Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Gio6908
Earning My Ears

Talking New Disney Princess Movie?

Why isn't there a hispanic/latina princess??? My daughter loves the disney princesses from princess and the frog, pocahontas and Aladdin but she wonders why there isn't one like her that she can relate to? Her favorite is jasmine but it would be a great if they have a princess for each ethnicity! What does everyone think?
Gio6908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
TheDonald
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whylak View Post
hi Gio6908,
I also think that it could be a chance for Disney to become more fans in the whole wide world. But they are maybe afraid how the other ethnic groups will react when there is a hispanic or latina princess? Because there exist also no chinese hero or asian princess...
Mulan...not a princess, but a hero nonetheless.
TheDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
themermaidgirl
Mouseketeer

Alrighty, I understand this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Disney should create a princess based on their personality and story, growth, morals, etc., rather than trying to please various groups.

Don't get me wrong, having Tiana, Mulan and Pocahontas was fantastic (I even have strong Native American heritage and am very proud of it), but when I look at a Disney princess for inspiration, I don't look specifically because she's the same race as me, I look at it more like :

Belle: Brains, kindness, doesn't fall for stereotypes
Pocahontas: Family values, culture differences/overcoming obstacles, love beyond borders
Mulan: Sacrifice for those she loves, feminism (in her defeat of Shan-Yu as a woman/herself)

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to look up to someone and see that they're the same race as you and admire their feats, that's absolutely fine.
But when it comes down to "Let's have a Disney Princess because she's Latina", and not for what story could they tell, just her race, it seems... I don't know, odd to me.

I hope I'm not offending anyone here And if anyone does take offence, I'm very sorry!

Taylor, born to be a Princess!

Tumblr
DL 1998, WDW Sept. 2008, DL Sept. 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

themermaidgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
TheHothive
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by themermaidgirl View Post
Alrighty, I understand this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Disney should create a princess based on their personality and story, growth, morals, etc., rather than trying to please various groups.

Don't get me wrong, having Tiana, Mulan and Pocahontas was fantastic (I even have strong Native American heritage and am very proud of it), but when I look at a Disney princess for inspiration, I don't look specifically because she's the same race as me, I look at it more like :

Pocahontas: Family values, culture differences/overcoming obstacles, love beyond borders
Mulan: Sacrifice for those she loves, feminism (in her defeat of Shan-Yu as a woman/herself)

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to look up to someone and see that they're the same race as you and admire their feats, that's absolutely fine.
But when it comes down to "Let's have a Disney Princess because she's Latina", and not for what story could they tell, just her race, it seems... I don't know, odd to me.

I hope I'm not offending anyone here And if anyone does take offence, I'm very sorry!

I'll agree with you. The values that their characters portray are more important than their physical appearrance, race or whatsoever, what's important is the lessons that viewers/ audience learn from them.
TheHothive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Disney Cat
What does an actor want with a conscience, anyway? ** I'd rather be smart than be an actor.

Disney will surely have a latina princess some day. In the meantime, there is no question as to Disney's love of all that is hispanic: Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Blame It on the Samba (from Melody Time), Elfego Baca (TV), the Disney documentary, Walt & El Grupo and my personal favourite:

ZORRO!!!

Guy Williams will ALWAYS the one & only Zorro for me!

Disney Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
j&j620
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well said!

No ticker for me

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
klhill
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Very well said. I don't care what race the character is but what I look for is the value within the character and that is most important aspect.
klhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
SouthernExplorer
Mouseketeer

Smile

I grew up in Texas, and personally knew many hispanics and Mexicans. In general, Mexico already has an extremely important Queen they look up to both in a religious and a cultural context. Some hispanics and Mexicans also have a tragic princess-type figure in Selena. Her death was as deeply felt by some in the hispanic and Mexican communities as the death of Princess Diana was to some Britains. I'm not sure that there is a need for a Disney princess among hispanics and Mexicans. It would be interesting to know if Disney has already researched this possibility and what kind of feedback they have received.

It can also be argued that Pocahontas, as an indigenous North American, can be a role model for all the North American indengenous groups and ethnicities which of course does include many Mexicans and hispanics.

I also tend to agree with a PP that Disney should build a character based on values such as honesty, integrity, strength, etc. I think society gets into a mess when we emphazise race or ethnicity over a person's character. American slavery and the Holocaust are tragic examples that come to mind.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
elilala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonald View Post
Mulan...not a princess, but a hero nonetheless.
They consider Mulan one of the princesses, just so you guys know
Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I think and kid want to have a hero to look up to and it's even better if that hero looks like them or is simular in some way to that child. I think a Latino Princess would be great. I think they just need to find the right story. Imagine the great music! I would totally see a movie like that. East Indian would be a good one too.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: