Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Purseval
DIS Veteran

Clark Howard vs Dave Ramsey - What a difference!

I have listened to Clark Howard for years and knew about Dave Ramsey but never heard his radio show. Our local station recently added him so I've been listening for about a week. Talk about night vs day! Clark Howard is all about how to save money while Dave Ramsey is all about how to enrich Dave Ramsey. Every call has an ad in between, he recommends people from his website and pushes his courses and books. Clark never endorses anyone who pays him. He writes books but recommends that you check them out from the library for free rather than buy them to save money. Whenever he goes on the road it's always a free seminar.

Since this is a Disney board, Dave is pushing his entreleadership course to be held at the Swan/Dolphin in May. His site doesn't post the price other than you can get $500 off if you register early. Clark would faint if he as much as looked at the price for a room at the Swan

I don't know. Perhaps if I had never heard of Clark Howard then Dave Ramsey would sound just great. There's certainly nothing wrong with his advice or his system. As it is he's a joke. But he did say something to one of his callers that pointed out the major difference between himself and Clark. He said if you're running a business and it isn't making you money it's not a business it's a hobby. Clearly he's running a business. Clark Howard made millions in the travel industry and retired in his thirties. He could make a lot more with what he does now but saving money and being a major tightwad is his hobby and he's doing what he loves to do.

This being the age of the Internet audio stream I suggest that if you've never heard of Clark Howard you do a search and see if you can stream his show and check out the differences for yourself.
Purseval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purseval View Post
I have listened to Clark Howard for years and knew about Dave Ramsey but never heard his radio show. Our local station recently added him so I've been listening for about a week. Talk about night vs day! Clark Howard is all about how to save money while Dave Ramsey is all about how to enrich Dave Ramsey. Every call has an ad in between, he recommends people from his website and pushes his courses and books. Clark never endorses anyone who pays him. He writes books but recommends that you check them out from the library for free rather than buy them to save money. Whenever he goes on the road it's always a free seminar.

Since this is a Disney board, Dave is pushing his entreleadership course to be held at the Swan/Dolphin in May. His site doesn't post the price other than you can get $500 off if you register early. Clark would faint if he as much as looked at the price for a room at the Swan

I don't know. Perhaps if I had never heard of Clark Howard then Dave Ramsey would sound just great. There's certainly nothing wrong with his advice or his system. As it is he's a joke. But he did say something to one of his callers that pointed out the major difference between himself and Clark. He said if you're running a business and it isn't making you money it's not a business it's a hobby. Clearly he's running a business. Clark Howard made millions in the travel industry and retired in his thirties. He could make a lot more with what he does now but saving money and being a major tightwad is his hobby and he's doing what he loves to do.

This being the age of the Internet audio stream I suggest that if you've never heard of Clark Howard you do a search and see if you can stream his show and check out the differences for yourself.
Good analysis of the two show hosts. I like Clark Howard.
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisTheBest View Post
Good analysis of the two show hosts. I like Clark Howard.
I agree. Clark is by far my favorite and you have stated exactly why. I met Clark in person about 6 years ago. He's as nice in person as he is on the radio.
Swimalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

I've never heard of him, but I dislike the constant 'selling' on Dave Ramseys site, even though the principals are sound. I'll try to find him. Thanks!

Thanks eandesmom!!!
SunnieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

http://www.clarkhoward.com/

He only wears either free polos from the radio station (WSB in Atlanta) or ones he gets through Costco. He will buy 2 regular McDonald's burgers and put them together to make his own version of a Big Mac because it's slightly cheaper than buying a Big Mac (although I think he might be away from fast food now that he's trying to get healthier). Sadly, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 18 months ago. He's monitoring it well.
Swimalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I'm not a dave ramsey fan but I just chalked it up to "he's not my style"
I didn't like his constant selling, his constant political complaints and how he demonizing things he doesn't see as worthwhile (ex. new cars or time shares).

I will admit he seems to have help a lot of people including many here. so that's a good thing.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Purseval
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimalie View Post
I met Clark in person about 6 years ago. He's as nice in person as he is on the radio.
You mentioning how nice Clark is reminded me of another difference between the 2 I've noticed. Dave is big on real estate investing. Clark is also big on real estate but in a different way: he's already built 39 homes with Habitat For Humanity and I believe they are working on 3 more right now.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

Here ya go!

http://www.clarkhoward.com/s/podcast/clarkshow/

Thanks eandesmom!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimalie View Post
http://www.clarkhoward.com/

He only wears either free polos from the radio station (WSB in Atlanta) or ones he gets through Costco. He will buy 2 regular McDonald's burgers and put them together to make his own version of a Big Mac because it's slightly cheaper than buying a Big Mac (although I think he might be away from fast food now that he's trying to get healthier). Sadly, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 18 months ago. He's monitoring it well.
Gosh, I was a day late and a dollar short! I like this guy already!!

Thanks eandesmom!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

I also agree.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
palavra
DIS Veteran

I love Clark Howard! He gives money saving advice that makes sense. I did read one of the Dave Ramsey books, but, for my family, his suggestions just
didn't fit our family. In theory, I know it makes sense to live bare bones until everything is paid off, but, in reality, with a child, I would find that next to impossible to do. We are following some of Dave's principlas on a modified scale.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Clark Howard is great!

I know a lot of peole have been helped by Dave Ramsey, which is a good thing, but there is plenty of free sound financial advice without paying for Dave Ramsey. I dont blame him for making a living, but it does make me sad to see how much he charges for his things (like Financial Peace University) when the people I know who have taken FPU are really living paycheck to paycheck. I guess it is a worthwhile investment to those that he helps get back on track, but I really prefer Clark Howard's style.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
FanofWalt&Mouse
Earning My Ears

Very interesting. Never heard of Clark Howard. I may now check him out. I've always enjoyed listening to Dave Ramsey. I've read his books, and my church offers FPU. I also used the student version of financial peace while homeschooling my daughter. It has served our family well. I have plenty of room in my life for another guru on money & budgeting!!
FanofWalt&Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Purseval
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofWalt&Mouse View Post
Very interesting. Never heard of Clark Howard. I may now check him out.
A basic biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Howard
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I like Clark Howard better too. Dave Ramsey is very much about advertising himself. I have used some of Clark Howard's tips...about drying razors and it actually works...I get double the time out of my razors.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: