DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #16
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I'm actually profiting on my next stay from the rule that overall points cannot be changed. When I planned for our next trip where we will bring family I looked at the points for a 3BR and noticed that the 3BRs at OKW require a lot less points than the 3BRs at any other resort. When I asked about this, someone pointed out that since OKW was the first and at it's time only DVC Resort, they hadn't quite figured out how many points would be needed and probably set them a bit too low.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #17
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

There was a change for us..staying at AK Kidani village 2 bdrm, 2 yrs ago stayed Sun-Sat with no problem...this year when i booked we were 5 points shy
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

We have been members for 14 years and have only seen a point increase 2 times. That hardly seems excessive to me. On top of that, the points we need for our preferred 1 and 2 bedroom villas has gone DOWN with the last reallocation.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
Since DH and I both work, we find that the reallocation of points has actually HELPED us (we can usually on stay Fri, Sat and maybe Sun nites)! Disney cannot change the total points -- they can just require more points on some days (and balance it with less points on other days). Overall the net change is 0.

We have been happy with the changes for 2010 and 2011....

Katherine
Hey Kath! Don't see you much over here.

We are the same, we go for long weekends(sometimes checking in Thursday or Friday).

On most of our usual trips our net has been 0, a couple we maybe saved 20 points.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #20
dzorn
DIS Addict

You may also want to consider a different (lower point) resort for one of your trips.

Though it as negatively changed your point usage DVC does has a responsibility to adjust supply with demand to keep the resorts at a higher occupancy weekends.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tight View Post
Disney's excuse to my wife and I was that there's cheaper value priced rooms been added to AKV to compensate the rise at SSR and other resorts.
There are three possible explanations for this:
  1. Someone was explaining that there were other less-expensive points options at other resorts and you misunderstood that to mean they took points from one resort and moved them somehow to another resort
  2. Whoever told you that had not even the vaguest concept of what they were talking about
  3. They were just flat lying
Regardless of how you came to that conclusion, points cannot be reallocated between resorts. They can be reallocated only within one resort, keeping the same total number of points.
JimMIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.
You must be talking about a specific time period and day of week. With a point based timeshare, when those kind of "balancing" changes happen, you just have to "balance" with them and either change when you vacation or what size villa or location you book.

We tend to travel mostly in December and January. Both are low point times, and the last 2 reallocations have seen the points DECREASE for our normal stay. Now, that was at OKW, and by the same token, our desired stays at AKV have increased a bit, but not beyond reason.

I for one am glad DVC keeps an eye on things in that way so it's more equitable for all.

As others have said....Point values for each resort do not change...Only the distribution of what days and seasons changes.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Mr. Tight, I feel your pain. We now only go once a year instead of twice.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's all so variable depending on your actual plans. I remember looking at our plans for Dec '10 and comparing them to Dec '11 after the changes. If we'd waited until '11, it would have been "cheaper". It all depends on your specific plans...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #25
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

When we first purchased, we often came 3x in a 12-month span (APs) for stays of only 5 nights. Now we would be more like 2 stays over a similar time span of 6-7 nights each.

Ultimately we did "lose" nights due to the higher weekday costs, but honestly I've found that it works out for the best. We spend a lot less on transportation (fly, drive) for 2 stays rather than 3. Also we're only doing 2 check-ins and departures rather than 3--those arrival and departure days are often not very productive.

Taking fewer trips--each of a longer duration--seems to better fit our vacation style these days.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.
Because they can't... at least not without significantly LOWERING the point cost per night in another category/season/day of the week. And while some narrowing has occurred, I don't think you'll find 1BR and studios going for the same price, every night, every season......they're going to maintain some differentiation between (at least) room types and seasons. They MAY go to a flat nightly rate, no matter what day of the week it is...that wouldn't surprise me given how many DVC members have, for a LONG time, "maximized" points by avoiding weekends.

What your sales person told you was either incorrect (that the per night point cost couldn't change) or you misunderstood (that the TOTAL number of points in the resort could not increase...so it would be a zero sum equation should any changes take place). That's regretable. But, either way, it's spelled out in the contracts that every DVC member signs, in great detail.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
We've been the Sun-Thurs vacationer so this new reallocation has changed the way and times we can stay.I have to rethink all my trips instead of the usual times .We like our 1 bedroom! I just sleep better in a king bed cause im a tall guy and the extra room to stretch out is better than my real home.Weekend visitors must be thrilled with the changes. I don't want to get into the borrowing points game year to year or purchase more points.So were gonna adjust accordingly but it stings a little cause jobs and life often dictates our options in booking reservations.
Here's the way I view it: In year 50 (2054 at AKV)...I don't really want my 200 points hanging around to try to use them before the contract expires. I have no issue "borrowing" 5 to 10 points per year when I have to.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #28
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I've always booked weekends, and the only place we are really hurt is with the BC at VB. We bought more points there because our family really enjoys having one. We never bought into VB thinking we would be staying in the BC, it's just worked out that way.

Bobbi
Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

You may still be able to do Sun-Thurs in a 1 BR at the times of year you travel by staying at AKL or OKW during one of the visits.

I know you said you did not want to borrow or buy points, but if you need fewer than 24 points per year, there is the option to purchase one time points from DVC at $15/point, but then you have to schedule the trip in the 7 month window. Resales for SSR are relatively affordable right now, but it is hard to find small point value resales.

We purchased DVC with the intention of having enough points for a 7-day, 1BR vacation annually during all seasons except premier. The point re-allocation has affected our plans as well. We probably should have purchased 10-15 more than we thought we would need, but I did not want to have points go unused.
Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV

As someone that stayed weekends, in Magic season, I was glad to see the imbalance distributed more evenly.

Weekend guests were paying significantly more for villas and were bearing those costs unfairly. More points, more dues.

"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 bedroom, dvc, points needed, saratoga springs, studio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: