Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Part 1

Once again, we were awake before the wake-up call! With 7 1/2 hours of sleep, we were awake at 5:30am. This is about the time that I usually wake up for work but still...I was expecting to at least sleep until the alarm! I laid in bed until 6:15 then got up to shower. We were at the food court at 7:15 for breakfast. I didn't make it down yesterday for breakfast but DM said that it was much more crowded yesterday at 7:30.

We paid for breakfast OOP. We bought three 1/2 pint skim milks ($1.49 each), OJ ($2.39), a banana ($1.29), a cup of hot water for tea ($2.19 - which was irritating because DM brought her own tea bag and she still had to pay that ridiculous price for water), and for me: french toast w/ cinnamon sugar and sausage ($5.29). The total with tax was $11.02. Does anyone notice something funny here? We didn't until later on in the day when I looked at the receipt again. Our cashier forgot to charge us for the french toast! We didn't realize it until we had already left and I felt kind of bad. I'm usually very honest in situations like that but it was already too late

Here is DM's breakfast including a bag of cereal brought from home: a mixture of Wheat Chex, Go Lean, and Shredded Wheat & Bran. Yuck! I don't like even one of those cereals so I can't imagine them all mixed together.

And my yummy breakfast which happily did not include anything wheat, shredded, or bran!

After breakfast we went back to the room to finish getting ready for the day and to grab our things. I can't emphasize enough how nice it was to be so close to the main building. None of the rooms are THAT far away but it was great to be so so so close. Now I'm wondering if we were in a preferred room but just didn't know it. Wouldn't they have told us if we had been "upgraded"? Regardless, the location was perfect!

After a short wait, we boarded an Animal Kingdom bus at 8:10 and were walking towards the turnstiles at 8:25.

This was the same time that we had arrived at HS yesterday but there weren't nearly as many people lined up ahead of us as there were yesterday. They let us through the turnstiles at around 8:45 and we waited all the way to the left near the bathrooms. We really couldn't see the opening show but that was okay. The ropes dropped and the CM led different groups of people through different routes towards Kilimanjaro Safari and Expedition Everest. We headed toward the safari to grab FP for later. There were plenty of people running and even doing a little bit of pushing We arrived at KS at 8:54 and the FP machines weren't on yet. We had to wait 1 minute, until 8:55 before we could get our FP. I didn't write down the return time but I'm pretty sure it was for 9:30.

Next we walked from Africa to Asia and the walkways were nearly empty. While I was excited to ride EE, it was so nice to enjoy a leisurely stroll and take in the scenery before the park filled up.

While walking we heard some pretty crazy bird calls but there were no birds to be seen. We stopped to talk to a CM and she told us that the birds were actually on the other side of the park and they do this every morning. They were SO loud, it was actually pretty funny.

Then, we had arrived:

The standby wait was posted as 10 minutes but it was definitely less. DM walked through the queue with me with zero intentions of riding. Since the line was moving so fast we didn't get to spend much time looking at all the artifacts but DM appreciated how detailed the theming was. At the front of the line, she exited and I sat in the second to last row with a stranger. The very first time I rode EE I was placed in the very first row (without requesting it) and the view at the top of the tracks right before going backwards was a-maz-ing! Sitting at the very back was a little disappointing because I knew I was missing out on that spectacular view. But other than that small detail, the ride was fantastic. It was even better than I remembered! The yeti is still amazing (and pretty scary) even though it doesn't move anymore. I wish they could fix it though.

While DM waited for me, she took pictures of each train as it came down the mountain. She had no idea which one I was on but after taking the pictures and zooming in on each one, we found me! I'm in the 2nd to last row on the left (looking at the picture) in the white shirt, sitting right in front of the person in the red shirt.

I left the ride feeling totally exhilarated and wanting to ride again. I figured I could either FP it later or ride the single rider line. Then off we went to FP and ride Dinosaur. It was 9:30 and our FP return time was for 10:10am. After grabbing the FP we rode it. I had warned DM about how realistic the dinosaurs are and how I find the ride to be pretty scary. I screamed my head off at the end of the ride and DM made me feel pretty bad by saying "That was it? That wasn't scary at all!"

I know it's hard to see in the picture but we're in the middle row. I'm not screaming here but I'm clearly trying to get as far away as possible from the hungry dinosaur. DM looks bored. Now, I wasn't quite as scared as the girl in the front row!

Next we went to catch the first showing of the Festival of the Lion King at 10am because I read it's the least crowded. We had no problem there, the show wasn't even close to full when they closed the doors. I had seen it once 5 years ago and it was another first for DM. We both loved it! The music and the acts are great. It's such a fun show!

Continued in the next post...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Part 2

After Festival of the Lion King, we went back to Africa to use our Kilimanjaro Safari FP. I absolutely love the theming in Africa and I'm upset because I really didn't take any pictures of the architecture. I need to make sure that I do that on my next trip. I read that every building in Africa was either imported from the real Africa or is an exact replica of an existing building in the real Africa. WDW Imagineers are amazing!

At KS, we waited about 10 minutes on the FP return line and were off for our two week safari at 10:45 am.

Here is my attempt at an artistic picture. DM kept asking me what I was taking a picture of.

Okapi

Black Rhino

I have usually seen a lot of hippos but on this trip there were only a few under the water so I have no pictures.

The people behind me probably thought I was a pervert, taking a picture of our driver's hairy leg, but I was actually trying to get a picture of the card NEXT to his leg. It came out kind of blurry but at the top it says "10 Stops for 5 Seconds Each" and underneath that it goes into detail about what those stops are. I was really hoping to be able to zoom in and read it at home but it's just too blurry. Oh well, I'm sure it's not meant for us to read anyway

Eland (I think)

Crocodiles

This is when we got to the area where I've usually seen quite a few giraffes and there were none! I was pretty disappointed. Even more disappointing was the amount of traffic we were stuck in! I've never seen so many safari trucks at once. I should have taken a picture but didn't. We were all lined up and crawling along the road. I wouldn't have minded at all if there were animals to see but this area was totally empty! This went on for about 10 minutes before the traffic finally broke up and we were able to move on to a new area with animals!

Thompson's Gazelle

More Thompson's Gazelles. They are so cute!

Ankole Cattle and Wildebeests

And Closer...

Then we finally got to see a giraffe

Elephant

I didn't notice the baby elephant in this picture until after I took it!

White Rhino

The lions were sleeping. Sorry this picture is blurry, it was super zoomed-in

Ostrich with a camouflaged head

I'm not sure what this is.

Before riding, DM had this notion that the safari wasn't anything great. But she was very happily surprised at how much she enjoyed it. After returning from our two-week adventure, we were pretty hungry. We walked from Africa back to Asia again. This was the same exact walk we had taken this morning right after getting the FP for KS. Remember how nice and empty it was at 9 am? It was 11:30 now and a different story. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

While walking we kept an eye out for a place where we could grab lunch. We decided to eat at the Yak & Yeti Quick Service restaurant. But first I grabbed 2 FP for EE for later. The return time was for 1:35 pm. I don't think I looked at the standby wait time but if I did, I didn't make a note of it.

We went back to Yak & Yeti for lunch.

I ordered the Sweet & Sour chicken ($9.99) and DM ordered the Mandarin Chicken Salad ($8.99). We each got a bottle of water ($2.50 each) and a frozen lemonade ($3.49 each). We used 2 Quick Service credits for the meals.

My meal still in the box. It was SO hot! (temperature-wise, not spicy)

The chicken was served with white rice and bell peppers

DM's salad

The frozen lemonade wasn't anything special. DM didn't like it at all and I had a little bit of hers. Since mine was unopened I gave it away to the girls sitting next to us. I think the frozen lemonade at MK is way better.

But we both really loved our lunch. I thought my meal was excellent.

Up next: Something at Animal Kingdom that's new for *both* of us and new sneakers for DM

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
BMC423
DIS Veteran

I had that problem with the alarm too I was always up before it went off...it was unbelievable and very annoying. You had a great weather for your AK day (at least it looks that way in your pics)! Your mom is hilarious... "what are you trying to take a picture of" Is dinosaur really that scary? I have never been we didn't even get to that side of the park...
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Your mom looks like she's totally chilling in the Dinosaur pic! And you know what's funny...I LOVE all those 3 cereals, never thought about mixing them together like that!!

I love EE! Prob one of the best rides! I've never rode in the front, but will prob request it next time!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #35
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
I had that problem with the alarm too I was always up before it went off...it was unbelievable and very annoying. You had a great weather for your AK day (at least it looks that way in your pics)! Your mom is hilarious... "what are you trying to take a picture of" Is dinosaur really that scary? I have never been we didn't even get to that side of the park...
We had amazing weather every day. It was unbelievable. Sunny and mid 80s every day we were there. Oh how I miss it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Your mom looks like she's totally chilling in the Dinosaur pic! And you know what's funny...I LOVE all those 3 cereals, never thought about mixing them together like that!!

I love EE! Prob one of the best rides! I've never rode in the front, but will prob request it next time!
Hahaha you described it perfectly. She is totally just chillin.

If you decide to mix them together...well good luck with that. I still stand by my "yuck"!

And you should definitely request the front row. When you're stopped at the top of the broken tracks for those good few seconds, the view is incredible!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Haven't heard from you in a while! Hope everythings okay and you return soon to update!!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #37
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Haven't heard from you in a while! Hope everythings okay and you return soon to update!!
I'm here and everything's fine I've just been really busy and haven't had time to update. I'm home sick from work today so I'm catching up on reading TRs but not really feeling up to doing an update myself. Hopefully this weekend!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #38
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Real Life Update

I was hoping to write an update this weekend but unfortunately my aunt became ill on Friday. She had emergency surgery yesterday which was successful but she is not yet stable and has a long road of recovery ahead of her. I have been babysitting my cousin's 3 month old daughter so that my cousin could be at the hospital with her mom.

I promise I have not given up on this TR and will continue it as soon as I can.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #39
m2zjj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathsf View Post

I was hoping to write an update this weekend but unfortunately my aunt became ill on Friday. She had emergency surgery yesterday which was successful but she is not yet stable and has a long road of recovery ahead of her. I have been babysitting my cousin's 3 month old daughter so that my cousin could be at the hospital with her mom.

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. That's great that you can baby sit so your cousin can be with her.

As much as I want to hear more about your trip I understand that you have much more important things to deal with right now. I promise I'll be here reading along when you get back.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #40
jdd
DIS Veteran

Great report! Trying to figure out when we can go in 2012, so it's good to know that this is a crazy crowded week!

Hope all is well with your aunt.
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR, Feb2015-CBR
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #41
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathsf View Post

Oh no! Praying for a speedy recovery for your aunt and patience for you as well!

And no worries about your TR! We'll all still be here when you return!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #42
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Sorry about your aunt, wishing her a speedy recovery and you a restful weekend babies are tons of work
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #43
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
Is dinosaur really that scary? I have never been we didn't even get to that side of the park...
I just realized I never answered your question! I would say for kids (and me) it is pretty scary, if not terrifying. The dinosaurs looks VERY real, they're very loud, and the ride is very very very dark. At one point you can't see anything. My mom screams and jumps when she watches scary/suspenseful movies so I was really expecting her to find Dinosaur scary but I was wrong. I do love the ride though.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #44
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Day 3 Part 3

After eating our yummy lunch, we decided to walk through the Maharajah Jungle Trek. I had done this once before 5 or 6 years before. This, just like everything else at AK, was new for DM.

Komodo Dragon

Bats

Tigers

Deer

Next we decided to catch the 1:00 show of Finding Nemo the Musical - something new for me!! On our way we saw the monkeys playing...

and had a photopass photographer take our picture. He was very funny and we had a good time with him. Other people were standing around watching him take our picture because he was so entertaining.

When we got there at 12:45 they were just letting people in and it was CROWDED! We got on the back of the line which was moving quickly at this point and were sitting down in just a few minutes. Before the show started every seat was filled. We saw families split up because there weren't enough seats for them to sit together.

We both thought the musical was very cute. It's funny how you stop noticing the people holding the puppets after a while. And they are so talented, being able to act and sing AND maneuver a huge puppet at the same time! I enjoyed it, but if I had to choose between this show and Festival of the Lion King, I would choose Lion King. It was a lot more fun and upbeat. But both were great.

After the show we walked back to EE so I could use one of our FP. I entered the FP Return Queue at 1:45 and was getting onto the train in 2 minutes! Again I was disappointed to be sitting in the very back of the train. Oh well. The ride was still great but I decided not to use the last FP to ride again. After riding for the first time that day earlier in the morning, I thought for sure that I would want to ride 2 more times but I changed my mind so we could leave the park a little earlier. Plus it's just not as fun sitting next to a stranger

After my ride on EE we walked over to Dinosaur to use our FP. It was now 2pm. I took this picture in the loading area of the ride:

I read about this before going on the trip. Does anyone know/want to guess what those chemical equations represent?

Here is our ride photo. This time DM knew when to cover her ears.

I don't think the kid in the back row was enjoying himself very much

We headed out of the park at 2:35 pm to change into pants, pick up DM's new sneakers which should have arrived, and then head to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner at Boma. As we were walking towards the exit I realized that we hadn't done It's Tough to be a Bug! DM said she wasn't interested and would rather leave now. Since I'd done it before I was okay with that.

Her favorite thing at AK was KS followed by Dinosaur. Mine was EE of course. Our longest wait today was 10 minutes to use the FP at KS and to ride EE in the morning.

Up Next: Does DM finally get to wear comfortable sneakers? And dinner at Boma...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #45
kathleen27
DIS Veteran

We were there presidentís week too (third time), and I couldnít believe how crowded it was! Sounds like you did plenty anyway! I could not get my teens out early & gave up trying by the end of the week.

You must have been so disappointed to have your original trip snowed out.

Love all your photos! Glad your Mom enjoyed some new rides!

Tappan Edo looks really good Ė Iíd love to try it some day!

My phone doesnít have apps, but I have an iTouch, and I am addicted to the Disney waits apps. I checked the lines on the airport wifi while waiting for the bus to pull out. We need a smartphone next trip that works with the actual Disney app so we can check fastpass times!

Hope your Mom gets her new shoes.

Feb 2014 Feb 2013 Feb 2012 Feb 2011 September 2008 Feb 2008 Feb 2006 March 2003

Tags
february, presidents day, presidents week

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: