Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
ls15
Mouseketeer

A celiac vegan w/ her wheelchaired (MS) gluten-, dairy-, soy-, egg-free omnivore mom

Hey folks! Currently in Disney and having an awesome time. When I return (or have time during the trip), I'll update you on how it is going!

For those who want to follow, I'll update on how we are eating with all our allergies/intolerances and how we are doing with the wheelchair and our observations.

I have celiac disease, a dairy allergy, and am also a vegan. My mom cannot have gluten, dairy, eggs, or soy. She does eat meat. She is also in a wheelchair because she has MS.

The short version: incredible!

Stay tuned, will update soon.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls15 View Post
Hey folks! Currently in Disney and having an awesome time. When I return (or have time during the trip), I'll update you on how it is going!

For those who want to follow, I'll update on how we are eating with all our allergies/intolerances and how we are doing with the wheelchair and our observations.

I have celiac disease, a dairy allergy, and am also a vegan. My mom cannot have gluten, dairy, eggs, or soy. She does eat meat. She is also in a wheelchair because she has MS.

The short version: incredible!

Stay tuned, will update soon.
Looking forward to your report when you return. Hope you are having a good time. Thanks in advance!
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Looking forward to reading about your experience! Sounds like it's going very well for you and your mom.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
ls15
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay! It has been back to the grind and been very, very busy.

I do have pictures and will try to figure out how to upload them. Please, by all means, ask any questions you might have as I might forget some details and you'll job my memory! I will post it in parts so single posts aren't too long.

To give a little more detail, I have celiac disease and a dairy allergy. I am also a vegan. My mom cannot have gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, and limits her legumes. She does eat meat, though.

I have read a lot about the chefs not getting the info for allergies on ADR. I did my ADR 180 days in advance with a travel agent and called twice to double check they went through. It was noted on every reservation and every chef knew... But it got better (see post on Jiko!)

Day One

We had an early arrival at Disney--our plane landed at 9:30 so we got there around 11am. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and they were extremely accomodating for the wheelchair and my mom's MS. I told her my mom has MS and she found us a ground floor room close to a bus stop immediately so my mom could sleep. It was super nice of her!

We went to the room but our luggage didn't come for a few hours (we knew this from the Magical Express folks). My mom was hungry so I went to the quick service to get her something. I asked what we do for allergies and the chef came out. He was awesome! I didn't catch his name and didn't see him again but he was very nice.

At Riverside, the options for all our requirements were either pasta or salad. There were more pre-made gluten/dairy-free things but they all had eggs (Kinnickkinnick and French Meadow). The salad was good, though, and included loads of veggies, nuts, seeds, meat, et cetera, so it wasn't skimpy.

Drink-wise, there is lots of water, pop, juice, the regular stuff, but I was pleased to see Silk milk (I am not soy-free). Plus they had it in Very Vanilla, which is not available in Canada...a plus.

That night we had a dinner reservation for Jiko, so we went a little early and went in the shop and explored a little at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Next post, Jiko.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
ls15
Mouseketeer

Day One, continued

Dinner at Jiko

So, Jiko was definitely a great way to start off the trip! I was pretty nervous for the first meal because I never eat out around here... Just once in a grand while and it's always frightening!

The chef came out and was great... There is a vegan menu at Jiko, which looked pretty gluten-free (and it was!). We were on the Dining Plan but we wanted to try anything and everything so we opted for an appetizer.

The chef's name was David and mid-way through our meal he came out and asked me for a list of everywhere we were eating and what days. He suggested that he was going to contact all of the other chefs via telephone and email to let them know we were coming (because we had so many food challenges). Super amazing of him!

Okay, so back to the food!

We started with the Taste of Africa, which came with lavosh and pappadum. Obviously we couldn't have the lavosh so we got loads of pappadum and Ener-G rolls. I never eat pre-made GF things but he had heated them well and they were good. Not great, but good!

The dips that came with it were a roasted curry, spinach/lentil, olive hummus, and chemolata. All excellent.

My dish was Roasted Winter Vegetables with Coconut Basmati and Durban Curry Sauce. It had cauliflower, tomatoes, sultanas, peas and onions. What it DID lack was protein, unfortunately... no tofu, legumes, nuts... But that was okay because it tasted great!

My mom had an Oak Grilled Filet Mignon with Roasted Fingerlings and Red Wine Reduction. She said it was amazing, and they cooked it to perfection.

There wasn't any choice for dessert except for sorbet, but he topped it with mixed fruit and ginger so it made for a better choice! We shared it because we were stuffed... and please note, my mom and I are huge eaters!

Jiko = amazing! Definitely worth two dining plan credits.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
ls15
Mouseketeer

Day Two

After a much needed, excellent sleep, we were ready for Day Two. I was doing the Disney Princess Half Marathon on the Sunday so I had to go to the Expo at ESPN Wide World of Sports to pick up my race package. We wanted to head to Downtown Disney afterward to grab something to eat.

We brought some snacks and breakfast foods that were easy to transport for days like today when we just wanted to get going. Enjoy Life trailmix, my mom's cereal (Nutty Flax), some nondairy milk (we weren't sure what they'd have), fruit, et cetera.

We got to Downtown Disney and opted for a quick service... But found no one could help up. Gluten-free was easy, they said, but gluten-free + vegan... Not so much. They didn't have much for my mom either, with her other foods she couldn't have. We decided we didn't care too much about the whole "quick service" thing and just bought our lunch. We were at Cookes of Dublin (who couldn't do it), but he said there was "a great chef at Raglan Road who could do something"... Cookes is the quick service of Raglan. So we went there.

Oh, my gosh... I'm so glad we did.

Lunch at Raglan Road

Chef Lenning came out to talk to us and gave us some ideas. My mom had the Cashel Castle, a salad with grilled chicken, proscittuo crisps, fresh raspberries, grape tomatoes, carmelized pecans, and raspberry vinaigrette (which he had to make differently because the original had soy oil).

I asked him what he recommended and he loved the idea of the Heritage Tomato Salad, with heriloom tomatoes, rocket, shallots, lemon oil, and pecans (which he added on my request for some healthy fats and protein). Then I said to him, "any chance those onion rings are gluten-free?" He laughed a little then said, "I can make them that way. Do you want them?"

Side note: I don't really eat a lot of junk and cook/bake everything myself. Since diagnosis of celiac five years ago one thing I miss is onion rings... I had told my mom before we left that there were two treats I really, really wanted on this trip: onion rings and a milk shake.

We, Chef Lenning did the onion rings! They were a rice batter (you could totally tell), but they were so good. I'll try to post a picture!

Excellent meal, HIGHLY recommend... Not sure how the other chefs would be but he was amazing!

Next stop: dinner.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Great review so far. Thanks for the info!!
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Can't wait to read your reviews!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Minnie
DIS Veteran

I am gluten free with several other allergies / intolerances as well so I'm really looking forward to your reviews as eating out is tough!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
ls15
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Sorry for the long delay, I have been busy and I'll update more often!

Dinner at Boatwright's

I didn't particularly want to eat at Boatwright's, but we chose it because I was doing the Disney Princess Half-Marathon the next day, and since I had to get up at about 2am, I figured being close to home was a good idea (we stayed at Riverside, where Boatwright's is).

We had the nastiest, worst waitress I have ever encountered in my life! She was such a snobby lady. When I told her that we needed to talk to the chef, she seemed like it was such as a hassle (for her). She asked if we wanted drinks and I asked her for water. "But what about drinks?" She asked. Um... Water is a drink! I later asked for a virgin cocktail (it was a Tropical Ginger Lemonade- very tasty!), and when she brought it over, I had forgotten if I had said "virgin". I asked her and she said, "yes, I understand, no alcohol, I did it how you asked." And so on, and so forth. She was just really unpleasant!

The chef was really nice, although you could tell he was a little stressed! My mom ordered a Prime Rib that came with some yukon gold potatoes and carrots. She said it was good. Not anything outstanding.

There were two choices for me on the menu; a pasta dish that he could make with brown rice pasta and jambalaya. I'm not generally a fan of jambalaya, but am always open to anything. I figured that maybe I had just never had it prepared properly, and he said it was his "specialty" and he "loves making it for vegetarians and vegans", so I went with that. I like when chefs have the opportunity to make something they like to make.

I asked him if he could throw some beans in there for protein but they didn't have any, unfortunately. Day two and still no real sources of protein! I was glad I packed a few things in our room.

The jambalaya was good but my suspicions are correct - I didn't love it. But it was a huge lot of food and I'm a huge eater, so I ended up taking it back to the room. On a side note, I ate it a few days later and it was much tastier.

This was a bit of a bust and we agreed we wouldn't choose this again. We paid for this meal instead of using the DDP because they had no dessert options and our meals weren't expensive. It's also the only place we left a very little tip.

One thing my mom and I discussed a lot was that we never really wanted to tip the servers, but instead, the chefs. Next time we would figure out a way. The servers, sometimes, didn't even bring out drinks, the chef did. And they very seldom brought our food.

Next, day three... Race day!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
ls15
Mouseketeer

Day Three

So this was race day! I woke up nice and early (about 1:30am) to get ready for the race. Our buses left starting at 3am and I wanted to aim for about that time. I wanted to factor in time in case I was sick from any of the meals (being a celiac, thinking ahead), and have some time to get ready and relax, and not have to rush.

The race was awesome, by the way! My mom stayed in the room even though buses could bring them to the finish line, but she couldn't come due to wheelchair

Breakfast: Quick Service at the Resort

After the race, we decided to go see what we could have for quick service at our resort. The chef I talked to on Day One was great, but he wasn't there. It took forever but we eventually got some Mickey waffles with (mushy) strawberries and pancake syrup. We don't eat pancake syrup (love the real stuff), so our waffles were okay. They were a little gummy but nothing terrible. They were made on a dedicated gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free waffle iron, and he said the other ingredients included rice milk (Pacific brand), and applesauce. They have chocolate Silk milk in cartons so I got that, and my mom had coffee and a grapefruit juice.

They were good but not awesome.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
ls15
Mouseketeer

I didn't make any reservations for today because I had no idea how I would feel and what we'd want to do after the race.

We went to Downtown Disney because I figured a race deserved Babycakes.

Snack at Babycakes

I was excited to go to Babycakes because I always bake for myself, and it's nice to get something out of the house! I'm not trying to sound like a braggart, but I am a very good baker (in fact, I have a gluten-free, vegan baking book coming out in the next month or two).

Babycakes had a wide variety of choices: cookies, doughnuts, loaves, cupcakes, brownies.

We figured we'd be back a few times so we opted for splitting two doughnuts - the Chocolate Crunch and Cinnamon Sugar. The Chocolate Crunch was a vanilla doughnut with chocolate icing and crumbled chocolate chip cookies on it. The cinnamon sugar was rolled in cinnamon and sugar.

Both were very good, but we had to agree, these aren't doughnuts. Mostly because they were baked. They aren't really cake-like doughnuts either (in spite of the lack of yeast). They tasted like muffins in the form of doughnuts. They were very tasty, they weren't dry, and they didn't crumble. I wouldn't get one again, but they were really good. There were better things there, we soon learned, and I will write about when we get there.

For allergies, do note that they have legumes, but because my mom limits them, she did have a few things here and there.

Very tasty, I would recommend them, but there are better things... And don't go in expecting a doughnut, but a sweet, sugary muffin
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
ls15
Mouseketeer

We did some shopping at Downtown Disney and there is a great store called Mickey's Pantry. They have loads of herbs, spices, teas, grinders, flavoured rice, flavoured sugar, et cetera. It was awesome!

We decided to head out to Epcot after that and tour the countries. I assumed I'd have some good choices there, and we would go from there.

We went toward the countries and walked through Canada, but it was getting a little late and we were getting hungry. I was also a little zonked from waking up so early, and running.

We decided to do another table service and just pay for it, and I was craving Mexican food! We also though it would be a pretty safe bet for eating, and figured if they couldn't we had lots of places there to choose from.

Dinner: La Hacienda de San Angel

We walked up and, lucky for us, they had an opening right then. It is definitely easy finding last minute reservations when you are just a party of two.

They server here was amazing. So nice and gracious, and they were wonderfully accommodating with my mom. At first we were nervous because they wanted to put her wheelchair with the other chairs and strollers, but soon realized this was a practice employed around the park, and we felt pretty safe (after snagging our valuables from it!)

There was a lot to choose from on the menu.

They give complimentary tortilla chips and salsa but the chips were not soy-free. Because of this, I opted not to eat them either. I'm not a huge fan of fried food so I didn't really care, as long as I could get enough food elsewhere! I didn't want to eat them and my mom not be able to.

My dish ended up being (amazingly delicious) homemade corn tortillas with grilled veggies (cactus, bell peppers, zucchini), and sauteed green beans. Again, no protein. Becoming increasing deficient! (haha, just kidding). He gave me the green beans to round out the dish, he said.

My mom had Tacos de Camarones (fried shrimp with chipotle-lime aioli, cabbage, lime and salsa verde with corn tortillas and rice). Everything came with refried beans and rice but both had chicken stock in it, unfortunately.

We LOVED our meals - they were amazing. Plus, I asked the server for additional corn tortillas because there were so many veggies. He was happy to oblige and said that because I didn't eat the tortilla chips, I could have as many as I wanted. I think I had about 12--no lie! They were just that delicious.

He said he couldn't believe we polished it off, if it gives you an idea on how much food we had. We heard this a few times over the course of the trip - perhaps we don't look like big eaters? Ha! But alas, we are, and we were fed so well.

Next stop, day four at Magic Kingdom... but first a post-race day celebration Brunch.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
ls15
Mouseketeer

Before I go on, does anyone have any questions or anything? I am trying to provide a lot of details but I want to be sure I can answer anything for everyone!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Just DYING to hear more about Babycakes!!! Do they have the vegan/gluten free items listed or are they saying they are ALL vegan/gluten free? I'm concerned b/c I had emailed them when I found out they opened, their store in NY is ALL vegan/gluten free, and the response I got sounded like only some of the DTD stuff was vegan/gluten free??

Maybe I confused her b/c I was asking about sugar free as well. I'm very excited to visit there b/c I haven't had a muffin/cupcake in I don't know how long!

Tags
allergies, celiac disease, multiple sclerosis, vegan, wheelchair

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: