Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #76
vegs1
Mouseketeer

subbing
vegs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #77
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Yes I know! I have to say we could have been there earlier, but I wasn't going to give up my WDW morning for that. AND I was really happy to discover that 9 was not at the end... the boarding number gave me great perspective. You don't have to break your neck trying to get to the terminal, or leave any earlier. We left WDW at 9am, so if you are closer, it wont be that early.
Well, we have a Boma breakfast ressie at 7:45 that morning. I fully intend to enjoy it and not rush through it too. I need to just take a "we'll get there when we get there" approach - I'm just not sure the OCD part of me can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Drink of the day was FABULOUS! They have non alcoholic and alcoholic choices.
Where the fun in that?!
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #78
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Let me just say for the record that I am so glad it is Saturday, and I finally have a chance to catch up on all your adventures!

Yes, count me in as another DISer who loves early mornings at WDW!

Those candy boxes are very cute!!! I will have to remember to keep an eye out for them in May.

DH's dramatic pose is very funny!

I would have stressed over getting number nine as well, but glad it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you thought.

Remy's is gorgeous on the inside! Is it another restaurant like Palo's or on the normal rotation?

Ah, a drink to start off the cruise! Just perfect!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #79
Dugette
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling this TR is going to make me really want to take a cruise on the Dream!

Sounds like a good start to your voyage. Looking forward to more!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #80
Happydog
DIS Veteran

A perfect ending to our first night!

After the Sail Away Party, I zipped down to our cabin, cleaned up and got dressed. I then headed up to Palo’s! Here are some photos there at the restaurant. Next time I am going to ask our server to take some photos of us, but I did take a few of the restaurant area… I am not one to take pics of food, sorry guys! But I did take some of the restaurant. After dinner we went to the show, and walked about the ship. Here is what we saw on that first night…

Shots from Palo’s…

This was as I turned around from our table by the windows... notice no guests... this stayed empty the entire time we were there, 6:30 - 8:30.

VERY cool chandelier in the entrance

The entrance when you come up the stairs from Aft... Left is Palo and Right is Remy's

Okay okay, I don’t normally go around taking photos of bathrooms, but really, I was so amazed that things were so elegant and well appointed, and how each area of the ship “fit” the theme of the location… so here is what they looked like at Palo/Remy’s….

The tile work in all the bathrooms was really amazing, I mean I don’t normally notice these kind of things, but I was really impressed with the craftsmanship on the boat and the attention to theme and color. It really was neat.

So ABOUT Palos… AMAZING, FABULOUS food! I LOVED it. NO disappointment, except the pizzas. NOT like I remember from before, and not that great. Save your appetite! choose another appetizer! Don’t forget you can sample stuff, don’t assume one starter/entrée is it! DH and I each had a starter and split another… the second night we each had an entrée and split a pasta (rather asked for ½ portions to sample) It was nice not to feel like we had too much food, but got what we wanted! The menu is full of fabulous choices!!!

It was at dinner we decided to get the wine package. We ended up getting the deluxe wine package… they have NICE wine choices. We got a red this first night, a white the second, finished that white the third night, then had a bottle of sparkling wine the fourth night. It was $129.00 but the wines outright were more, and over the course of four nights, the 3 bottle package was right for us.

I will also say, the dining room was EMPTY. There was maybe 10 tables total. They even gave some of the Palos staff the night off. Our waiter even suggested that Remy’s had even fewer patrons, or didn’t have any at all?! I never got that clear. To me this just convinced me even more that no matter what it seems, reservations could be available, especially that first night onboard. We MISSED Animator’s for the chance to go to Palos. Which I could accept knowing of the three it is the one we will most likely NOT give up for the kids next cruise. So knowing that it was similar to the old one (with many new twists) I still figured it would be the restaurant to see with the boys.

The Meridian Bar by night… we visited it also during the afternoon, the next day!

So as I said we then headed down to Deck 4 and walked the promenade outside, almost got blown away with the wind LOL! But strolled a little then headed to the theater... I got a little braver with the photos later in the cruise (while in the theater, I mean) but here is a few I took of the theater, without flash, just of the proscenium in the theater. I have better later on. This show was The Golden Mickeys.

We strolled around a little, it was the 9 pm show we saw, so after I just wanted to explore. I took much better photos during the cruise!

This is the Vista cafe area, it is opposite Shutters (the photographer area) and they have great coffee drinks and small pastries, etc. there. It was a nice place to sit and have a coffee. It was pretty and there was a nice view below to the 3rd level and main lobby. You could hear the pianist from there. This is also where the Cruise booking agent and the DVC agent had desks!!!

It being the first night, I guess a lot of people really turned in after dinner and the show (the 5 and 7 pm show being busier I think) but really we never saw great amounts of people. The ship hides how many people are really on board!!! There are FOUR areas I felt gave you the impression that the ship was “full”:

The lobbies in front of dining rooms, about 30 minutes BEFORE dinner times.. The shops and the shopping area lobby before and after shows in the theater (people waiting to go in, people exiting in large numbers, and of course going right into the shops!)

The pool decks around the main pools generally each day, all day.

The adult pool deck from noon – 4

The shows (the theaters themselves)

character meets

The line at Disembarkation!!!

The AquaDuck line!!!

I didn’t feel that the QS counters for sandwiches, pizza, etc. were ever really long, it could be the time we went, but everything seemed to flow well. Same for Cabanas.

My point was this night in particular, was that the ship felt really empty! We walked through the night club area, called The District, Didn’t stop anywhere, but I just wanted to see… I didn’t take photos because I didn’t want it to look like was on a photo shoot, especially with people at the bars and tables. But there was lots of available seating.

Again this cruise was sold out, but what I discovered was that this didn’t necessarily mean it was 4000 passengers. Apparently it also has something to do with the balance of people on the boat for safety reasons. Something about number of bodies per cabin, families, etc… They can only have a certain number of people on the ship per side. If there are more people in one stateroom, then that still equates to the same # of people, and not necessarily a used cabin. Likewise, if those numbers add up to a certain # for one side of the ship on all decks, then can’t take on more. So while a cruise is “sold out” it doesn’t mean EVERY cabin and bed… I don’t understand it totally, and probably am not explaining it well, or 100% accurately, but the bottom line is that “sold out” doesn’t mean PACKED like sardines!

So after our stroll around the ship, we ended our very pleasant evening close to midnight, and arrived back in our cabin… HERE is what was waiting for us!

The red bag had beach towels, for our use at port if we chose. We hit the sheets pretty easily, and slept really well.

The next day we’d be in Nassau, and having been there now three times, we stayed on the boat.

Day 2 coming up next …. TTFN!!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #81
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The Dream looks absolutely amazing!
Your stateroom is beautiful.
Can't wait to read more!

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #82
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Jen, thank you SO much for taking the time to answer all of my questions, I really appreciate it! We really are so excited! I hope we can meet up for a drink onboard!

Hey! No problem. Happy to. It keeps all the details fresh for me, too! I didn't take enough pics of the kid stuff, but I saw a lot and asked questions. Plus I have been reading myself. And YES! Maybe one night after dinner or something if everyone's kids are in the kids club! I am so looking foward to going back to Pink for a champagne cocktail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegs1 View Post
subbing
Glad to have you along!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Well, we have a Boma breakfast ressie at 7:45 that morning. I fully intend to enjoy it and not rush through it too. I need to just take a "we'll get there when we get there" approach - I'm just not sure the OCD part of me can do that

Where the fun in that?!
Oh yes, that will work for you, exactly, don't rush.

RE the drinks, DH got one he actually really liked and after a few sips said, hey, all this needs is the rum... SO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Let me just say for the record that I am so glad it is Saturday, and I finally have a chance to catch up on all your adventures!

Yes, count me in as another DISer who loves early mornings at WDW!

Those candy boxes are very cute!!! I will have to remember to keep an eye out for them in May.
They were very cute. I don't know who I would by one for, but I laughed at the packaging! I knew I was preaching to the choir on the morning views.... the best.

Quote:

DH's dramatic pose is very funny!

I would have stressed over getting number nine as well, but glad it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you thought.
Oh he had to do it a few times I kept cracking up then laughing and the camera kept moving... but it was okay! You get the point!

You know I am glad to know the story so I don't fret next time. Matt knows how I get OCD, anxious, etc. and he says RELAX... so it will be easier knowing all of this going in with the kids!

Quote:
Remy's is gorgeous on the inside! Is it another restaurant like Palo's or on the normal rotation?
Sadly, it is NOT on the rotation!!! I think people would never leave! It is like Palos. You have to pay the surcharge. I fear we are so spoiled. I had one mediocre meal in the main dining room, the rest was quite good. Our server brought me another entree, so that was corrected, but I can only imagine what Remy's is like. It is more... $75.00 a person. So we have to decide if the $150.00 is what we want to spend our $$ on. Know what I mean?

Quote:
Ah, a drink to start off the cruise! Just perfect!
Yes. It was. But, err... it was more than "a drink to start off the cruise" I fear... Those $5.75 Bahama Mama's go down quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
I have a feeling this TR is going to make me really want to take a cruise on the Dream!

Sounds like a good start to your voyage. Looking forward to more!
You know, any TR will do that to you!!! You are not suffering from an ailment that we all don't have too!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #83
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

You are definitely selling the cruise experience. Color me tempted! Sorry for the newbie question but what is the difference b/w Palo and Remy? I understand both are "signature" dining and that Palo existed on the other ships whereas Remy is new with the Dream. Any other differences? Did you try Remy this trip?

Can't get over those restrooms... wow!

You are really making me want to try a cruise...

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #84
Dugette
DIS Veteran

The ship looks beautiful! I love that chandelier! Can't wait to see more!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #85
MEK
DIS Veteran

Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures of the boat. It looks simply amazing.

Palo looks lovely.

I am glad your cruise is off to such a great start. Love it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #86
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures of the ship, I can't wait to see her for myself

How was The Golden Mickey's?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #87
cvrapclark
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Enjoying your report!! We sail May 26th!!

DH (47) DW (45) DS (22) DD (13) DD (7) June '87 - Honeymoon Many, many trips prior to 2003 Dec '03 & '04 - ASMusic Dec '05 & '06 - PC Dec '07 - AKV!!! Nov '08 - Pop Century May '09 - Disney Wonder / July '09 - Water Park Trip - SSR Nov '09 - 1st Bay Lake stay May 2010 - OKW with friends!! July 10 - AKV Dec 10 - POR March 2011 - AKV May 2011 - Disney Dream and BW Oct 2011 - POR, 1st MNNSHP March 2012 - 1st BCV May 2012 - 25th Anniversary Cruise and BLT
cvrapclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #88
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Back home and finally catching up.
I enjoy seeing your cruise pictures, as it is doubtful I will ever go on one. I would love to see Castaway Cay, though.

The new candy boxes were all over Disney World this trip. Same candy put in cleverly themed boxes - I bet they have tripled in sales!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #89
basketrn
Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

Great TR so far. We are leaving for our 4 day dream trip in 19 days!!
basketrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #90
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

The ship looks amazing! Thank you for sharing so many pictures! It really gets me more anxious to go on a cruise next year.

Erika

jeremysdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: