Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #152
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Thank you for taking the time to share. I am enjoying.

I have a question (and I hope you have not already answered and i missed it). Several people have talked about how confusing it was- where hall suddenly ends and you have to go back to stairs, go up a floor walk to the other end and then down a floor. That kind of thing. Did you find getting around confusing. Is there a map that shows which halls do not go through, etc. Thanks
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #153
Grooovertoo
DIS Dad #572

Great TR, marking my spot to read more later.......thanks. I'm ready for my Bahama Mama now!

Dave
DisDAD Member #572 Dave Darla & Dana (9)

Grooovertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #154
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I know I came over here and started reading the other day... apparently I didn't subscribe! But I'm all caught up now. The Dream is beautiful & you look like you were having a great time.
Oh glad you are here! I am getting over to your TR, love the ground hog allusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to share. I am enjoying.

I have a question (and I hope you have not already answered and i missed it). Several people have talked about how confusing it was- where hall suddenly ends and you have to go back to stairs, go up a floor walk to the other end and then down a floor. That kind of thing. Did you find getting around confusing. Is there a map that shows which halls do not go through, etc. Thanks
Hmmm.. I didn't really have that trouble. Maybe depending on what floor you were on? I am sure the maps do give you that clarity, I hadn't seen the posts on the Cruise board about these items so I'd have to know the specifics. However there are maps everywhere, and generally you can get to all levels with the three sets of elevators. We didn't use the front elevators much, mostly the aft and midship. But the front elevators were the least used...I didn't find the ship confusing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooovertoo View Post
Great TR, marking my spot to read more later.......thanks. I'm ready for my Bahama Mama now!

Dave

Great! I'm ready for a Bahama Mama, too!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #155
dvccruiser76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hello! Welcome! Well, it depends on when you board, obviously, but I would say just take the first elevators you can to Cabanas. If they run it the way they did in February, you either pick up the phone or show up at the restaurants at 1:00. It isn't at D lounge. Well it wasn't for the President's day weekend cruise. So if between now and then, they go back to everything at D Lounge, then you will want to make your way to D Lounge which is in the FRONT of the ship on Deck 4 I believe. So you don't have to take the elevator. Just walk up the stairs. However, if it stays as it is now, I would say if you take the elevators, either AFT, or midship, you'll be in the right place. Because Palo's and Remy's is above Cabanas.

These are not "private," or inside the restaurant. They are right there in the lobby landing area near the two restaurants. They are just themed to what is around them. Like I said, I changed in one it was so empty up there!

All the menu items at Palo's are wonderful... That I have tried, anyhow. The lamb is fabulous.

Meridian had some great martini style cocktails. I had a champagne blended thing at Pink -- I wish I could remember what it was called!!!!

Meridian was open from the afternoon on... we went around 5, I think, or between 4 and 5.... hard to remember exactly the time...

Have a great trip, and be sure to confirm any details on the boards, because it helps all of us!
Thanks, I will make my way there and maybe have my husband call in case there's a line.

I saw one menu that mentioned a creme brulee martini in Meridian that I have my eyes on

I also saw a pic of a champagne at Pink that comes with a dessert. Mmmm mmm good. Sign me up

DVC Member Since Dec 2000
Walt Disney World, Disneyland & Disneyland Paris

Disney Dream - May 2011 (Bahamas), NCL Pearl - Aug 07 (Alaska), Disney Wonder - Dec 04 (Bahamas), Disney Wonder - May 04 (Bahamas), Disney Magic - Mar 03 (Western Caribbean), NCL Majesty - Aug 02 (Bermuda), Disney Magic - Apr 02 (Eastern Caribbean), RCCL Nordic Empress - May 97 (Eastern Caribbean)
dvccruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #156
sc507
Mouseketeer

Enjoying reading about your trip! Can't wait for more!
sc507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #157
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Bring on Castaway Cay Day!

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #158
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hmmm.. I didn't really have that trouble. Maybe depending on what floor you were on? I am sure the maps do give you that clarity, I hadn't seen the posts on the Cruise board about these items so I'd have to know the specifics. However there are maps everywhere, and generally you can get to all levels with the three sets of elevators. We didn't use the front elevators much, mostly the aft and midship. But the front elevators were the least used...I didn't find the ship confusing at all.
Thanks! That sounds great. I had read on at least three trip reports of people saying they had trouble on deck 5 where there was a locked door and they had to go up and then back down to get to the club/lab. Here is a quote from Daddy's In Charge that has a thread here that links to his blog.

"There are many issues with the layout of the ship that just don't make sense to me. There was a lack of signage telling people where to go, hallways that just kind of ended and the access to the stairs and elevators were quite confusing. More than once I thought I would be able to get to somewhere I wanted to go, only to have to climb back up two flights of stairs to walk down a giant hall to go back down two flights, it really was quite maddening at times. I don't want to have to look at a map all the time to figure out where I need to go. Luckily we were on this boat for seven nights so we were able to figure things out. I don't know how people on just a three day cruise felt, but I would have been completely lost."

This is why I asked. It is comforting knowing that you did not find it confusing. Thanks again.
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #159
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc507 View Post
Enjoying reading about your trip! Can't wait for more!
Thanks! More coming tonight!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
Bring on Castaway Cay Day!
You got it!!! just after dinner and baths!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
Thanks! That sounds great. I had read on at least three trip reports of people saying they had trouble on deck 5 where there was a locked door and they had to go up and then back down to get to the club/lab. Here is a quote from Daddy's In Charge that has a thread here that links to his blog.

"There are many issues with the layout of the ship that just don't make sense to me. There was a lack of signage telling people where to go, hallways that just kind of ended and the access to the stairs and elevators were quite confusing. More than once I thought I would be able to get to somewhere I wanted to go, only to have to climb back up two flights of stairs to walk down a giant hall to go back down two flights, it really was quite maddening at times. I don't want to have to look at a map all the time to figure out where I need to go. Luckily we were on this boat for seven nights so we were able to figure things out. I don't know how people on just a three day cruise felt, but I would have been completely lost."

This is why I asked. It is comforting knowing that you did not find it confusing. Thanks again.
Ah, well he seems to be trying to go the length of the ship? I think I remember being surprised, maybe once that the floor didn't go all the way across... or something like that, I vaguely remember one "dead end" as it were, but didn't give it much thought at the time. We were on the 9th deck, however, so we only had to walk up two to get to the decks outside, or, go down to the midship elevators to go down to 3, 4, etc... So our back and forth was pretty limited to those choices. It may have been also due to where his cabin was. It is a big ship, regardless!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #160
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvccruiser76 View Post
Thanks, I will make my way there and maybe have my husband call in case there's a line.

I saw one menu that mentioned a creme brulee martini in Meridian that I have my eyes on

I also saw a pic of a champagne at Pink that comes with a dessert. Mmmm mmm good. Sign me up
Oh I saw that martini, too! But it was too dessert like for me at that time of day... after dinner? Now that would be a different story! Same with champagne and dessert! I didn't recall that, but I couldn't think about eating after Palo's!!!! It was a bellini type drink, but it wasn't called a bellini! I will try to check for the drink list.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #161
scrappinmom
Still Tagless.......

Thinking of booking our first cruise in November 2011....I'm LOVING your TR!!!

I think I know the answer...but is Remy/Palo adults only? I'll be crusing with my 17yr old dd, she's still considered a "kid" correct?

scrappinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #162
ja_rule_lover420
Lovin Disney more everytime I come on here.

is the food good

ja_rule_lover420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #163
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Heading to the Cay!

So this morning was a great morning because we were going to spend the day at Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island. LET me say, it is the best place to spend the day!!!

Our morning began similarly, we woke up, headed to the workout room, and then back to our cabin to get ready for Castaway Cay!!

So with our bags filled with the beach necessities, we headed down to the Royal Palace for breakfast. We were immediately seated, and though it took a little while to get the order, had a nice breakfast in the main dining room, our first glimpse of the Royal Palace.

Of sit down breakfast, let me simply say it is nice to be waited on, and while there were a few items on the menu I don’t recall seeing at Cabanas, it is more or less the same food. In fact, I think the eggs benedict I had at Cabanas the previous morning were better! However they did have the fabulous mango yogurt blend which I remember from the last cruise. and that was worth it, but more or less I think Cabanas is the way to go for breakfast.
As we were heading to the restaurant I took a few lobby photos. Here they are...

This is the "Bon Voyage" bar, on the midship main lobby.

Here is the other chair and mosaic...

These are all taken in the midship (main) lobby area...

Beautiful chandelier, isn't it??!!

There were so many nice seating areas, all over the ship, but this area was really inviting...

After breakfast, we made our way down to the 2nd level, and to the exit for the ship. The weather was perfect. We were looking forward to a day of sun and relaxing!!

I don't think I really got the size of the boat until I took these photos... I have some I took later in the day, as well. This was a quick one, because we were anxious to get to our destination!!!!

Mickey gives directional clues JUST in case you lose your way!!!

They had a new tram stop, and a few new trams. We hopped on the tram headed to Serenity Bay and we were OFF!!!!

Did someone say KONK KOOLER??!!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #164
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Breezes and freezes

We headed directly to Serenity Bay, and found two nicely positioned lounge chairs! Here are some of the photos I took while at Serenity Bay …

It was a beautiful day!! The sun and drinks were plenty...

We spent the morning lounging and reading, and well, Konk Cooler-ing. I bought one of the souvenir cups (just like the one from last year – they make great pool cups in the summer!) at 1:30 (before they closed down the BBQ lunch at Serenity Bay) we headed over to get something to eat -- OH I love the FAB BBQ! I definitely enjoy lunch there! We then rode the tram back over to the main beaches in Castaway Cay.

So here is the new portion of the beach. It is also where the cabanas are. If you look at this photo, you can see the left half of the beach is very empty. This is the "private" beach for the cabanas ... there is a rope down the beach and into the water a little ways to keep this area for those families who have rented them for the day. I am not going to say too much about them, because my opinion is only one opinion, but I will say that I have never stayed in one and not sure that it would be worth the cost for OUR family ($499.00 -- or something like that).. I had entertained the idea when we are on the 7 day cruise, mostly for my DMIL and DFIL, but since it likely won't be that hot, not sure we will need it. I have seen a few threads about the cabanas posted on the cruise board. It does seem that they are worth it for certain circumstances, and families... I think it would be amazingly nice to be in a cabana, not sure how I feel about the line in the sand. From what I can see, they sound VERY nice!!

The rest of these random photos were just taken over the course of the afternoon.. seeing them beats the rain we are getting here!!

The Pelican Plunge looks awesome! You won't see me on it! Sorry!!! LOL!

I am sure you can see the cameos of my CCay cup!!!

When we were on the Feb Cruise LAST year, we saw this area being build... it was fun checking them out in person. We found a couple of lounge chairs near the Pelican Plunge, so we had the opportunity to see what the area was like, and to check out the crowds. I also explored the area myself, including the shops! Gotta love the view of the ship from the pier. There is a bar here as well, so nice access and view from the bar stools they have around.

SOME ship, right???

Here he is, scheming about our next cruise... HA!

THIS sign and the name of course, just made me laugh. And think of WigD.... LOL!!!!

More to come in the final Castaway Cay day... we are SO excited to get back here!!!!!

Last edited by Happydog; 03-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #165
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I think Castaway Cay day is the part of the cruise I am most looking forward to, I wish they would just leave me there and pick me up on another stop

Wow, looks like the Cabana area was empty! Wonder if they weren't rented on that cruise or if the inhabitants just weren't on the beach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: