Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Have you looked into renting a house? There's plenty out there, and it can give you the chance of living in a great neighborhood while you learn the area and save up to purchase a place.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

I find renting a house in Orlando to be a much better deal than an apartment. Granted, you may have to shell out $100 for a lawn mower, but it's worth it! There are tons of rentals on the market right now! I lived right off OBT and Holden, right near where you are, and about 15 years ago I was paying $650 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home with a pool!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #33
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
I find renting a house in Orlando to be a much better deal than an apartment. Granted, you may have to shell out $100 for a lawn mower, but it's worth it! There are tons of rentals on the market right now! I lived right off OBT and Holden, right near where you are, and about 15 years ago I was paying $650 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home with a pool!
And many landlords will just add $50 or so to your monthly bill and have a yard service come do your lawn. Just ask. And as for a condo or town home the lawn service is always included.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

Welcome to the neighborhood-

I live off Texas/Americana so I know what strip-mall you are talking about The area during the day isn't as horrible but still not something I choose to visit-

-em
Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #35
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

Now I'm really curious to see both of these areas. I'm always fascinated by what people from different parts of the country consider good, iffy and horrible. I live 6 miles from DLR and many would probably consider that a bad area . Truth is, it's as safe as you make it. I seldom go out after dark on foot, but my roommate wanders the streets late at night (no, he's not a hooker and has been accosted twice. So, it's really a relative description, I think, when describing how safe an area is.
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

If I couldn't take a walk at night, I wouldn't want to live there. Thats where I draw the line.....I live in a pretty diverse neighborhood, but we all keep an eye out for each other. An informal "Neighborhood Watch" type of thing.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

We have called the police twice already but not on our neighbors. It is building management that we do not trust. Somebody with a key stole from us less than 48 hours after we moved in. We have our suspect but the evidence is purely circumstancial. We had the locks changed on Monday. Yesterday we had damages inside the apartment which occurred while we were out. I think that building management is not to be trusted here so we are already planning our next move.

I am working though. I started my first day outside of orientation yesterday. I work for Universal Studios. I expected to be working for Disney since my supervisor at the Disney Museum was recommending me to WDW, but Universal made an offer to me first. It is convenient that the bus stops right outside of my door and right outside of the backstage area of Universal Studios so that it nice.

I work as a photographer at the front gate of Universal Studios so whatever was said about me for the time that I photographed for the San Francisco Giants must have been good. I am just glad to be working so soon after arriving here.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #38
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I'm glad you are working, but, two calls to the police in your first week is rough!

I know nothing about living in the Orlando area, but, it sounds like renting a house would be a good thing to think about.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
Saxton
DIS Veteran

It will get better. You've got a job and now you can take some time to get to know the area before you move. Congratulations on the job!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #40
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Sorry for the troubles you've had already. Have you looked into the apartments they built right next to Universal on Vineland Rd? (north side of Universal property)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for thinking about me. I have not been checking e-mail because we gave away our desk top, which was not cost effective to ship since it was old anyway by computer standards. I need to shop for a new computer but have been doing six-day work weeks and ten-hour days. I have a job that not many people want to take and many quit quickly (six people in the last couple of weeks) because it is hot, we stand all day, rude customers are taken personally by some people etc.

I did get to get in "free" to see Isles of Adventure though and was very impressed by the Forbidden Journey in Harry Potter's section.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #42
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

I grew up in Florida and lived in Orlando for several years. Certain areas (especially around Florida Mall) are kind of sketchy. We last lived in the Hunters Creek area and it was pretty nice.

We eventually left just because we hated the whole Orlando area (except for Disney). We found the only time we had any fun was at the parks.

I hope you have a better experience than we did! Congrats on the move etc. It does take some time to get adjusted to a new place, job etc. Im sure you'll find your way.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #43
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Which is the most gay-friendly neighborhood in Orlando?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #44
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

I would say Thorton Park area in DownTown Orlando. It's the area on the East side of Lake Eola. The next place I would say is College Park which is a few miles North of there.

Thorton Park Info

College Park Info (you might want to mute the talking people who appear on each page of this site)
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #45
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaboy29 View Post
I would say Thorton Park area in DownTown Orlando. It's the area on the East side of Lake Eola. The next place I would say is College Park which is a few miles North of there.

Thorton Park Info

College Park Info (you might want to mute the talking people who appear on each page of this site)
Thank you Colaboy. I am heading over to the Thorton Park area today because I have heard that there are some lovely old houses to see, although I also heard that many of them are being used as lawyers' offices.

I have not seen much of Orlando yet. I have been working too much. We have had mandatory overtime due to the high turnover rate at work. Plus we have a lot of people calling in sick or just not coming in or calling in either so I have been working and sleeping and not much else, including looking for another job like I should be doing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: