Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

akershus vs 1900 park fare dinner

Hi - Has anyone had dinner at either Akershus or 1900 Park Fare? Please let me know your opinions on each. Also what kind of food is offered at each? I am not sure if my family will like the Norwegian food (also is it buffet?) . We had lunch at CRT last year and although we liked it, we want to try another where we can still get a princess or two for DD.

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
jjiillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

we've had dinner at akershus and breakfast at 1900.

a major plus of akershus is that a picture is included in the price of the meal... unlike at 1900 where you pay $35ish. akershus is all princesses whereas 1900 has the stepsisters, lady tremaine and prince charming with cinderella. the appetizer part of akershus is buffet which includes cold cuts, different salad type things, cheeses, etc. you get a choice of entree... we both really enjoyed the pork chop. then they bring a plate of desserts to share.

1900 is a buffet. We loved breakfast there. For dinner I would probably consider Akershus a must do if you have little girls.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=43

This is from our dinner last May. Note that I was rather cranky and sick this trip--I had a headache and my throat was closed from a run in with a tree nut... plus I got bit in the face by a bug right on the way to the restaurant--lol. For me to say that I enjoyed my entree was a miracle with all that going on, lol.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
bbangel
My friends call me the font of useless knowledge

I've had dinner at both.

Akershus is definately more hectic. You wait outside until they call your name and then you wait in the line for your picture (ours was with Belle). We all found something to eat from both the appetizer buffet and the menu. The character interaction felt a little rushed compared to CRT. The desserts were not a hit with anyone but we were fairly full so it didn't much matter.

1900 had slightly better character interaction. The Tremains are a riot. If you like buffets this is a good one. We all found things to enjoy.

I would go back to both but would give the edge to 1900 unless I was looking for another princess (like Ariel).
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I prefer Akershus for dinner. the food was real good and the caracter weren't rushed when we went in October. you get a cold buffet as appetizer, then you order your meal and you get a family style serving of dessert. We also got our picture taken with Belle which is included in the price and then Snow White, Aurora, Arial and Cinderella came to our table during the meal.

1900 for dinner is another one of our favorite to be sure to see Cinderella as we don't like CRT. the step sisters are hilarious and the step mom is so strict LOL The food was good and hot but it's a buffet. Of course it's all you can eat and the dessert are good and you can also get soft serving ice cream.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

Everyone is going to tell you that the food is good at 1900 Park Fair as well as the character interaction. I found it kind of stilted and very chaotic, and the food was very bland, tasteless and unappetizing. I also thought the area around the buffet was dirty, the ice cream machine was all gunked up and barely functioning. We have been twice, and I will thankfully say I never need to go there again. The only thing I enjoyed on the buffet was the strawberry soup and the caesar salad, literally nothing else was appetizing.

Now here I'll probably be against the grain for what the consensus is, but I love the cold/salad bar at Akershuus. The food is ok as well, at least better than Park Fair (which I realize isn't saying much!) The princesses were very perky and friendly and I overall like the atmosphere a lot better.

Our family
Dorisk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the opinions! My daughter seemed excited when I told her Prince Charming was at 1900 Park Fare. So I think we will try it this time.
Plus I think the step sisters will make it fun!

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
kamikazecat
DIS Veteran

I don't think you will be disappointed with 1900Park Faire for dinner. We found the food to be acceptable but we are use to high quality buffets since we live in Nevada.

The character interaction was amazing. Probably one of the top I have seen at Disney. The step sisters are hilarious and my son (who was 3 at the time) got selected to dance with Cinderella. It was love at first sight.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

You can't go wrong with either. We love both! Akershus is a bit more hectic as a pp mentioned. You do, however, get to see a lot of princesses (they've always been a bit rushed w/ us though). You do get free photos w/ a princess which is a nice perk. The food there is great. For dinner there is a cold buffet of assorted salads, meats (salmon, etc.), cheeses, fruit, etc. It's great!!! For the meal you order from a variety of choices; ours has always been great. Don't fear that you'll have weird food. At 1900 PF it's a buffet, but the food was WONDERFUL when we went this past June. Loved it! The characters for dinner (Mary Poppins, Alice, Mad Hatter for breakfast) are Cinderella, Prince, stepsisters and stepmother. By far the best character interaction and character meal we've ever been to. Definitely a must do for now for us. Either way you go, you'll enjoy it.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

We did not care for Akerhus at all. It was crazy and the food is....different. The characters are great though. 1900 is one of our fav's. The stepsisters are entertaining, and it's a buffet- so there is many choices, including a seperate kids buffet.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

I agree with others. The stepsisters and Lady Tremaine really make the meal. They are hilarious. We found the food to be decent. Everyone found something to eat and didn't go hungry. The character interaction is really what made the meal and it was cute watching Cinderella and Prince Charming dance.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

Oh my daughter would love watching them dance! She claps when any prince and princess kiss on movies.

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
charming
Mouseketeer

I took my DD to 1900 in March 2010 and we had a great time. The Stepsisters were not there but Cindy and Prince Charming took her to dance with them and the Stepmother was very cool. I thought the food was good and there was a lot of choices for us and i LOVE a dessert buffets. In Aug, we went back to start planing my DN's wedding at WDWanyways we went during free dining so we went to the Princess Dinner at Norway. 1st we had our picture with Belle that came with our meal. Then we orderd 4 pork chop dinners, I was the only one that didnt like it. I thought it was awful. I would never do the dinner again. But with that said the Princess are great and you see a lot of them but it seemed more rushed even with tables with kids at them. Again it was free dining. We will be back in late Feb, 2012 for my DN's wedding and i will take my DD to the Princess BKFT. In the end its the face time im paying for but i still need to eat something!!
charming is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: