Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
lnk1229
Romance at Disney...

All caught up so far...

during our trip we had scaffolding on the ToT too... It completely ruined the outside look and I couldn't quite bear to capture a picture.. no way I wanted to remember it that way! I love the ToT but the DBF does not so we skipped it this trip... It sounds like we both need ToT riding buddies!! (an excuse to go back?! I think so!!)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
NMW
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

That picture of your mom in Norway is HILARIOUS!!! I DEFINITELY wouldn't tell her that you posted that!!

Wow! I'm sooo glad your mom liked Soarin' AND Test Track!!!

Sooo, i'm thinking i'm a little slow, but what was wrong with that picture!!???

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnk1229 View Post
All caught up so far...

during our trip we had scaffolding on the ToT too... It completely ruined the outside look and I couldn't quite bear to capture a picture.. no way I wanted to remember it that way! I love the ToT but the DBF does not so we skipped it this trip... It sounds like we both need ToT riding buddies!! (an excuse to go back?! I think so!!)
Definitely! I was lonely when everyone else in the elevator was gushing to the person next to them about how awesome it was Thankfully my BF will definitely be going on it with me in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
Subscribing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
That picture of your mom in Norway is HILARIOUS!!! I DEFINITELY wouldn't tell her that you posted that!!

Wow! I'm sooo glad your mom liked Soarin' AND Test Track!!!

Sooo, i'm thinking i'm a little slow, but what was wrong with that picture!!???
"Charlton" is misspelled.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathsf View Post

"Charlton" is misspelled.
Wow!! I must have been reading the "L" and the "T" together, because I COMPLETELY missed that!! That's so funny! Did you know about this before going or did you just happen upon it??

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #21
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow!! I must have been reading the "L" and the "T" together, because I COMPLETELY missed that!! That's so funny! Did you know about this before going or did you just happen upon it??
I read about it
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #22
ChattaAlley
DIS Veteran

Love your TR so far. I would love to take a Disney trip with just my mom.

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .

Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattaAlley View Post
Love your TR so far. I would love to take a Disney trip with just my mom.
Thank you!

It was the first time we'd ever gone anywhere just the two of us and we had such a nice time.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Part 3

At 4:30 we headed over to Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, not completely sure whether or not we had an ADR.

We gave our name and they didn't have any trouble finding our reservation at all. I still don't know why or how my email confirmation had the wrong date and time. Either way, the restaurant was pretty empty so I don't think we would've had a problem being seated either way.

Our buzzer buzzed after only a few minutes but DM had gone to the bathroom so I had to wait for her to come back before we were seated. In the meantime I took this picture:

and also some pictures of the menu:

We were seated towards the back of the restaurant. All of the tables around us were empty. The design of the restaurant and the ambiance did remind me of Italian restaurants at home except that Mama Melrose's is much bigger. And it did fill up before we left at the end of our meal.

After we ordered they brought us fresh bread and olive oil. It was yummy.

DM ordered a garden salad which wasn't officially on the menu but our server (and I suppose the chefs as well) were very accommodating. $5.99
DM enjoyed her salad and loved the bread. She ate more than a basket's worth on her own. I only had one little piece DM also ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio. $9

For dinner, I ordered the Penne alla Vodka:
with pancetta and sweet onion finished with tomato-basil sauce, cream, vodka, and pecorino romano. I requested it without pancetta though. $16.99

DM ordered the Chicken Pipette:
wood grilled chicken over pipette pasta tossed with artichokes, peas, roasted peppers, and sweet onions in a basil four-cheese cream sauce. $17.99
DM's substitutions were more significant than mine. She hates any and all cream sauces so she requested tomato sauce instead. And also no artichokes.

So how did we like our food? I was honestly disappointed. My pasta looked sooooo good and it just didn't meet that expectation. It wasn't bad by any means but I was really really really expecting it to be better than it was. I've had much better penne alla vodka at restaurants at home. It was very filling and I was only able to eat about half of it.

DM really liked her pasta and was very happy with her sauce substitution. But what she really loved was her dessert, vanilla gelato. $4.49

My dessert was, unfortunately, also disappointing. I had the Chocolate Cannoli Cake:
chocolate cake filled with cannoli filling and nutella served with a chianti red wine sauce and garnished with a hazelnut florentine. $5.99

I know it looks great and my mouth was watering when our server put it down in front of me and I wish I had better things to say about it. I thought the cake was dry and the "cannoli filling" did not taste like a cannoli filling in my opinion. The wafer thing sticking out of it was yummy though!

I drank coke and DM ordered a seltzer in addition to her wine. They were $2.69 each. We used one dining credit for this meal and paid the difference for the salad and wine that wasn't included. The total with tax and without tip was $69.94

Even though I didn't love my food, we still had an overall good experience here. Again, the food wasn't BAD, it just wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Perhaps last night's dinner at Teppan Edo set the bar too high because that was one crazy good meal. DM really liked her food and had no complaints whatsoever. Our server was great and very friendly. The quality of the food was good but the tastes just weren't to my liking. So basically, I think the problem is me and not the restaurant.

With that said, I'm in no hurry to eat here again. There are just too many places I haven't been to yet. Next time I'm in the World and want some Italian, I'd like to try Tutto Italia or Via Napoli. Or both.

Last edited by heathsf; 03-08-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Part 4

We left the restaurant at 6pm and went next door to Muppet Vision 3D where, happily, we were able to walk right in to the preshow. Even though I've already seen it several times, it still gave me a few good laughs. DM really enjoyed it because she hadn't seen it in 8 years and that's way too long! I'm not sure if this had to do with wearing glasses but at some points during the show I had double vision with the 3D glasses on and I can't remember that ever happening before. It really wasn't a big deal though.

It seems I didn't take any pictures here. That's not like me. Oh well.

Now, I had 2 Tower of Terror FPs to use! But I decided to only use one for two reasons. First of all, I felt bad making DM wait around for me when I knew we would be leaving the park after this. I figured riding twice would take about 30 minutes and she would have just been waiting around for me. Secondly, it just wasn't as fun by myself. If I had a riding partner I would've been riding twice for sure. Or three times. Or four. I didn't think I could ever get enough of this ride but there's just something lacking when I'm riding alone.

Here are some pictures I took as we walked across the park.

As we walked down Sunset Boulevard DM said, "The wait for Tower of Terror is only 13 minutes now!" I told her that couldn't be right because the wait times are always posted in increments of 5 minutes but she insisted that it said 13. I zoomed in with my camera and caught this:

But it was blurry! So I tried again:

Can you tell what's going on here? I took the picture while the numbers were flipping. It stopped here:

DM was right after all! How cool is that!?!? I'm not sure how long the wait time was posted as 13 minutes or how often they do that but I'd never seen it before! Just add this to the long list of things that I love about this ride!

So since I already decided to ride only once, DM used the second FP to walk through the queue with me again. Here's that sign I love so much, this time at night when it's at its best!

It took 30 minutes to ride once with the FP. I really can't figure out where all that time went because it certainly didn't feel like a half hour. From here we left the park to head to Downtown Disney which is not a very straight-forward thing to do. We took a bus to the Hilton and walked from there. There was a nice group of people who helped us find our way because we'd never done this before. The bus driver told us that Disney stopped running buses directly between DTD and the parks because people were parking at DTD to avoid having to pay for parking at the parks. We got on the bus at 7:40 pm.

The bus ride was fairly quick and the walk wasn't too bad. This was DM's first time at DTD. Holy moly was it crowded!!!! I wasn't expecting DTD to be as crazy busy as the parks! We went right into the World of Disney store which was also very very crowded.

We had some fun before we started shopping.

I was looking for some comfortable pajamas and was disappointed in their very small selection and limited sizes. I wonder if they don't restock until the end of the day because most of the clothes I looked at only had XL and XXL left.

DM really wanted a Tigger sweatshirt. She requested one the last two times I went to WDW and I disappointed her both times. The first time I got her a t-shirt with Pooh holding a magnifying glass up to a tiger and saying, "Tigger, is that you?" I absolutely love that shirt. I saw that they still sell it at Animal Kingdom.

On my most recent trip I got her a sweatshirt with Mickey and the gang on the back which she wears all the time so I guess I didn't fail too badly there. But she was DETERMINED to find a Tigger sweatshirt. And she did fail at the World of Disney. After a while we left with no purchases.

DM wanted some water so we went into the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company next door. She bought her water and I tried a free sample of a chocolate with caramel. Yum!

We were super tired after our first full park day and decided to go back to the hotel. We hadn't walked very far when DM noticed the girl walking in front of us was wearing a Tigger sweatshirt! I ran up to her to ask if she had bought it in WDW on this trip. She sure did, and guess from where!

Yup, back to the World of Disney we went! She said she found it in the men's section and that's exactly where we found it. The problem was that the smallest size was a medium and it was huge on DM. We asked a cast member but she said these were the only sizes they had left. So we left the store disappointed once again. This time we really did leave DTD. It was just too crowded and we were too tired to walk around any more. We were on a bus at 9 and back at POP at 9:15. We could see some of the higher fireworks from Illuminations while we were on the bus.

We were so exhausted by the end of the night. We spent 11 hours at Hollywood Studios and a total of 13 hours out for the day. I do love Disney but it's definitely not a relaxing vacation. DM told me the next morning that I was asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

Up next: Animal Kingdom for Rope Drop

Last edited by heathsf; 03-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

How disappointing about your meal..I hate when that happens! And your food looked so good too!!

The ToT sign is AWESOME! I've never seen that before so that's neat!

A question about the bus to DTD. So they no longer serve to DTD from the parks only from the resorts? Is this the only way to get to DTD is to board a Hilton bus? That's very strange and hope it's not too confusing for when we go..

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
BMC423
DIS Veteran

I'm baaaack! Sorry about your food I hate when that happens and it happened a few times during this trip =/. I LOVE that Pooh shirt too its very cute. I saw your post on my PTR we had a good time it was a completely different experience since it was the first time we went with a child...exhausting! Anyway I'm planning to start my TR later on today.
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
chica622
Mouseketeer

Great TR! Subscribing!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #29
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A question about the bus to DTD. So they no longer serve to DTD from the parks only from the resorts? Is this the only way to get to DTD is to board a Hilton bus? That's very strange and hope it's not too confusing for when we go..
You can still take a DTD bus from any of the resorts. It's only tricky when you want to go directly from a park to DTD (or vice versa I guess). There really weren't any signs clearly marking this so we found out from other people who were going to DTD. We had to wait by the "chartered buses" area.

Maybe it would be easier to take a Disney bus to the nearest resort and catch a DTD bus from there? That would save you from having to walk from the DTD hotel to DTD itself. I think I may have just made that even more confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
I'm baaaack! Sorry about your food I hate when that happens and it happened a few times during this trip =/. I LOVE that Pooh shirt too its very cute. I saw your post on my PTR we had a good time it was a completely different experience since it was the first time we went with a child...exhausting! Anyway I'm planning to start my TR later on today.
WOW! That was so fast! I hope you had an amazing time. Can't wait to read your TR and hear all about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica622 View Post
Great TR! Subscribing!
Thank you and welcome! Glad to have you here!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #30
m2zjj
Mouseketeer

I'm trying to get caught up. After being out of town for the weekend and then having no internet when I got back I'm way out of the loop around here.

Love the last couple posts and can't wait to read more.

Tags
february, presidents day, presidents week

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: