Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerlover91 View Post
You forgot something....

Thank you! Now, we've got ourselves a party!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

I never knew this till the DIS boards, it changed our trip last year not having to rush to be in the time frame. I was really surprised that disney allowed it. People might want to call it cheating, but if CMs allow it, in almost all circumstances, then it can't be against the rules.

me, DH, DS(6)
OCT 2001-AKL / OCT 2002-engaged at AKL / OCT 2006-AKL
DEC 2008-DS first trip-GF / MAY 2010-GPs, AKL / OCT 2011-Poly / NOV 2012-DL with cousins/ NOV 2013 CSR with GPs/ SpringBreak 2014-CR
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
neener3
Mouseketeer

We were there last week, and you certainly can do it. Nobody said a thing to us. If you leave it to after a big show, like we did you might end up feeling like banging your head off of the wall, after you realize that everyone else had the same idea (Space Mountain, right after Wishes....stooopid.). Wait an extra half an hour, then try lol.
neener3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

I remember getting a fast pass for TSM and arriving back within the window printed on it only to discover TSM was temporarily not operating. We did other stuff and came back later, and the CM never said a word about us being several hours later than the window on the fast pass.

There's no way to know that you'll be able to make it within that hour window on the fast pass. You could get stuck on a ride, end up taking longer to eat dinner, or delayed by really anything. But you didn't mess it up for anyone else, either. Think if it as arriving on time, and then just letting people go ahead of you until you feel ready to go. You might be several hours late, but you didn't really inconvenience anyone else. That's why it's pretty much permitted, and why you shouldn't sweat it if you don't use your fast pass within the time window printed on it.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
LadyZolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Wow, I did not expect this to turn into such a looooong thread! Thanks, everyone, for your input.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
pinkerbell
FREE DDP 06, 07, 08, 09 & 10!!

and such a friendly one as well.. seems like some were looking for something else... :

mom dad dd 9 dd 7
Link to AOA pics - more than you could possibly want!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009843
Summer 87 Magic Kingdom College Program, 4 93, 4 94 and 3 95, 3 & 10 96, 10 98, 5 99, 10 01, 10 02, 10 04 & 10 05 off property 5 05 and 10 06 ASSports 9 07, 9 08 & 9 09 ASMo, POR 2 10, POP 4 10 and ASMo 9 10, ASMo 9 11, Dolphin 2 12, POP 4 12, AoA 9 12, Dolphin 1 13, POP 4 13 Dolphin 1 14 POP 4 14
pinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

We almost never used a FP in the window it gives you. I have never once, not an any attraction, been questioned about a late FP or told I can't use it.

People have ADRs, they get in stand by lines, they watch shows....I don't think it happens too often that people put their day on hold to stand next to the FP line. Although we all know the annoyance with those people.
imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
yes, you can use them after the scheduled time. just not before, not even 1 minute before.
I think it all depends on the CM. On our last trip, we had FP's for Kilimanjaro. We arrived 5 minutes early before our allowed time. We saw that we were early so just decided to stand around and wait until our 5 minutes were up. We didn't ask the CM if we could go in early, we were content on just waiting. CM asked me what time we had on our FP's. I showed him and he said close enough, and let us go in.

Thanks to everyone here, I was happy to learn that you could use FP's later on in the day. This really helped us to just take our time and stroll through the parks. Never got questioned once for returning late.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
I think it all depends on the CM. On our last trip, we had FP's for Kilimanjaro. We arrived 5 minutes early before our allowed time. We saw that we were early so just decided to stand around and wait until our 5 minutes were up. We didn't ask the CM if we could go in early, we were content on just waiting. CM asked me what time we had on our FP's. I showed him and he said close enough, and let us go in.

Thanks to everyone here, I was happy to learn that you could use FP's later on in the day. This really helped us to just take our time and stroll through the parks. Never got questioned once for returning late.
It is EXTREMELY rare to be allowed in early. And even then, it's only within a few minutes anyways.

If it were common, it would actually defeat the purpose of Fastpass at all...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #25
FosterA
DIS Veteran

I don't get it no matter how many times I see posts trying to explain it. If you can return anytime AFTER your allotted return time, it just seems like there are 2 standby lines now I would think you should HAVE to come during the hour allotted for you and have no idea why they don't enforce it.
Of course, I'm new here and am just now heading out on my first Disney trip so I don't know nuthin'. lol
FosterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It is EXTREMELY rare to be allowed in early. And even then, it's only within a few minutes anyways.

If it were common, it would actually defeat the purpose of Fastpass at all...
I know it's extremely rare and know that's it usually within a few minutes, if that. Had we shown up 10 minutes earlier I'm sure he wouldn't have let us in. It was said that you can't even use it 1 minute before. I just commented that its up to the CM. Just so happens the CM was nice enough to let us in early. Some are sticklers to the rules, others don't see 1 minute as a big deal.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #27
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
I don't get it no matter how many times I see posts trying to explain it. If you can return anytime AFTER your allotted return time, it just seems like there are 2 standby lines now I would think you should HAVE to come during the hour allotted for you and have no idea why they don't enforce it.
Of course, I'm new here and am just now heading out on my first Disney trip so I don't know nuthin'. lol
See LadyZolt's post above. Her second paragraph is why it can't be strictly enforced. You may be delayed through no fault of your own. And once it's not strictly enforced, then where should they draw the line? Might as well just leave it open anytime the rest of the day--in fact, I think Disney should just drop the one-hour limit printed on the FP and just say something like "anytime after". But then, everyone would know this trick.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
Then you've never experienced the Fastpass line...hard to make a comment on it then, isn't it?

It isn't just another standby line, because it is far shorter - if run properly (and no extenuating circumstances), it should essentially be empty all the time except when people first arrive in it, because the FP queue should NEVER exceed the total load rate of the attraction - in fact, it should be some base percentage of that rate - I don't know what Disney uses, but say 50%. It could be higher, but I don't think so. So when it's time to load, the FP queue should empty out completely, and then the standby line goes. If things are a little out of whack, they may hold some of the FP line a bit to make sure some of the Standby line gets through. Depends a bit on the CM.

Test Track seems to often be a horrible exception to the rule

Showing up "late" for the FP line doesn't really affect anything - in fact, it's not a lot different than showing up towards the end of the window anyways. The biggest effect is there are a few extra people in the FP line at that time...but just as likely people who's window opens at that time are just as likely to be using theirs late, etc. At the end of the day, there is a brief burst of last-minute FP users - but they can't be at all of the rides at once anyways.

It's all zero-sum, and in general it's actually a bit beneficial to the standby line...if you are REALLY bored (or having trouble sleeping):

Why using a late FASTPASS doesn't matter!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #29
Ramsfan28

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Actually, I think it mostly helps the people with excellent time management skills. We collect FP all morning and it makes our afternoons and evenings so much easier.
+1.

It does pay to get to the park at rope drop. The lines are usually much smaller than later that day and you can get those valuable FP's to use at your leisure.

Ramsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Just to a little bit...

Here's how someone using a 'late' FP MIGHT affect me...

Let's say "Joe" gets a FP w/return time of 1p-2p. I get in the standby line at 3p. Joe shows up at 3:30p with his FP and rides in front of me. The general consensus is Joe would have ridden in front of me anyway if he would have returned on time. Yup, got it. Agree.

BUT, if he DIDN'T show up 'on time', and wasn't allowed to use his expired FP, I just moved up 1 spot. A very basic example: 10 people in line (1-10). #4-7 are FP. I'm #10. 1-3 ride, 4-7 are no shows, and 8-10 ride. So I'm now #6 (improvement from #10). So while using a late FP doesn't "hurt" me, someone not being able to use a late FP HELPS me.

As far as "extenuating circumstances delaying you", short of a breakdown of the ride you have a FP for, I don't see anything that's NOT in the guests control. Attending a show that delayed you... poor scheduling on your part. Taking a long lunch... poor scheduling on your part.

Again, right off the bat, I'm just .
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastpass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: