DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #31
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

New DVC members in April 10. We bought in with plans to do S-Th exclusively to save on points. With the reallocation, we do need 10 - 15 more points for our Studio stays. However, we are still working our way around the resorts, and our BLT points go a long way at OKW. I have noticed that there is usually a lot more activities/shows during the weekends, and with our vacation habit, we are missing them. Once our planned S-Th vacations through 2012 are through, we will be reevaluating our travel/days to stay plans. So for 'value' added vacation content, this may be a good thing for us.

I especially liked the comment on doing a fewer 'longer' trips vs. more 'shorter' trips can actually be more economical once travel time/costs are factored in.

We can live the recent point reallocation and we're glad they didn't change anything for 2012. We have 160 pts at BLT, and DW and I are able to get in 2 - 3 trips a year through 2013. We're pacing our trips to maximize AP usage, so in essence we are taking a year off between a year of trips. This way our point volume builds back up for efficient planning.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #32
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFERBABE View Post
As someone that stayed weekends, in Magic season, I was glad to see the imbalance distributed more evenly.

Weekend guests were paying significantly more for villas and were bearing those costs unfairly. More points, more dues.
Yes, I do agree with what you say. It really was not fair that the weekends were so much higher. But members who always booked weekends purchased the points that they needed to do the vacations they planned on.

People such as myself and the OP purchased points that we believed would allow us to vacation as we planned with the points we bought. And now we can't. At our resort (VWL) they not only added points to the S-TH stays, they also added the more points to the 1 BR (and not as many to the studio or 2 BR). We added on to our original purchase to always be able to stay in a 1 BR. Thanks DVC.

And we will not buy any more points. Sounds like cutting off nose to spite face, but DVC has lost it's glow for us. Cutting back is going to work out too. It is just irritating.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #33
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

The problem is, as Muuska said, people were buying the points they thought they needed. They did not consider any possible reallocations, and bought "just enough" based on the point chart at time of purchase. The error, of course, was that they did not understand that the charts could, and probably would, change at some point as they did in 1996. They failed to realize that charts eventually would have to reflect any changes in usage patterns among members, as point based timeshares really need to strive to have very high occupancy 365 days a year, not just weekdays.

But, it is not Disney's responsibility to be sure you understand all the intricacies of the points based ownership, nor do they have time to cover everything in a sales tour...that is why Florida mandates a reasonable timeframe where you can read the documents and change your mind, even if you purchase resale.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #34
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tight View Post
If Disney continues to increase the points needed to stay at the resorts I'm gonna end up selling and paying out of pocket and staying in a studio over at the value resorts.I'm being forced to choose a shorter vacation now or stay in studios instead of a 1 bedroom.We used to be able to do 2 vacations of 5 days at SSR in a 1 bedroom for around 200 points.Now they raised the points to stay every year since we've purchased DVC.My 2 vacations per year at SSR now costs more than the 200 points to stay in a 1 bedroom both times.Ive settled for a studio for out may trips and a 1 bedroom for out October trips.At this rate I'm gonna be stuck with a studio all the time if i want the 5 day vacations.Disney's excuse to my wife and I was that there's cheaper value priced rooms been added to AKV to compensate the rise at SSR and other resorts. This does nothing for me.I feel there slowly pulling the old bait and switch on us. And If I came out of pocket for the value resorts they will even give me free food most of the time!. DVC members get nada.Just a fancy monthly payment to be in the club.Does anyone else feel the same way?

Mr.Tight
Villain in Training

Private message
IMO that fact that you need more points to have the same vacation is a disappointment and it may make you upset. I feel your pain. Based on our vacation patterns, we also need more points to take that same vacation.

I doesn't matter that Disney is within their legal rights to move the required points around, or that you should have read your contract more closely and anticipated a change, or that you can vacation at a different time of year and not have to use more points, the end result is the same, Disney made a change and it negativity affected you, and for that I am sorry.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #35
disneymember2000
Earning My Ears

We own SSR and love staying there, but if you want to stay in a one bedroom, there are other properties where you can get a one bedroom for less instead of staying in a studio. We have stayed at several of the properties and none disappoint.
disneymember2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #36
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We purchased our 250 points based on the idea that we'd need 123 per week in "Magic" season for 2 weeks in a studio at SSR and which would leave a small handful to play with. This thinking would get us 2 full weeks there OR a combination of other stays (1 week in Magic + 2 long weekends in "cheaper" seasons etc). For us, the reallocations have meant that our 2 week plan in "magic" season has actually gone DOWN 3 points per week to only 120 points each which gives us an extra 10 points (those would cover a Sun-Th night in "adventure" season so we've actually gained the possibiliy of another night). We are resort hoppers and like to stay someplace different on each trip so we feel we still have a lot of flexibility when making our plans. I may sing a different song one day but for now we're still OK...

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

The 2 point reallocations have hurt me, as have most of the changes to DVC since I purchased in 2000. Though I knew changes were possible, it doesn't make them easier to accept. I am one of those Sunday to Friday travelers and now my OKW points don't go as far. OKW now costs point wise for a 2br almost as much as the newer resorts. I wasn't happy with the $95 transfer fee either nor the loss of valet parking, it was nice to have when I needed it. However, the saving grace for me is that I still love OKW, and I'm close enough to Orlando to make it still work! I do understand your frustration!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The problem is, as Muuska said, people were buying the points they thought they needed. They did not consider any possible reallocations, and bought "just enough" based on the point chart at time of purchase.
Unfortunately, that's the way it was sold to most people! Buy what you need to stay a week in Orlando and then enough again to stay a week in Vero to unwind! Great sales pitch, and yes it's not up to Disney to point out all of the possible negatives and they didn't!

What's the old saying, "buyer be ware"!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #39
jsthomps
Earning My Ears

We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"
That's of course true for all resorts, but since DVC can "play" with the values within any given resort the point costs still can go up for someone if they always visit at the same time of the year (and for others it would go down obviously.

And if you are flexible enough, you can just follow the cheap seasons... :-)
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #41
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But, it is not Disney's responsibility to be sure you understand all the intricacies of the points based ownership, nor do they have time to cover everything in a sales tour...that is why Florida mandates a reasonable timeframe where you can read the documents and change your mind, even if you purchase resale.
It is a shame though that the very questions a future owner would ask in order to understand the intricacies of the contract have to be answered by strangers on a Net forum instead of DVC themselves.

What they do I am sure is legal, but it is not very ethical but hey when were timeshare salesmen ever ethical, right.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #42
Snow Shoe
What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The problem is, as Muuska said, people were buying the points they thought they needed. They did not consider any possible reallocations, and bought "just enough" based on the point chart at time of purchase.
Our family had been going to Disney every year since 86'. When we purchased BWV in 98', we decided to buy a considerable larger amount of points based on the idea that we wanted to be able to bringing our adult children and their families along with us to share Disney in the future with them. To date, we've have been fortunate to introduce all of our grandchildren to the wonderful magic that only Disney can offer, now that's priceless my friend!

IMHO, I'm glad that Disney realligned the points, it did need to be done. Both re-allignments didn't hurt me point wise, but I'm sorry that it did so many other people. Unfortunately when chages are made in anything, it usually helps some, and hurts others.

Walt Disney World... been there, done that, GOING BACK!

DLP trip...WOW!!
30th Anniversary trip...DOUBLE WOW!!!!!
Family Trip Christmas 2007...Unbelievable!!!
Retiement trip 2008...DL and WDW Outstanding!!!
Snow Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #43
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
It is a shame though that the very questions a future owner would ask in order to understand the intricacies of the contract have to be answered by strangers on a Net forum instead of DVC themselves.

What they do I am sure is legal, but it is not very ethical but hey when were timeshare salesmen ever ethical, right.
Overall many are ethical, many are not and DVD tends to be at the top of the quality ladder. But they are salespeople, that's what and how they approach things. Their job is to sell, not to make sure the purchase is right for you, to expect otherwise is unreasonable. It's almost exactly like a new car purchase and the sales staff similar if not much better at selling and make a LOT more money. Historically top sales staff income starts at around a quarter million and goes up, that might be different with the current economy for a while though. They will answer questions to the best of their ability. Most know the product itself well but are not that well versed on the intricacies or outside options.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Shoe View Post
IMHO, I'm glad that Disney realligned the points, it did need to be done. Both re-allignments didn't hurt me point wise, but I'm sorry that it did so many other people. Unfortunately when chages are made in anything, it usually helps some, and hurts others.
It did hurt me and it was still the right thing to do.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #45
Laurabearz
I cant load my bobbin!
three kids keep me hopping
I was Grunge before Grunge was Grunge

Hot for Danny DeVito!

Location: 4.53 miles from PatrickIL' s house (would rather live by Universal to see if the Mummy ride will be open before May 21st!)

There has been ANOTHER point allocation THIS year???

How'd I miss that?
1/02 OKW 4/02 Offsite 5/02 BC/Poly 8/02 The Plaza NYC 9/02 BWV/RPR 10/02 HHI GV 12/02 OKW 9/03 VWL 11/03 BWV2/04 OKW/VB5/04 BWV/HRH6/04 HHI 10/04 BCV1/05 OKW 6/05 HHI 9/05 CR/Wonder 12/05 HRH/BWV 5/06 DLR 6/06 BWV 7/06 HHI 10/06 BWV/HRH 11/06OKW/RPR4/07 SSR 7/07 HHI 10/07 OKW/Magic/VWL 12/07 OKW 6/08 DLH 8/08 OKW/HRH10/08 BWV/RPR11/08 OKW/POP2/09 YC/RPR3/09 SSR 6/09 HHI 8/09 RPR/AKVJ/BWV/ASMo10/09 RPR2/10 FWCabins 4/10 BWV08/10 RPR/OKW10/10 BWV1/11 SSR 1/11BCV6/11 RPR/BCV11/11 BCV/AKJSAV 1/12 AKJSAV
On the Horizon HHI 6/12

Universal Orlando is Disney's Best Kept Secret!
Laurabearz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 bedroom, dvc, points needed, saratoga springs, studio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: