Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #1096
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet too View Post
PrincessKsMom ~ I noticed that your daughter is considering majoring in Marine Sciences. This is what my son was going to do, so I wanted to suggest a few schools that we looked at.

University of Rhode Island ~ They have a great program, and it is a nice large school, that feels small. This was his #2 choice,

University of Tampa and Eckard College ~ both in the Tampa area, and appear to have great programs. We did not visit because his #1 came through,

Carroll University in Wisconsin ~ This is where my son is at. He choose to not do Marine Biology, and instead is doing Animal Behaviors. The Marine Biology program here is a great one. The students attend their first two years at Carroll, and the transfer to Hawaii Pacific for the last two years. We LOVE Carroll. It is a small school about 30 minutes away from Milwaukee. There is some partying, but just as many students don't get into the party scene as those who do. (My son is NOT into it at all)

I see that you are from NJ, so Carroll may prove to be too far for your daughter. If you have any questions about the school, let me know. My son will be happy to help out too, if she has specific student questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your offer of further information. I will definitely look into the schools you've mentioned and if I have any further questions or if my daughter is interested, I'll send you a PM. Thank you again!
Just one more marine science idea for you. My daughter goes to FGCU and while she is not majoring in marine science, I know it's a big reason a lot of people choose the school. www.fgcu.edu
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #1097
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa D View Post
Kutztown is a huge party school. The police look on Facebook to find parties there. My oldest wasn't a partier either but sure changed when he got to Temple. Younger one going to ESU...we will see how that all works out.
I went to my fair share of parties at ESU when I was home on breaks from MU. And while I was at MU, it was considered to be a huge party school too. (I went to parties every weekend- so no problems finding them there!) I think any of the state schools have the potential to be party schools. It's what you decide to do (go or not go) that makes all the difference. Hopefully my DS finds a good group of friends wherever he ends up. That is my prayer! That, and that he is safe and smart!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #1098
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
My dd was accepted into Roger Williams - dance major - but turned it down, despite an excellent financial package. Although we never visited it, she did fall in love with it online immediately, but Muhlenberg was her first choice and was accepted, so bye bye RW. In the end, her first choice is what she decided best for her, and with the package they offered it brought it down to the cost of Binghamton (her next choice), so Muhlenberg it is. I think she would have done well at RW and would have loved it, but we are very happy with her choice.
That's funny...Muhlenberg was one of the schools my dd almost applied to...for theatre. She decided she didn't want to be too far from home!!! Looks like both girls made the right choice for themselves...and that's what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Let me also say that if anyone's child or anyone they know is looking toward a degree in theatre, it is a vastly different process than regular college admissions. I thought I knew how to apply to colleges after my older D went through it. However, these theatre kids have a very different road. It is longer, more involved, and a lot more expensive! If anyone has specific questions, I'd be glad to answer. I'm not an "expert," but I do know a lot since we're going through this now.
Not sure what you mean. My dd applied to schools with theatre programs. She did decide to look at colleges/universities that had more to offer than 'just' theatre though. She applied to Emerson..which has an audition. We wanted her at a more liberal arts school. And we didn't want her in NYC...way too many distractions there..so NYU was out. As well as a few others in the city. Not sure why looking toward a degree in theatre is vastly different or more expensive. We didn't find any differences...other than the audition process. Just curious what your dd's experience was.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1099
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

[QUOTE=goofy4tink;47476282]That's funny...Muhlenberg was one of the schools my dd almost applied to...for theatre. She decided she didn't want to be too far from home!!! Looks like both girls made the right choice for themselves...and that's what matters.

Yep - good luck with your daughter By the way, Muhlenberg was closer to us lolol.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #1100
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

[QUOTE=LOVETHATMOUSE;47476390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
That's funny...Muhlenberg was one of the schools my dd almost applied to...for theatre. She decided she didn't want to be too far from home!!! Looks like both girls made the right choice for themselves...and that's what matters.

Yep - good luck with your daughter By the way, Muhlenberg was closer to us lolol.
And there ya go!!! Good luck to yours as well. Dance is tough!!! Dd danced for about 12 years, but it sure isn't her strong suit. Calls herself a dancing drunken baby giraffe!! Poor kid.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1101
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

My son is doing theatre at a major liberal arts university. He's a good student, who plans to double major. Theatre is very important to him, but it may end up being a hobby instead of a career. His school has very strong student theatre groups outside the department, which was a wonderful and welcome surprise. He thought he was sacrificing some theatre opportunities to go to a school known for academics and that has not been the case.

The marine science student might want to look at UNC-Wilmington.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #1102
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

So many suggestions for marine bio/science. I just wish she had some idea.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #1103
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

My daughter will be a technical theatre major. She is only interested in a BFA program and prefers a conservatory approach. My older daughter was all academic and applied to only in state schools, mostly private. She applied, attended scholarship weekends, and we were done. With this one, we've applied to 15 schools, both academically and theatrically. She has had or will have interviews/portfolio reviews at virtually every school. That is a LOT of travel and extra expense that isn't generally seen in majors outside of theatre. Additionally, in most cases, you have academic acceptances then have to wait for artistic acceptances. Coupled with all of that is tiny, tiny numbers of students that are admitted to these programs compared to those that apply. For us, it is vastly different from a "regular" (meaning other than the arts) college application process. Then, there's the whole Unified/Consortium process. It is mind boggling. In our state, we have no really good choices for BFA theatre. (Yes, maybe a safety or two, but not the stellar programs.)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #1104
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom
So many suggestions for marine bio/science. I just wish she had some idea.
Any suggestions for animal science/zoology? My dd15 is pretty set on the major. She's a good student in a highly competitive district. So far her first choice is the AA degree at Moorpark, since the San Diego Zoo hires a lot from there. We know of 4 year programs at Michigan State (I can't afford 4 years there) and Friends in Kansas.

Anyone have any good information?
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #1105
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
My daughter will be a technical theatre major. She is only interested in a BFA program and prefers a conservatory approach. My older daughter was all academic and applied to only in state schools, mostly private. She applied, attended scholarship weekends, and we were done. With this one, we've applied to 15 schools, both academically and theatrically. She has had or will have interviews/portfolio reviews at virtually every school. That is a LOT of travel and extra expense that isn't generally seen in majors outside of theatre. Additionally, in most cases, you have academic acceptances then have to wait for artistic acceptances. Coupled with all of that is tiny, tiny numbers of students that are admitted to these programs compared to those that apply. For us, it is vastly different from a "regular" (meaning other than the arts) college application process. Then, there's the whole Unified/Consortium process. It is mind boggling. In our state, we have no really good choices for BFA theatre. (Yes, maybe a safety or two, but not the stellar programs.)
We have friends who's kids are doing BFA's. It is tougher. But, maybe it is the difference between performance and technical that makes it worse. I know the kids going for a BFA in performance had to audition (extensively), but not much else.
I know many people that are doing extensive travel for their collegiate searches. They travel great distances, and if they like the school, go back several times. I suppose we are lucky, in our area, that there are many choices for theatrical BFAs...in various fields. We decided against it, for performance anyway. Wanted a more well rounded education. And that is why we didn't choose a conservatory type school. And we have some good ones here. BoCo is well known!! But, it wasn't for my dd. She knows that percentage of grads that make it onstage, and then continue to make a living doing it. She knows she will need to have something else to fall back on...just in case. But then again..she thinks working for Disney in some capacity would be wonderful. At 5'10'', she realizes that she isn't going to be the next big broadway star!!! At least not as a leading lady. So, she gets a BA in theatre with a minor in something else..or a possible double major.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1106
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
Any suggestions for animal science/zoology? My dd15 is pretty set on the major. She's a good student in a highly competitive district. So far her first choice is the AA degree at Moorpark, since the San Diego Zoo hires a lot from there. We know of 4 year programs at Michigan State (I can't afford 4 years there) and Friends in Kansas.

One thing my son has learned while being a part of a youth volunteer program at the Brookfield Zoo, is that a strong Biology major is a great start. It is not necessary to major in a more focused degree.

Is she wanting to be a keeper? Like I stated earlier, my son is majoring in Animal Behaviors, and he wants to be a keeper.

A suggestion for your daughter, get as much experience with animals as she can. Volunteer at a animal shelter or check to see if your local zoo has a volunteer program. In my sons case, he will get a preferential look at his application for any job at Brookfield because of his time in YVC, plus, there are jobs that you can't even get unless you have been in YVC.

ETA ~ Found this for the National Zoo, not sure if it would work for her http://nationalzoo.si.edu/support/volunteer/Teens/ and not sure how close you are to Norfolk, but there is this too http://www.virginiazoo.org/the-zoo-a.../volunteer.asp

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.

Last edited by piglet too; 02-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1107
Anne34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post

Iowa state has zoology and animal science majors. They are a really good school thats not too expensive. I have a sophomore daughter here and she really loves the school. They are known for the sciences (vet program, engineering, etc)
Anne34 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: