Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

What do you y'all know about the Marbella? The apartments are in a gated community so that should help some. We are also arriving three days early and staying in a hotel on International Drive. There is a bus that goes from I-Drive right past those apartments. I want to get on it and see what kind of people are riding with me. That will tell me what kind of neighbors that we shall have.

Nothing is ever a sure thing though. Here in San Francisco we have very expensive condos very near encampments in the park resulting in danger. Another thing is that right across the street from a mall where little thugs like to rob people of cell phones and stuff is a neighborhood full of mansions that look like fairytale houses. That kind of contrast seems to be increasingly normal in urban areas.

Last edited by SanFranciscan; 03-20-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Retyped something.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

I live in that part of town and knock on wood- have never had a problem. I'd steer clear of walking OBT (or anywhere in the area) in the dark though- It gives me enough creeps to drive some of that street in the day

-em
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Schotz
Mouseketeer

I have never had a problem yet in orlando, however I notice most neighborhoods enforce high fences, gated security and timelocks on doors. I would be careful but no cause for alarm. The only incident I had in orlando was with a mears taxi driver. He was very late to pick our party up and we tried to be cheerful and forget about him being late. One of the people in the taxi politely asked what country the man was from. He made an angry face and said he was from haiti, drove rough, took some long dark back road back to our hotel. We had kids with us that got scared. He went on talking defensivly and really ruined our nite. You can never tell where evil will lurk. Once in 1988, we put a large disney shopping down for a second to take a family picture in epcot. After the photo, bag was gone. Those are the only 2 times I've had any kind of thing like that happen in orlando and I go almost twice a year.
Schotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
Thank you for your concern. I am nervous about moving at all because I don't know Orlando and have been there only twice. I just looked for something along the transit lines and close to shopping. I saw which stores are in the mall, and they are not the kind of stores that would want to set up shop near crack houses.
Everyone feels that way about a new city. You will quickly learn the best routes. And feel free to ask here (or IM me) and we can help you if you have other questions.

I am assuming you both share a car? On your days off I would suggest exploring the areas around you. Specifically the Hunter's Creek area. See a house for rent? Give them a call and find out prices (check Craig's List, too. Ask us if you don't recognize an area). Us Central Floridians will help you out as best we can.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Thank you all. I appreciate it. I have to do well in Florida and make new friends there. It is the only way to get over the pain of leaving my home here.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

I've been in the same boat when a job moved me out to Las Vegas, and all my friends and family were back in Florida. But there was no Disney community out there back there. Heck, the Internet was barely formed when I lived out there. I was still dialing in the a BBS for access. So you'll find lots of support here to help you adjust.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Since your going to be living in that neighborhood I thought I would suggest a good pizza joint, and by joint I mean the type of place you would never ever pull into unless someone told you to! This place is a hidden gem, and yes I know it looks like a dump on the outside, but give it a try!

Rossi's on OBT...

http://www.rossispizza.com/
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
Since your going to be living in that neighborhood I thought I would suggest a good pizza joint, and by joint I mean the type of place you would never ever pull into unless someone told you to! This place is a hidden gem, and yes I know it looks like a dump on the outside, but give it a try!

Rossi's on OBT...

http://www.rossispizza.com/
Thank you. We will check out the pizza place.

It feels weird to know that in two more days this will not be my home anymore. I have now lived in this place for about as long as I had been alive when I first came to San Francisco. From what I am hearing about my new neighborhood, we may be short-term tenants at the next place. At least we are renters. I am reading stories of people who bought property not knowing what they were getting into because the conditions are different at night or the agent showed them the property by routes that did not reveal what was close by from another direction etc. If the reviews are honest on the real estate review site, the tenants think that the place is well-maintained at least.

We are taking Amtrak to close the gap between the time that our rent is up here and the time that the next place shall be available. This is our opportunity to adjust to the fact that life as we have known it for the past 23 years is over.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Arrived in Orlando on Tuesday. Saw new address yesterday. Our apartment is not ready, but we move in on Saturday. Complex looks nice enough. Neighborhood is dicey, but nobody bothered us on the buses yesterday or today. We might get a car for convenience sake.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

Welcome to Florida!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Welcome home neighbor!

And I lived right across OBT from you for years, its not all that bad, just be aware of your surroundings!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Thank you all so much for your concern. I have not yet spent the night in the new neighborhood, but I have seen the apartment and ridden around on the buses through the area. Nobody has bothered us. I understand your concerns because those same demographics in San Francisco would be a disaster. I blame political correctness for that though. I think that San Francisco is too liberal, even though I am not a right-winged person myself. If you telll people that it is okay to behave like fools, they will act like fools.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

We applied for another apartment on Saturday instead of moving into original address becaus we heard so much bad about the neighborhood. We signed the lease today so we had better be happy! The second apartment was some sort of government place with a bunch of red tape that we did not know about beforehand.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #29
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

What area is the new apartment located in?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaboy29 View Post
What area is the new apartment located in?

Southeastern Orlando on a small street. Basically we are at Americana and San Antonio. The only trouble zone that we have encountered so far is that strip mall with the liquor store. In our old neighborhood it was the 7-Eleven by the beach. Just find the hangout for the town drunks and stir clear I guess.

We will know more when the lease is up. New people from out of town are so easily taken advantage of that it was pointless to stay in hotel rooms to keep looking. Off the record conversations are how to really learn about neighborhoods because so many things are illegal for real estate agents to say that they are scared to say anything more than the number of bedrooms that a place has.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: