Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
cuterlt
DH will do the laundry...when no one has any clean undies left
People here are so much more friendly. ;)

Making pasta in a roaster oven?

I am making lunch for my staff on Monday - spaghetti and meatballs. I have two large roasters and was going to use one for the sauce and meatballs. Can I boil water in the other roaster and cook the spaghetti? I don't want to have to do 5 batches of spaghetti (feeding about 25 people), so I thought this might be easier. But can you actually boil water and keep it at a boil in a roaster?
We do not have an oven at the office, only outlets. Do have a small, but icky microwave.
Or do I have to bite the bullet and just cook the pasta at home and bring it in?
Thanks!
cuterlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I would cook at home. then bring in.(and while I never would say this normally how about quick drops of olive oil on the cooked noodles)
Where do you work that you are making spaghetti and meatballs for lunch? sounds like my kind of office!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Kae
DIS Veteran

Under cook it just a bit , a little oil , put it in the fridge & rewarm it with hot water.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I'd cook it in a pot of boiling water the night before, and use the roaster as a warming oven with a bit of olive oil on the pasta to keep it from sticking. If it cooks in it for like 4hrs, I would think the pasta would get over-cooked and horrible mushy and nasty.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
cuterlt
DH will do the laundry...when no one has any clean undies left
People here are so much more friendly. ;)

Well we bought a HUGE stockpot to cook the spaghetti in. On sale at Macy's for $8.99! I want to try to do it all in one batch. Will probably make it the night before and then heat it up in the roaster right before lunch.
Java - I try to do a nice lunch every year for my staff as a thank you. We are very underpaid and overworked government employees who have to deal with some of the worst stuff.... Last year, lunch was prime rib roast, carrots, potatoes and onions in the roaster. This year I had to do a little cheaper.

Thanks everyone!
cuterlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterlt View Post
I am making lunch for my staff on Monday - spaghetti and meatballs. I have two large roasters and was going to use one for the sauce and meatballs. Can I boil water in the other roaster and cook the spaghetti? I don't want to have to do 5 batches of spaghetti (feeding about 25 people), so I thought this might be easier. But can you actually boil water and keep it at a boil in a roaster?
We do not have an oven at the office, only outlets. Do have a small, but icky microwave.
Or do I have to bite the bullet and just cook the pasta at home and bring it in?
Thanks!
I would cook the pasta at home the night before. Cook it as you would any other time. Drain the pasta and immediately rinse it in cold water. This will keep the noodles from sticking together and keep them from getting all starchy. Then, make your meatballs as you would in your roaster at work the next day. Add your pasta to your meatballs and sauce, when you feel it is the right time to get them nice and warm before you feed your co-workers. It should turn out just fine.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: