Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
lake queen
Mouseketeer

Rides and bags

OK, I understand that you cannot take anything on FJ, Hulk, Spiderman ect.

But, I really don't want to wait in a long line for lockers.

So, Can you just leave your stuff on the ride platform and pick it up when you are done? That is what we do at all other theme parks. Is there a rule against it?

Just trying to figure out how to skip the lockers, but yet still have a bag!
2006 - POP
2007- Dolphin/POP

2009- CSR with free dining!
2012-Disneyland
2014-CSR Christmas with FD
lake queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake queen View Post
OK, I understand that you cannot take anything on FJ, Hulk, Spiderman ect.

But, I really don't want to wait in a long line for lockers.

So, Can you just leave your stuff on the ride platform and pick it up when you are done? That is what we do at all other theme parks. Is there a rule against it?

Just trying to figure out how to skip the lockers, but yet still have a bag!
The reason you can't leave your stuff on the ride platform is that you get off the ride in a different area than you get on in pretty much each case where lockers are required.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
lake queen
Mouseketeer

Ok, now I get it! Thanks!

Any hints on how to get around the locker lines?
2006 - POP
2007- Dolphin/POP

2009- CSR with free dining!
2012-Disneyland
2014-CSR Christmas with FD
lake queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake queen View Post
Ok, now I get it! Thanks!

Any hints on how to get around the locker lines?
If you have to use a locker, there really isn't a way to cut down the locker lines. My advice would be to make due with a fanny pack or wear cargo shorts and not have a bag at all. I know some people like/need to take a lot of stuff with them to the parks but I would forgo the bag and make due w/o it.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

My advice would be to either travel light and don't bring a backpack. If you must bring one, then just rent a locker at the front of the park when you first come in. You can use that locker all day.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
If you have to use a locker, there really isn't a way to cut down the locker lines. My advice would be to make due with a fanny pack or wear cargo shorts and not have a bag at all. I know some people like/need to take a lot of stuff with them to the parks but I would forgo the bag and make due w/o it.
Are there really lines now for rides other than FJ? I've been 3 times in the last 3 years and didn't encounter problems with lines for the free lockers. We sometimes had to wait for someone to finish up from the kiosk we needed to retrieve our stuff, but that didn't take long at all.

I have to have a backpack to carry my camera, water and a few other things like chapstick, tylenol that I want with me almost all the time. Putting the bag with this stuff in a locker at the front of the park would do no good at all, because then it wouldn't be with me!
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

There are only SIX rides with Required Lockers:
Hulk (roller coaster)
Dragon Challenge (roller coaster)
Forbidden Journey (wild dark ride)
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (roller coaster)
Revenge of the Mummy (roller coaster)
Men in Black (wild dark ride)

You can bring your stuff on everything else. There are OPTIONAL lockers at the water rides ($3/hr) and are useful for keeping your stuff dry. A ziploc bag for your valuables + a merchandise bag (you can get one at any gift shop) can do just as well and for a lot less cost.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
spbink
Mouseketeer

I've been to Universal a bunch of times in the past couple of months, and while I brought a full purse at first, now I put just what I need into a clutch.

As mareed said, mostly using the lockers isn't usually very difficult - except for at Forbidden Journey, which can be a mess - and they are free. But I switched to carrying the smaller clutch because it just cut down on the time and hassle of going to the lockers (and maybe getting stuck behind people who don't understand them). It can cut five to fifteen minutes off the ride experience to skip the lockers, and they are only free for the amount of time to cover waiting in line and riding once, so if you want to turn around and ride again you have to go move your stuff.
spbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
Are there really lines now for rides other than FJ? I've been 3 times in the last 3 years and didn't encounter problems with lines for the free lockers. We sometimes had to wait for someone to finish up from the kiosk we needed to retrieve our stuff, but that didn't take long at all.
I doubt it but during the summer you might have some delays especially with all the new people coming to the parks who don't know they have to use a lockers on some attractions.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

If you are doing the rider switch because you have a child that's too small to ride, the waiting parent can "watch" the stuff while the other one rides- that can save you from having to use the lockers, too.

They are not required on every ride, though- just the really extreme ones; try to pack light if you can to avoid them altogether

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post

I have to have a backpack to carry my camera, water and a few other things like chapstick, tylenol that I want with me almost all the time. Putting the bag with this stuff in a locker at the front of the park would do no good at all, because then it wouldn't be with me!
Last May after finding out the hard way that even small flat crossbody purses (like the Vera Bradley mini hipster) were not even allowed on the rides. I came straight home, went online and ordered some thin cargo shorts. I'd never wear them anywhere else, but for Universal they are perfect. I put my digital camera in one pocket, cell phone in another, lip balm, a tiny screw top container for any meds (Motrin, Pepto pills, etc) and small suncreen in another. I also fold and put a quart zip lock in my pocket to hold the cell phone and camera on any water rides. My park ticket, CC, ID, and a little cash goes around my neck in a Vera Bradley ID holder and lanyard. Water you can get fro free from any CS restaurant (or else use a cabiner clip to clip your water to a belt loop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbink View Post
I've been to Universal a bunch of times in the past couple of months, and while I brought a full purse at first, now I put just what I need into a clutch.
When I was there in Dec a CM told me to either put my lanyard/ID case in my pocket or down my blouse so it wouldn't fly up. The same CM told the lady behind me that her little wristlet had to either go in her pocket or in the lockers. She let me hold my sunglasses though.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: