Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

A/P and Discounts on Resorts

Hi everyone

I have a question about getting an annual pass. I am booking a trip for next November (I know, long time away....BUT) and am contemplating the annual pass. I will be returning the following October.

I am wondering with the Annual pass, do you get room discounts? I thought in reading some peoples posts that they were using there AP's to get room discounts? If so, how much is the discount typically?

And the TiW card? how much is that? I am trying to figure if it would be worth it for me to get it (I know, I'm a preeeeplanner:D) or to stick with another discount that Disney offers.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? Thanks so much.

(I also have a trip for this Nov...would it be worth it to switch to an AP for this trip...would it expire for the next trip before I renewed it? How does that work)
Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

If you purchase the AP for your November trip it will expire one year from the first date of use. So you will be able to use the AP again in October before it expires. Here is the current discounts being offered for AP holders.
Annual Passholder Room-Only Discounts

Stay dates: 4/25/11-6/2/11. Get a discount of 20%-40% off regular "Rack" rates. Pricing and percent off will vary by resort type and date. Use code L2H. Rates not available for all dates and resorts, but generally the discounts run as follows:

Save 20% at All Star Music
Save 25% at most Disney Value Resorts and Port Orleans - French Quarter
Save 30% at most Disney Moderate Resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian Resort
Save 35% at most Disney Deluxe Resorts
Save 40% at Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts
Please note that if you would like the Dining Plan with these rates, there is a special Annual Passholders package.

Book by 6/2/11.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for replying.

It seems like they put out discounts in blocks? Do they change like the PIN discounts change?

Also, if it's just a room discount, would I get a discount on the park admission for my SIL coming with me? Good to know there is something for the dining package as well.

I'm just trying to see if it is worth it, when I only come once a year. It seems like it might be, if the discounts make up for the price.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
Thanks for replying.

It seems like they put out discounts in blocks? Do they change like the PIN discounts change?

Also, if it's just a room discount, would I get a discount on the park admission for my SIL coming with me? Good to know there is something for the dining package as well.

I'm just trying to see if it is worth it, when I only come once a year. It seems like it might be, if the discounts make up for the price.
Yes, AP rates generally are released in blocks and will change over time just like PIN offers, Disney VISA offers, public discounts, etc. Ticket discounts haven't been included in any of the more recent offers for anybody.

As far as the TiW card goes, it's $75 and gets you 20% off of food and drinks (including adult beverages) at participating restaurants. An 18% tip is automatically included in all TiW checks and there are some blackout dates (usually major holidays like Thanksgiving). One card can be used for up to 10 guests dining on the same check.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
nathanyell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
Thanks for replying.

Jennifer,

One thing I did not know is that you can book AP rates even with the intention of getting an AP. For my current trip, that is what I have done. I will have to go to the Theme park upon arrival to get my AP.

So watch the boards for the AP discounts and call CRO to book.

Hope this helps!

Brian

nathanyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I've had my AP for about 9 months and I had been watching AP rates for several months before that because I had the intention of buying the AP quite a bit ahead of that. From what I've seen, the AP rates are 2%-5% more that the general public room discounts and have limitted availability. They also have been getting released fairly close to the travel dates (3 months out has been the longest).

Basically what I'm saying is that if you're contemplating an AP then do it solely based on the ticket prices and don't count on savings on your room.

TiW has a break even point of $350. It's pretty easy to spend a lot more than that if you like TS meals.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
princesscharming
Mouseketeer

I'm hoping for an AP discount, even though I already booked with a GP discount (and have not bought an AP yet.) I am basing almost purely on the room discount and TiW. And, I will only be going once this year.

It's all about the math!!

To me for a week stay at a deluxe, a 35% discount (which might likely be the going rate these days, since that's what the last two releases gave) would make me come out ahead by a small amount. (40% would definitely be worth it.) This is compared to free dining, in which you would then have to pay rack rate for the room, as well as the GP discount with no AP and paying food OOP or with purchased DDP. Of course the difference is in TiW. I really want to justify the AP so I can have the flexbility of eating what we want and getting that 20% discount. There is also a 10% discount on many retail locations too. It's hard to figure what we'll exactly spend on food while we're there. But I did my best. The way I figure it, if getting the AP breaks even with our best alternate route, then I'll still be ahead because we'll have the dining flexibility. (I'm all for saving $$, but don't really want to deal with credits and what we can and can't order, on vacation.)

Now the cost being worth it if you're staying mod or value, that I hadn't done the math on. But it might be more economical to do something like free dining.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: