Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
SteamboatWillie1021
Mouseketeer

Just off the Dream 10/21 - 10/25/2012

This is my third Disney Cruise. Two times on The Magic (both itineraries) and this time on the Dream. The first cruise my DH and I got engaged on. The second cruise we had our 1 1/2 year old DD with us and this cruise we had my DD (now 5) and DS (2 1/2). We usually cruise with my brother and his family (wife, 2 boys), SIL's parents, and my parents. This time it was just us and my parents because it was a last minute cruise (FL res rate) and my nephews were in school.

DH surprised me on my birthday in the end of September and told me that they were offering a FL Res Rate leaving on our Anniversary. I was so excited. We booked that day! We invited everyone but like I said, because of the boys in school only my parents decided to join us. We booked an inside room but as a surprise for my bday/ our anniversary, my parents upgraded us to a veranda room 5A connecting to theirs. This was so awesome. First, having a Verandah was just amazing. We have had inside rooms the last two times and haven't missed it but now having had a Verandah, it will be hard to go back to not having one. Second, my children LOVE their Nummy and Pop Pop. So if we had been on another floor they would have been asking to go to Nummy and Pop Pop's room ALL THE TIME. So we ended up having Stateroom 9058 and Nummy and Pop Pop were in 9056.

Fast FWD to almost a month to the day later and we were driving over to Port Canaveral (we live in Orlando). We had received the 12:30 boarding time online but decided to just go over and get there when we get there knowing from previous cruises they didn't really check. Plus we wanted to beat all of the DCL buses over to avoid large crowds. So we left around 9:30am arriving in PC around 10:45. We unloaded our bags and they were wisked away by a Cast Member. My dad parked the car (we all came in one), and met us inside the terminal. We checked in with no problems even though I had not brought the cruise doc's with me. That seemed to be no big deal and the Cast Member printed them up in a few seconds. We were given our CC member lanyards and a boarding card number 3 and off we went to stand in line to get a pic with Mickey...which turned out to be Minnie by the time we got to the front of the line.

This first pic is of our last cruise when DD was 1 1/2...The second is of this cruise (I'm taking that picture).

Anyway, once we did that they started calling the numbers to board. Within just 10 minutes or so they were calling 3's to board. One thing to think about...please don't stand right in front of where people get in line when they call your number. There were a few families that just kind of camped out right there blocking the way and not moving so everyone else had to go around them to get in line. Ugh...some people

We took a quick photo and boarded the ship. We were told which way Cabanas was and that they were serving lunch. We were also told our staterooms would be ready at 1:30. We hustled up to Cabanas and had a fantastic lunch. I don't understand what people complain about as far as the food is concerned. I think it is fantastic...and we are kind of food snobs. We had been on RCCL for our honeymoon and the food was TERRIBLE. There is plenty to choose from and it is all VERY good. I do wish they would put some lids in Cabanas for the cups (same cups used at Dinner in the Dining Room for children and in the DR's they use lids)...would save some worry about the kids spilling...FYI...there were two drinks spilled this trip and both were ME ...so maybe I needed the lids.
My DH is a Vegan and said he wished they had more options for him but he said he was certainly never hungry. He ate a lot of fruit, salad, and there was always an option at Dinner for him...maybe not as far as desserts but he isn't a dessert person anyway.

After Cabanas we walked around exploring and trying to get to know the layout a little.

DS in the art gallery...hmmm, did that photo just wink at me? My DD said "Mommy! This Photo of Minnie just winked at me!" I kind of laughed and though...hmmhmmm....but it DID wink at them!

By the time we finished looking around and letting the little ones play mini golf it was time to go drop off our carry on bags at the room. We met our Stateroom Hostess, Missy. She was very friendly. She showed us around our room and how to use the Wave Phones (which we didn't use the entire trip). She asked how we wanted the beds set up for the kids. I thought I had seen on the boards that you could ask for an extra guard rail for the pull down but she said that wasn't the case. The guard rail is VERY small and knowing how our 5 year old moves around in her sleep we opted to just keep her on the couch/bed and put DS in with us. **One thing I noticed about the couch bed...now to be fair, I am a worrier...but I noticed right away that night when we were tucking DD in that Missy had left this big black nylon handle from the side of the bed hanging out. I tucked it under the mattress but I am shocked it was even there...a child that fell out of bed could easily be strangled. Anyway, just watch out for that if you worry like me.
Also in our state room was a huge gift basket from Dreams Unlimited. It had all kinds of cool stuff in it and was a big surprise for us since this was our first time using them...we couldn't be happier with them by the way... It had glow sticks, a really cool multi colored highlighter, an extension cord, all kinds of fruit snacks, two travel coffee mugs, two water bottles, a key chain that had a clock on it, decks of cards, wipes and even more that I am leaving out I'm sure...it was huge...kind of made the castaway club gift (a backpack, key chain, and snack) look weak

Ugh, well I apologize that I only have written about the first few hours of our trip but I am completely exhausted...and pretty jealous their is another family sitting at our table right now probably finishing up a delicious dessert and about to head to the show. DD passed out about 30 minutes ago (6:30pm) and DS is begging to go to bed now and I am not far behind. We need a rest from vaycay! Will continue tomorrow.

Just found some photos of the last cruise on my photo bucket account that I am adding in...I can't believe how much my DD has grown...and how different DH and I look.

Last Cruise...

This Cruise
Ok, I am seriously going to bed now...
SteamboatWillie1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Ohhh I'm looking forward to more of your Trip Report! Thanks for sharing with us.
MomToPrincePhillip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
SteamboatWillie1021
Mouseketeer

Just Off Dream -Continued-

Once we were in our staterooms we decided to get our suits on and hit the Aqua Duck. We had packed our suits in our day bags but our luggage did arrive while we were changing. First up on the Aqua Duck..Nummy and Pop Pop!

The wait wasn't long...maybe 15 minutes. DH headed to the Mickey Pool with DD and DS while I waited upstairs to take a photo of Nummy and Pop Pop's first ride.

After their return I went down an got DS out of the pool because he was looking ready for his nap. He fell asleep on me and I sat with him and enjoyed a Drink of the day at one of the tables near the pool with Pop Pop while Nummy and my DH stayed in the Mickey Pool with DD. The DOTD was in a souvenir hurricane plastic cup and the server told me if I brought that cup to the bar every day I would get half off the drink of the day (full price DOTD was $10.75...a bit much since their may have been only a drop or two of alcohol in it..not strong at all) He also tried to sell me the water package which I think he said was $17 for 12 bottles he would deliver to the stateroom. Pop Pop was waving NO behind him so I politely declined. Pop Pop handed me a cup of H20 from the beverage station to try and shockingly ( I am a bottle water snob ) it was actually very good.

By the time DD was ready to get out of the pool it was time for the Sail Away Party! DS was waking up and was hungry so we grabbed a slice of pizza for him and headed up to I think DECK 12 to watch.

After the Sail Away party we headed back down to our staterooms to change for dinner (first seating 5:45). We were in Animators Palate the first night. Which was a favorite of mine on the Magic..probably the least favorite on this ship. Not sure why...the food was great, had Mushroom Risotto for an app which was one thing I was hoping they still served. I think it was the noise...seemed so loud, that it was located in the back of the ship so I felt the ship moving a lot, and I was really hoping that Crush would be a bit more interactive with our children. We were not sitting against the wall so he spoke mainly to the tables right by the wall and then kind of did a show part way through dinner. In no way did I not like it...I'm just saying it wasn't my favorite of the three. In fact, anything I say I wasn't crazy about on the ship I am digging for..meaning...I feel like this is the best vacation for our family hands down. I really love every second of it...even if I am just sitting quietly on the verandah or holding DS while he naps enjoying a drink of the day. LOVE IT!

We met our servers Egi and Costi....LOVE LOVE LOVED them! They were amazing. Great with the kids, great with us. Can't express how much we all loved them. Gave them our info on the last day and I will be really bummed if we don't hear from them when they get off of the ship in November.

After dessert we headed off to Bingo with a short stop to see a princess, take a photo with the Donald Statue in the Atrium and a quick Chip or er, Dale sighting in the hall. I should really know the difference between the two. I know the noses are different colors but I get them mixed up. My dad always says Chip has a brown nose like a chocolate chip...but they both look like chocolate chips to me! YUM.

After Bingo we went to the stateroom and changed into more comfy clothes..mainly wanted to get the little ones in their jammies and bring their blankies to the show but hey, since we were there...our comfy clothes were calling our names too.

Then we were off to see the first show. Golden Mickeys. In the past this wasn't a favorite of mine however, I think they have made some changes to it and there seemed to be many more characters added. It was absolutely amazing. We sat on the upper level of the theater which we did for 3 of the 4 shows and I really liked sitting up there. Great view, not as crowded. So head to lvl 4 for those seats. DS LOVED LOVED LOVED the shows each night. I wasn't sure how he would like them but he clapped, insisted Pop Pop clap, and danced like a dancing fool each and every night! DD on the other hand would fall asleep within the first 15 mins of each show. Not because she didn't like them but because she doesn't take naps anymore so by that point she was done.

I think she did make it through the Golden Mickeys though...because I do remember going back to the room afterwards and we all sat on the verandah looking at the stars and even saw a few shooting stars.

We were all zonked at that point. All of us completely passed out....in the most comfortable beds I might add...If anyone knows what kind of beds these are, please let me know...LOVED THEM. All of us love did.

Ok, day 2, Nassau tomorrow. The wind is howling here (Hurricane Sandy passing by), kids are napping ( DD woke up with a fever), my cat is snoring next to me on the couch and that sounds good to me too...time for a nap.
SteamboatWillie1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR!

If you don't mind me asking, did you happen to go to any of the sit down restaurants for breakfast or lunch and if so, did they offer any vegan options. I have heard that chefs are accommodating at dinner, but have not heard about what they might offer for vegans during breakfast and lunch. We're taking my mother on the Dream next year and she is vegan, so hoping there are options for her. Thank you.
Señor DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Desi
Seek color and ye shall receive...
There are many Tag Fairies.... no-one said they're all girls though!

Did Sandy impact your cruise at all?
Cruise #1 Disney Magic Nov.14-21-2009 Double Dip
Cruise #2 Disney Dream Nov.13-18 2011
Cruise #3 Disney Fantasy Nov. 23-30 2013
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Tommys Mommy
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your TR so far. Can't wait to read more about it and look at more photos!!
Disney Dream: June 2012; June 2014
Tommys Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Loving your report. My friend was on your cruise and I keep hoping to see her in your pics!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Oh and Dale has a maroon nose- your picture is with Chip and a dark brown nose

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
jennab05
Mouseketeer

enjoying your trip report so far, looks like so much fun!
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Getting on the dream next Sunday! Can't wait! Thanks for your report. But I do have an important question...

I thought that the DOTD was already a half-price special? Did that change? You can only get the DOTD special if you have the souvenir cup?
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
jenpink
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your report
jenpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Andianna
Mouseketeer

You kids are so cute! Enjoying your trip report.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
nanhol
Mouseketeer

Subbing! So excited to hear more! We're taking our first cruise in February on the Dream (after visiting WDW). Your pics & descriptions are much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
triciari
DIS Veteran

Yeah! We were with you! We sure lucked out getting off on Thursday! It was our first cruise. Can't wait to read more! -Tricia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: