Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #31
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
I was LOOKING for bad behavior, but in all honestly couldn't find any.
Look over here!

wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #32
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaptopia View Post
I've coincidentally ended up at gaydays twice on accident with my family, at DLR. We had my 5 year old sister there and I just could not believe what I saw. Full on making out, nasty t-shirts, groping, groups yelling curse words, and everyone being just downright obnoxious. I am not kidding, after the Halloween fireworks, a group of guys started running and basically trampled my little sister. It was an awful experience for all of us. Back then I didn't have the DIS, so we ended up going again on gaydays and were all extremely upset. Still, I have nothing against gays but I will never go again!
I've bolded what I believe people are reacting to in your posts... which is definitely written in a way to indicate ALL Gays... Everybody... again if you have no issue then Gay Days would have no impact if it's as if you are now claiming that it was just a small group... your first post makes it seem as though you are indicated the whole community. Again not wanting to start anything but this is what, I think, people are reacting to, including myself when I said to use caution to not categorize everybody as a group rather than a very small group of individuals.

If a group of guys plowed over your sister then yes, that is wrong... but that isn't a 'gay' issue, it's a group of adults not using common sense.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #33
STOCKYJIM
Mouseketeer

But why do the Tshirts have to be Red ? they make me look fat!!!

Sorry couldnt resist - I always make stupid comments when things get tense!!

oooh now I think I peed a little!!

see now ive done it again!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

My husband and I go to Gay Days most every year to show our support, and many of the other guests don't even seem to be aware that it's going on. A couple years ago we were heading to the parking lot on the ferry boat. DH was wearing a red Mr. Incredibles shirt, and a woman approached him and asked where he got it. It's an old shirt, so he wasn't even sure, and she said, "That's too bad. I really want to get one. I thought they must sell it around here because several people were wearing it today." We managed to stifle or snickers till we got back to the car.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #35
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
I've never seen so many people in one place act so rude.
Well, unfortunately, I have. My DW and I were once trying to make our way UP mainstreet when hoards were trying to leave after the fireworks, but, there was a parade scheduled for an hour from then. So, what felt like thousands of people were trying to go one direction, we wanted to go the other direction and there were people sitting and staking out spots on the sidewalk.

In theory, the planning of the schedule and our failure to notice it in advance were both poor. We could have avoided experiencing this event by simply not being there. But, we weren't paying enough attention in advance.

Pretty much everyone there was stuck and very little movement was happening. Our attitude started out as annoyance and frustration, but, I really ended up pretty upset by the experience of the crowds.

Many, many people were swearing loudly. I watched people shoving other people out of their way. I watched people lift their wdw rental strollers into the air at head-height and use them as battering rams AND dozens of people decided that their solution was to CLIMB over my DW and her wheelchair.

I mean, seriously, why on earth would you decide that the solution to being in a crowd is to climb on the person using a wheelchair?

This was a Monday night in January. No specific group of people, just a whole lot of people acting rudely all at the same time.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #36
Schotz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hematite153 View Post
Well, unfortunately, I have. My DW and I were once trying to make our way UP mainstreet when hoards were trying to leave after the fireworks, but, there was a parade scheduled for an hour from then. So, what felt like thousands of people were trying to go one direction, we wanted to go the other direction and there were people sitting and staking out spots on the sidewalk.

In theory, the planning of the schedule and our failure to notice it in advance were both poor. We could have avoided experiencing this event by simply not being there. But, we weren't paying enough attention in advance.

Pretty much everyone there was stuck and very little movement was happening. Our attitude started out as annoyance and frustration, but, I really ended up pretty upset by the experience of the crowds.

Many, many people were swearing loudly. I watched people shoving other people out of their way. I watched people lift their wdw rental strollers into the air at head-height and use them as battering rams AND dozens of people decided that their solution was to CLIMB over my DW and her wheelchair.

I mean, seriously, why on earth would you decide that the solution to being in a crowd is to climb on the person using a wheelchair?

This was a Monday night in January. No specific group of people, just a whole lot of people acting rudely all at the same time.
I saw the exact same thing, Hematite, I was also there in january and it was not gaydays or any special event other than new years that week. It was terrible, just about everyone in that park was offensive. I think I have it on video.

Anyways this is why I am never going to disney around holidays, especially new years. This will be my first trip to WDW in June and I was trying to figure out if I'm going with the Gaydays crowd everyday or not. It looks like I will find a joyful and peaceful day with the gaydays crowd.

Looks like someone had a bad gaydays experience in california DL, sorry I should have put that I was only looking for past experiences to GayDays Orlando in June. I think it would be a totally different as California itself is made of an entirely different bunch of people.
Schotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #37
Soaptopia
Doooooooom buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotz View Post
Looks like someone had a bad gaydays experience in california DL, sorry I should have put that I was only looking for past experiences to GayDays Orlando in June. I think it would be a totally different as California itself is made of an entirely different bunch of people.
Yeah, I read the post and you did put WDW in there. I totally missed that, would have saved me some trouble! I mean no harm in anything, and for the record a lot of people in California (in general) have made for very bad times at DLR. The teenagers, oh gosh! I feel so bad when people look at me (I look real young for my age) and think I'm just like all of them. I have not been to WDW and hope to go next year for my honeymoon! I have heard that the people over there are more relaxed and I bet you will have a great time with everyone in June.
Soaptopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Yeah, I read the post and you did put WDW in there. I totally missed that, would have saved me some trouble! I mean no harm in anything, and for the record a lot of people in California (in general) have made for very bad times at DLR. The teenagers, oh gosh! I feel so bad when people look at me (I look real young for my age) and think I'm just like all of them. I have not been to WDW and hope to go next year for my honeymoon! I have heard that the people over there are more relaxed and I bet you will have a great time with everyone in June.
WDW is a blast, and the size really helps stop meltdowns (since people aren't sitting on each other).
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #39
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Cool

We hear these concerns about Gay Days every year.

Someone always says, they don't care if same sex couples get together, but please don't show any public displays of affection.

But I think there are two standards, if a straight couple has a loving short kiss with no tongues, most people think it is romantic, maybe their on their honeymoon.

If a gay or lesbian couple does the absolute exact same thing, then you hear about public displays of affection, and how it might affect their children.

Well, I think it is a GOOD thing that gay people should also be seen as LOVING people when showing affectionate kissing in a caring way.
The more gays and lesbians have to stay in the NO PUBLIC AFFECTION closet, it doesn't show the reality of who we are.
I think it is a good thing, that children see gay people being properly affectionate with each other. Did you ever see a child ask why a straight couple was holding hands?

Honestly who is ever going to tell a straight couple who is mildly kissing, stop it please, it might upset my children.
Really not all gay couples make out heavy in public, grope, and all that.

Some of this is exaggerated when the true standard is I don't want to see two same sex people kissing at all.

Pete is a wonderful guy, I love to hear him and all the podcast members doing the weekly podcast.
I agree with most of his opinions, way more than my own relatives or friends.
He cares about the families that could be offended, and that is nice of him to give the annual warning.
He is definitely part of our community, and is a caring soul.
My partner knows how much I get depressed if Pete is not in a weekly podcast.
Someday I hope to meet Pete and his husband Walter.

I have a gay best friend who worked at Disney for 10 years, and he also disliked the annual sea of red shirts on Gay Days, and I made him go again a few years back. He prefers to go to the Parks with a Group of gay friends, say 12 or less, I respect him for that. He doesn't want it to interfere with the experiences that the rest of the park guests came for. Kind of like he wouldn't want to be in the park when the crowds of teenage cheerleaders descend on the Magic Kingdom. Sometimes you just want to see part of the flock, not the whole flock all at once.

Personally I love Gay Days, because for some of us we are saying to the world, we are here, we are not the unseen minority you think we are, and today I can celebrate that I no longer have to hide in the closet, and I am in my favorite place in the world.

In some ways, this might make some straight people feel odd, because on Gay Days they become kind of a minority for one day, I am sad they get nervous or feel uncomfortable, but hey, this is what my world is like often on the other 364 days of the year.

Some think that Gay Pride Events is better venue for such a gathering, but I think celebrating with your friends, family, children, Tigger, Mickey, castmembers and partners at Disney, is wonderful.
PHILCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carouselgirl View Post
There is always something wrong with someone using the phrase "you people". I am usually a lurker and do not post much, but I was really upset by what Soaptopia posted. As a straight girl with many gay friends, I just want to say wow. Everyday that I have been at the parks, I have witnessed many more straight couples making out. There have also been many people acting inappropriate, swearing, pushing etc.,. Every race, religion, age group, ethnicity, size, and sexual preference have rude people who feel like they are more important than everyone else. Its because they are rude and self absorbed, not because they are gay that they act that way.
Very well said! Thank You.

I was at Gay Days last year and loved it. The crowds were wonderful...very happy and...well...GAY!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #41
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

We've been to WDW during Gay Days lots of times and not noticed anything negative. It looks like we'll be there during Gay Days again this year. Is the red t-shirt something that people wear to show their support for Gay Days? If so, I'll have to remember to pack them for our family

Heck, I see more PDA (hetero, gay, you name it) on our neighborhood beach during spring break than I ever have at Disney. It doesn't bother me there, either, though. It actually reminds me of how glad I am that I live in and raise my kids in an area that is tolerant and open-minded.
LoveBWVVBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #42
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Hot days in June! Whew!

My wife said she's wearing a white tank this year with "This IS my red t-shirt" on it! LOL

SO then? Who is up for the costume party at Tip Top?

Wally, you WILL wear your red pants if we ask nicely won't you? PUUUUUHHHHLEEEEZE?

We'll get Rosie to bring her monkey and goat and everything!!!!

Gotta' love those post counts, huh?

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Do you know I searched and I own no red tshirts appropriate for Disney LOL
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #44
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

Not going to gay daze.
Did you miss the part about the "face of the sun".

Seriously - I had fun - but I just did not get the whole big deal of it.
I live in part of the country where being out is
no big deal so maybe for me the whole "Empowerment /Kumbaya"
part of it was not so palpable.
I'd go if a quorum of my friends where going to be there -
cause that is what was the most fun -but it would not need to be that
"special week" in june. That frign' HOT week in June!

FYI - that was the last time I saw Rob
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #45
nibor
Earning My Ears

Complain

WHY MUST EVERYONE COMPLAIN SO MUCH, YES IT'S HOT IN JUNE, IT;S HOT MOST OF THE TIME IN FLORIDA... JUST COME, SWEAT, HAVE A GOOD TIME, THEY HAVE POOL'S
nibor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: