Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #46
HaveBLT_WillTravel
Earning My Ears

Thanks Everyone…

It's nice to feel welcome.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #47
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBLT_WillTravel View Post
It's nice to feel welcome.
Hey like I said we're nice bunch of Guys, Gals, and those who are still undecided.

Anything I can do to help, just fire me a PM.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Please forgive me.. but I have a trans question.
I'm a straight woman who frequents a store where two trans mtf's work. They are lovely and very very knowledgeable.

However, today.. I messed up and said "he" instead of she in referring to one. I didn't know what to say "sorry", or ignore it. I was so embarassed for myself. I just sort of stammered over it.

I know now is to identify with the pronoun that they identify with.. which I totally didn't know until today and got home and researched it. Now this is just some Google research.. is this correct? Should I be saying she?

I just realized I messed up and don't know what to say or how to fix it.

Please help a person that needs to know a little bit more so I don't look like a fool anymore.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #49
Wallylicious
Earning My Ears

You use the pronoun that the person most identifies with, hence "she" for woman, and "he" for man.

If you've made a mistake, no problem. Apology works a charm. Simply apologize, and move on.

Take care and thank you for caring enough to ask about this.
Wallylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #50
HaveBLT_WillTravel
Earning My Ears

Listen to Wallylicious

Yes, a simple and sincere apology is all you need, then move on. Most transgendered individuals expect people to make the occasional mistake, just don't dwell on it as that is even more embarrassing and might create a scene.

I am about to begin my own transition from male to female life in the near future and I want to say "Thanks" for caring enough to learn a little more about us. We don't want to look foolish any more than you do.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #51
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Thank you for answering my question! I appreciate you answering it kindly.

I love this store and I just didn't want to do the wrong thing next time. Now I know what to say or do.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #52
KyleJake
Simba 1 Driver

I am FTM. i also used to work for Disney.

I have been lurking for sometime and saw this so i had to make an account and say hi!
KyleJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #53
HaveBLT_WillTravel
Earning My Ears

Hi Kyle, I'm a former lurker also and I'm glad I stepped up. Welcome to the DIS!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #54
hockeymomNS
Has an in with immigration
There will be no discussion of the mud!

Oh thank you, thank you.

My 17 yr. old niece came out this week that she has always felt like a boy. We have always been very close, so I was one of the first people that her mother called. I have absolutely NO issue with this and reassured her/him that it is the heart inside the body that I love. I did remind her that I am human, for 17 years she has been a she and my niece. If I screw up, it is a mistake and do not read anything in to it.

Please help with the lingo, sensitivites advice - anything.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #55
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymomNS View Post
Oh thank you, thank you.

My 17 yr. old niece came out this week that she has always felt like a boy. We have always been very close, so I was one of the first people that her mother called. I have absolutely NO issue with this and reassured her/him that it is the heart inside the body that I love. I did remind her that I am human, for 17 years she has been a she and my niece. If I screw up, it is a mistake and do not read anything in to it.

Please help with the lingo, sensitivites advice - anything.
You seem to have expressed yourself very well, and thoughtfully here. You'll do just fine with your nephew.

The courteous thing to do with any T person is to address them with the pronouns appropriate to the gender they present as. But don't worry if you stumble a few times, its to be expected and shouldn't cause a huge fluster. Just correct yourself and move on.

Your Nephew is lucky to have somebody like you around.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #56
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

Can I just say, I'm lovin' all the people from NS on this thread? I also think it's awesome that this thread exists

While I'm not trans, I know people who are, one of whom has been a good friend of mine since high school.

I hope everyone has been doing well
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: