Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
devine5829
Mouseketeer

Creative way to tell the kids?????

We were going to wait but they are "catching on". Anyone have any creative ways you told the kids?
devine5829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are long threads from people who have done scavenger hunts, pirate or cruise parties or cakes, funny poems, etc.

If you look for the "pay it forward" thread, you can have someone who has recently sailed send one of the DCL post cards to your children with a note from Mickey.....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but mine are 13, 15, and 16, and we did an Amazing Race type game. 1) I gave them an envelope that instructed them to go next door where they had to play a song on Guitar Hero and get a good score before receiving their next clue. 2) The next clue said that they had to go to another neighbor's house and eat all of what they were given (just pb & j - I've used baby food before!) to receive their next clue. 3) The next clue said that they had to go to a third neighbor's house and each shoot the basketball and make the marked baskets to receive the next clue. 4) The last clue said that they had to come home and search their bedrooms for three green envelopes. Each envelope contained letters that they had to unscramble to get the name of what we were doing for our summer vacation. I had a posterboard with the spaces marked off (like in hangman) so it made it a little easier to put the letters in order.

It was all very simple, but they thought it was fun. And of course they were VERY excited when they saw the result!!! My neighbor was sweet and took pictures at her house and I took some, so I've already got a start on my scrapbook page!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We made a video for ours, did a treasure hunt and then the final 'clue' was a DVD which said 'Play Me'. They put it in the DVD player and this is what they saw...

wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

My "kids" (ages 20, 18 ,16) love Disney cruises. They have been on more than their share. They thought we were going to announce at Easter another cruise...well, we didn't. But we are going on a short cruise in Aug. We have a very small window of time that they will be home and so we are just going to get them up, tell them to pack a bag for a few days and drive to the port. I'm sure they will figure it out pretty fast once we are on the road to Florida.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
My "kids" (ages 20, 18 ,16) love Disney cruises. They have been on more than their share. They thought we were going to announce at Easter another cruise...well, we didn't. But we are going on a short cruise in Aug. We have a very small window of time that they will be home and so we are just going to get them up, tell them to pack a bag for a few days and drive to the port. I'm sure they will figure it out pretty fast once we are on the road to Florida.
On April Fool's day another diser posted about how she surprised her kids...they thought they were getting ready to go to school but really she had packed their bags and told them that "surprise! you're not going to school, you're going to disney" - I thought this was pretty cool.
Beauty & the Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

It is so fun to surprise them, but it's also so much fun to look forward to the trip! Last year I gave DD15 a surprise birthday party, and he had a great time, but I think he missed getting to help plan it. Both ways are fun and both have their advantages though!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
shancan911
Professional vacationer wannabe

We surprised our DS, 6 at the time. I can't believe we were able to pull it off!! Had everything arranged with his school, pet sitting taken care of. When he went to bed the night before, i told him we would have to wake him up early in the morning, for a BIG surpise. He was so excited, and he didn't even know why. I had bought some plain shirts and puffy fabric paint. I designed two shirts. The first one said, "I'm flying to Florida today", with a big sunshine. So, around 6, we had everything ready to go, car packed, and I got the camera, then woke up DS. He was so sleepy, asked me to carry him out to the living room. I plopped him on the chair, and gave him the shirt, told him to read it. He kept rubbing his eyes, and then just kind of set the shirt down. The first thing DH and I thought of was that he was scared about the plane (first time). But, really he was just tired. Then the energy kicked in and he was running around the house, "what about my clothes? what about school? can I bring my bucket? (lanyard with case to hold KTTW and such)." That's when we realized that in his mind, Florida=WDW. Told him we weren't going there, is that ok? It was. Phew. Met up with friends at the airport, and he didn't think that was wierd. They were just going to Florida with us. He asked when we were going home, and we told him 8 days. LOL, he thought we were gonna stay in the Miami hotel for 8 days...That night, we watched the ships sail out of the port. "Wouldn't it be fun to go on one of those?" The next morning, I had shirt #2 ready. It read, "My first cruise Liberty of the Seas". He started jumping around, it was really cool, we were happy we were able to pull off the surprise.

This upcoming DCL cruise, we told him about. This time around he can help us plan. And we're going with his cousin, so they can be excited together. I think surprising the kids is fun, you know if your kids will like it or not!!! Happy sailing whatever you choose!

WDW Old Key West 9/00 First Trip
WDW Old Key West 6/02 Family trip, DS turned 1
WDW Old Key West 6/07 Family trip, DS turned 6
DCL Magic Western 7 day 10/09
WDW BLT 12/10 First trip "home"

WDW Old Key West - Marathon Weekend 2013, 26.2!!!!

shancan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

I surprised mine with a scavenger hunt, ending with a puzzle they had to put together. The puzzle was a picture of the Magic and the text on it announced our 7 night cruise and dates. So fun!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
devine5829
Mouseketeer

How did you make the puzzle?
devine5829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
scmiller19
Earning My Ears

Wedding Reception Disneyland Announcement

Our children will be ages 5,6, and 7 (two boys and a girl) and their father and I will be getting married and plan to take them on a family honeymoon to Disneyland (their first time, my third) and I am looking for creative ways to announce this to them at the end of the wedding reception. We are going to have everything packed and ready to go. Does anyone have any creative/special ideas for us? Thanks!
scmiller19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmiller19 View Post
Our children will be ages 5,6, and 7 (two boys and a girl) and their father and I will be getting married and plan to take them on a family honeymoon to Disneyland (their first time, my third) and I am looking for creative ways to announce this to them at the end of the wedding reception. We are going to have everything packed and ready to go. Does anyone have any creative/special ideas for us? Thanks!
Pop on some bride and groom Mickey ears?

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
tmoger
Earning My Ears

We are going on the Fantasy in Feb. So, to surprise our daughters, age 10 and 13, I made little messages and stuck them in fortune cookies. Took me awhile since I broke a few of them! I used the " Lucky Numbers" as the cabin number, the "Learn Chinese" was the date we were sailing and the Fortune was "You are going on the Disney Fantasy".

I have also done a puzzle where they had to figure out clues. The final clue was the horn.

Have fun!!!!

Last edited by tmoger; 06-08-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: pics overlap my message
tmoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

We told our kids about the cruise two weeks before we left. I printed up a letter on 'pirate' paper addressed to them from Captain Mickey. Dh sealed the letter with red wax (he tried to make it look like a Mickey head) and we tied it to a helium Snow White balloon. Then he packed it all in a box and addressed it to the kids. When they got home from school, he told them it was delivered that afternoon by some Goofy guy (even I didn't pick up on that until later LOL).

My oldest dd finally got the box open and pulled the balloon out and opened the letter...She only read the first few words out loud then stopped ...I thought she was having trouble reading the fancy script - until she started screaming!

After she ran around for a while we made her come back and read the rest of the letter out loud so that her little sister would understand what the excitement was all about.
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
jmirages
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusBC View Post
We told our kids about the cruise two weeks before we left. I printed up a letter on 'pirate' paper addressed to them from Captain Mickey. Dh sealed the letter with red wax (he tried to make it look like a Mickey head) and we tied it to a helium Snow White balloon.
I am planning on doing something similar for our kids (11, 9, 7,4 at the time of the cruise), but on Christmas. (I know my own grave since we will still have 140+ days before we leave) I am going to get them all kinds of small "summer" stuff (sunscreen, goggles, swim trunks, outfit, sunglasses, etc. and a camera) and have them open it along with a backpack (carry-on) and have them ask the "Why did you get us all this stuff when we could have used it this summer" then give them a box with Mickey ears in it and an invitation to the cruise. I am also going to give them a "voucher" of spending money. I am excited to see the reaction they will give me and getting why I got them all this "summer" stuff
But to help combat the when do we leave question, I am making a count down book.

jmirages is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: