Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

And we are off...

I am addicted to most things Disney … Walt Disney World, Disney movies, Disney TV shows, etc. I can change about any conversation into a Disney one and we can come up with just about any excuse to schedule a trip. Those pesky Annual Passes whisper to me - “book a trip, book a trip” and most of the time I listen. When D23 dangled Destination D in front of me, I had to go, didn’t I? So we went to Walt Disney World May 11th - 17th. I will be posting pictures from two different cameras and my cell phone.

Who are we?

ME: Tracy , 41 I am a DOCP (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Planner) and I have recently learned I have PWDD (Preoccupation With Disney Disorder)thanks to the DISer BoBippity. I am either planning a WDW trip, writing about a WDW trip, or writing a pretrip report about our next WDW trip. I dream about Walt Disney World all the time [IMG] . Bill and I make plans for the next trip while we are in WDW. It is a sickness that I never want a cure for.
I will make a confession up front, you will not see one picture of me from this trip, none were taken. I have already been punished by oregonmommyof2, I promise there will be pictures of me when we go in December. I am very overweight and extremely upset with myself at the moment, but am as we speak working on the issue.

HIM: Bill he always has a smile on his face, 41 (as of this week), he loves Disney as well, he just hides it a lot better than I do. He is a computer geek, wickedly intelligent, and has excellent driving skills. It is NOT easy driving a power wheelchair through massive crowds at WDW, but he does it with ease. Bill has Cerebral Palsy and has never let him hold it back from doing anything he wants to do. He is my hero.

Here are two pictures from us on previous trips:

We love Dopey!!

On our favorite ride EVER!!

** photo credit oregondaddyof2 **

We live in Southern Illinois so the logical choice of an airport would be St. Louis, but we are NOT logical people. We drove to Nashville, TN. Now why would we do that? We had to meet his parents at their vacation home in the Smoky Mountains after the WDW trip. This way we would be closer to that destination. I will never do two back to back trips like this again. Bill and I are just not Smoky Mountain people. We look at the wonderful mountains, ohh and ahh for about a day and are ready to go home and plan our next WDW trip.

Some people think we are crazy, but face it, you have to be as well or you wouldn’t be reading this now would you?

Besides the Disney planning disorder, I also suffer from chronic lateness when it comes to leaving for a WDW trip. I have all the intentions in the world of getting to the hotel and going to bed early. Does that every happen? Not that I can remember. It has turned into a joke, a sad pathetic but funny joke between the two of us. Now this time it wasn’t just me, Bill decided to download some movies onto his Droid and that took longer than expected. So we were finally off and before we made it to Nashville it was dark. Bill decided to watch his movie “The Other Guys” and we piped the audio through the van speakers. A good idea until they started shooting and it freaked me out before I realized it was the movie. Oh and the sirens didn’t help my nerves either. I kept looking for a cop and Bill was cackling at me. The hotel gave us nice room we had picked up dinner and were off to sleep before we knew it.

We usually take the first flight out but changed it up this time and weren’t flying until 11:20am. The hotel doesn’t have an accessible shuttle and we were going to have me drop off Bill and the luggage, go back and park the van (would have been free parking while we were gone) and take their shuttle back. In the end we just decided to park the van at the airport. They had some handicap parking spaces free right next to a shuttle stop. We were out of the van, I had taken the luggage out, and a shuttle van pulled up… shuttle mojo .

The shuttle van was awesome! The ramp built into the floor at the front right of the van, they had a great tie down system and it went quickly. Bill got to sit up toward the front for once:

I sat down and took a picture of where the heck I parked the van so we could get back to it.

Great airport mojo for the line to get our boarding passes:

We do this instead of online because they have to check Bill’s wheelchair. They note any damage, the color, what type of batteries, etc. Then we got in line to go through security. I love the Nashville airport, the wait was so short. I had decided to check all bags except for the one on Bill’s chair. It was great not to have to put all that stuff in bins. I got to walk through the metal detector while Bill was doing this:

We walked to our gate picking up something to drink along the way. We both just messed with our phones wasting time. One the way back from the bathroom I did a double take. I told Bill I thought the guy behind us was the lead singer from Lonestar, a country group. I said I wasn’t sure. Bill said “his name is right there on his bag”. So I sneaked a peek and the tag said: “Richie McDonald”. Decisions, decisions… do I say anything to him? I didn’t want to have a bunch of people bother him. I took a stealth picture:

I couldn’t take it so I said “excuse me, are you Richie McDonald from Lonestar”. His face lit up, he smiled and said “yes I am”. I told him I didn’t want to bother him, I just wanted to let him know “Amazed” was one of my favorite songs. He thanked me, he told Bill Hi, and I told him I didn’t want to take up anymore of his time. I turned to talk to Bill and about 5 minutes later I got a tap on the back. It was him asking me my name, he pulled a CD out of his backpack and signed it for me:

Wow I didn’t expect that. I said thank you about 3 times and he went off toward his gate. About 15 minutes later I heard them calling for boarding on the other side and Richie came back over told us to have a good flight and to tell Mickey Hi for him. What a sweet guy!

Before long we were called to board. They let persons with disabilities on the plane first. Since Bill has a power chair they almost always let us be the first ones on the plane so I can get him situated. I noticed the plane looked a little different than the ones we had flown before. I went to step right before the door of the plane and instead of it feeling like a hard surface it was squishy and twisted my ankle a bit. The flight attendant asked if I was ok and I said I was fine, got Bill where he wanted to sit, then showed the ground guys how to work the chair. After I sat down I noticed the strap on my left Mickey Croc was broken, it must have happened when I stepped weird.

We took off, got clearance to use electronic devices, and got Bill set up to watch a movie. I saw that he fell asleep so that was my cue to do the same. The flight seemed fast and we had the smoothest landing we have ever had. I want that pilot every time! By the time we got the chair and got down to ME it was 3pm. We got some ME mojo too. Look at the lines:

A CM always has to request an accessible bus, one came in about 5 minutes. Here is the annual Bill hanging off the side of a bus picture:

I sat in the front for two reasons: 1) I seem to want that Walt Disney World sign shot every trip and 2) being a big woman I don’t like squeezing past all those people when it comes time to get off the bus. It makes me uncomfortable, them uncomfortable so I just would rather not do it. Bill has no problems with it:

I did get a picture of the sign but YUCK they need to clean their windshields every once in a while don’t you think?

There was a French speaking family right behind me and it was so cute when the video came on. The little boy was talking fast in French then I heard “Mickey Moust” and “Nemo”. That just made me smile even more than I already was.

We stopped at Caribbean Beach first, then:

Everyone got their luggage, strollers, etc and went in while I patiently waited for Bill. We had done online check in so I didn’t care about the rush to get in.

Next installment… Where is the bus?

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 07-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

Here!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I looove the picture of you two on TSM! That's awesome. The celebrity encounter sounds very cool, it's great that he was so nice about it.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Great start Tracy! Can't wait to read more!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

What an awesome thing to wake up on birthday and find... A TR by Tracy!!! Its got to be a good year when it starts off this way!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Great start! I am looking forward to following along.You have some great trip Mojo going

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo! You got started! Can't wait to read more of your trip.

You guys had some major mojo going on this morning, huh? Shuttle Van mojo, boarding pass line mojo, celebrity meet mojo (how cool was that???) and ME line mojo. I'm hoping this keeps up throughout your trip. It sure made for a good start!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report

Last edited by ddstratton; 06-12-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Rozz
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! I've been looking forward to your trip report. The title is intriguing. Can't wait to read more!

Happy Birthday to Tinker_Tam!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Joining.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

Sounds like a wonderful first day and how amazing to meet a singer that you like and have him be so friendly.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Hello there! What a great start, wonderful mojo so far, and to meet the guy from Lonestar?? I love I'm Already There too.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
beckanoah
Obsessed with Disney! Smack dab in the middle of the country!

Whoohoo!

Hopefully first page. Been waiting not so patiently for this report :D

I broke my no disboard posting streak too. It's been a while!
“When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies” J.M. Barrie
Becky, Single-Mama to dd!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmommyof2 View Post
Here!!
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I looove the picture of you two on TSM! That's awesome. The celebrity encounter sounds very cool, it's great that he was so nice about it.

Can't wait to read more!
I am so grateful to Terry for taking that picture, Bill looks so happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
Great start Tracy! Can't wait to read more!!!
Thanks for joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Tam View Post
What an awesome thing to wake up on birthday and find... A TR by Tracy!!! Its got to be a good year when it starts off this way!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Great start! I am looking forward to following along.You have some great trip Mojo going
Thanks for being here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Woo Hoo! You got started! Can't wait to read more of your trip.

You guys had some major mojo going on this morning, huh? Shuttle Van mojo, boarding pass line mojo, celebrity meet mojo (how cool was that???) and ME line mojo. I'm hoping this keeps up throughout your trip. It sure made for a good start!
Hi Darla!! We were happy with how the day was going, thats for sure .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
Welcome back! I've been looking forward to your trip report. The title is intriguing. Can't wait to read more!

Happy Birthday to Tinker_Tam!
Hi Rozz, thanks for joining. I always have such trouble with the report titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Joining in!

Sounds like a wonderful first day and how amazing to meet a singer that you like and have him be so friendly.
Hi Lessa, he was such a nice guy. Part of me wanted to ask for a picture with him but didn't want to draw attention to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Hello there! What a great start, wonderful mojo so far, and to meet the guy from Lonestar?? I love I'm Already There too.
HELLO!! I love that song too, but Amazed it what popped in my head .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckanoah View Post
Hopefully first page. Been waiting not so patiently for this report :D

I broke my no disboard posting streak too. It's been a while!
So nice to see you here, thanks for joining!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
piglet50
DIS Veteran

yea, you're here! loved the picture of bill in the back of the bus. he looks so happy. can't wait to read more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: