Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #91
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejr_8 View Post
Remember, this is the school your daughter will be attending. Make sure you don't "influence" her decision because of your impressions about the school.
Not a problem. We both went in expecting to like this school . . . and we both left with a mildly negative impression of it.

We're 100% in sync when it comes to college choices for her. We have the same "favorite" right now, though I think she's more in love, whereas I'm encouraging her to keep her eyes open 'til we've finished our college visits.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #92
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Not a problem. We both went in expecting to like this school . . . and we both left with a mildly negative impression of it.

We're 100% in sync when it comes to college choices for her. We have the same "favorite" right now, though I think she's more in love, whereas I'm encouraging her to keep her eyes open 'til we've finished our college visits.
Just curious, Mrs. Pete - what didn't you like about Carolina? What schools are on your list?
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #93
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they're particularly known for their Halloween bash. They also have the highest percentage of STD among all the UNC system. It's not a bad school, but it does attract its share of students who come for reasons other than academics.
I have to ask, where did you read that statistic? And even if you read it somewhere, why would you believe it? I can't imagine how a school can keep accurate statistics on that...sounds like something people say about the school to express a negative opinion about it.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #94
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I'm curious as to what criteria you're using to help pick the right college for your kids?

Location?

Tuition?

Size?

Reputation?

Major?

How difficult or how easy it is to get into?

Everyone's criteria is so different so the "right" college is quite personal.
My daughter did her picks based on her major. That limited her choices. While cost is important it was lower on the list. Location came second. Reputation is third. Size was not factored at all and neither was how easy or hard.

My middle daughter tried 2 schools before she settled into Ohio State..she also changed her major twice. So now she is taking summer courses to graduate on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Wow, HOW I left out cost I'll never know! I added "tuition".

Can I ask why you don't want him to have a car at college? Mine will probably NEED one.
Some of the schools we looked at don't let freshman have cars. Syracuse was one of them.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #95
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Drexel was ds number one pick until we spoke with parents of students there- and learned tuition is way higher than you would imagine- They do offer the 5 year masters program and offer some great internships- but for that price- it's off the list. When all was said and done(room and board and tuition- ) one person ended up paying $60,000!

Purdue is one we are going to check out. Computer sciences-he likes the specialized fields they offer. But we are from NJ and I think it's going to be a bit too small town feel for him. That's why we want to check it out.

We went to visit Salem U in MA and that was a bust.
Don't give up on Drexel. I will say that Drexel's scholarship offer is the best that DD has gotten so far...we're still waiting on two more schools, but if DD does decide to go to Drexel a year's tuition there will cost less than at the local community college.

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
agnes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #96
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
Just curious, Mrs. Pete - what didn't you like about Carolina? What schools are on your list?
Originally she said she wanted a big school -- and I see her fitting into a big school -- but Carolina was bigger than we expected. It felt cold and impersonal. We didn't like that it was so spread out and that so many major roads run through it; there's no definition between the college and the town. We've learned that she wants a "college town" feel, and Carolina doesn't have it. We didn't like the nursing department as much as some of the other schools we'd visited -- more of a feeling than anything in particular we could point out, but we both agreed that they just weren't as friendly. And although she feels certain that she'd be admitted to the university, only 50 people will be admitted to the nursing program as Juniors -- she's not sure that she'd be one of the top 50. Finally, there's money. She stands a good chance of being awarded some good scholarship money at some of the other schools that interest her; she's not going to get a scholarship at UNC.

She's most interested in Appalachian, UNC-Wilmington, and UNC-Charlotte. We're also planning to visit Clemson and USC, though out of state isn't all that likely. A few others are "possibilities" that we discuss occasionally, but these are the frontrunners.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #97
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
I have to ask, where did you read that statistic? And even if you read it somewhere, why would you believe it? I can't imagine how a school can keep accurate statistics on that...sounds like something people say about the school to express a negative opinion about it.
My student teacher read it to me from an article in her college newspaper. The article compared the party-quality ratings of the 16 UNC schools.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #98
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Some of the schools we looked at don't let freshman have cars. Syracuse was one of them.
The schools my daughter has visited all ALLOW freshmen to have cars . . . but some DISCOURAGE it in more subtle ways (like the two-mile away parking lot).
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #99
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
The schools my daughter has visited all ALLOW freshmen to have cars . . . but some DISCOURAGE it in more subtle ways (like the two-mile away parking lot).
She is lucky! I did notice the bigger schools seem to have no issues...Syracuse is right in the middle of the city, not a lot of room for parking so no freshman cars. The only school right now that I could see NOT having a car at would be University of Vermont...and that is just due to the distance from home.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #100
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My student teacher read it to me from an article in her college newspaper. The article compared the party-quality ratings of the 16 UNC schools.
Oh, that makes sense, a college newspaper piece ranking campuses for partying. I thought it was a statistic that was actually researched and published somewhere. I couldn't believe a college would publicize that.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #101
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Don't give up on Drexel. I will say that Drexel's scholarship offer is the best that DD has gotten so far...we're still waiting on two more schools, but if DD does decide to go to Drexel a year's tuition there will cost less than at the local community college.

agnes!
I recall (from a few years ago) that Drexel has a co-op component, which sounds like it would be valuable to the students. Also I think they are on the quarters system rather than the semester system if I recall correctly. Also, aren't some of the programs five years? I have seen the campus when I've gone to Philly-we weren't visiting Drexel but we drove through it. It is a real urban campus.

We will be on the college search for child #3 in a few years, so I'm trying to ease back into it
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #102
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Originally she said she wanted a big school -- and I see her fitting into a big school -- but Carolina was bigger than we expected. It felt cold and impersonal. We didn't like that it was so spread out and that so many major roads run through it; there's no definition between the college and the town. We've learned that she wants a "college town" feel, and Carolina doesn't have it. We didn't like the nursing department as much as some of the other schools we'd visited -- more of a feeling than anything in particular we could point out, but we both agreed that they just weren't as friendly. And although she feels certain that she'd be admitted to the university, only 50 people will be admitted to the nursing program as Juniors -- she's not sure that she'd be one of the top 50. Finally, there's money. She stands a good chance of being awarded some good scholarship money at some of the other schools that interest her; she's not going to get a scholarship at UNC.

She's most interested in Appalachian, UNC-Wilmington, and UNC-Charlotte. We're also planning to visit Clemson and USC, though out of state isn't all that likely. A few others are "possibilities" that we discuss occasionally, but these are the frontrunners.
That's interesting about your impression of Chapel Hill - it's the most "college-y town" I know of!

DD17 isn't interested in App, but several of DD22's friends went there and loved it. They were in the Honors College Program.

She does like Wilmington and UNC- Asheville - she wants to study marine biology or environmental studies, so we'll see where she ends up!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #103
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
One example, the twins got information from Champlain College in Vermont. Never heard of it. Does anyone have information on this school? We have pretty much ruled it out for DD because they don't have a golf program but the campus looks really nice
You want a golf program - Stanford. Tiger went there before he turned pro. They have a fabulous golf course on campus.

Good luck getting in though. If they only accepted those with perfect SATs and grades they could admit three times the freshman class. It gets way, way more competitive for business and law school. My weird avatar is the Stanford logo. It's a fabulous experience.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #104
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

MrsPete -- If you're 100% sure your daughter would get into Carolina (not sure any of us really can be), then she should easily qualify for in-state tuition at either of the South Carolina schools you mentioned. I'm not sure what criteria they are using now, but it used to be a GPA, SAT, class rank requirement. Clemson was our surprise school and is well worth looking at. USC is bigger than UNC-Chapel Hill, though, and in a city.

The college town thing is funny. Like DVCLiz, I think of Chapel Hill as the definition of a college town although it's changed a bit the past few years. Charlotte and Wilmington are most definitely not college towns. It's amazing to me, as someone who grew up in the area, to see how much of a real college town Boone has become. I have two nephews at Appalachian and they really like it, and I was suitably impressed when we toured with our middle son.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #105
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
MrsPete -- If you're 100% sure your daughter would get into Carolina (not sure any of us really can be), then she should easily qualify for in-state tuition at either of the South Carolina schools you mentioned. I'm not sure what criteria they are using now, but it used to be a GPA, SAT, class rank requirement. Clemson was our surprise school and is well worth looking at. USC is bigger than UNC-Chapel Hill, though, and in a city.

The college town thing is funny. Like DVCLiz, I think of Chapel Hill as the definition of a college town although it's changed a bit the past few years. Charlotte and Wilmington are most definitely not college towns. It's amazing to me, as someone who grew up in the area, to see how much of a real college town Boone has become. I have two nephews at Appalachian and they really like it, and I was suitably impressed when we toured with our middle son.
I know how difficult it is to get into Carolina, but she's top 10% with all honors classes, has outstanding leadership experience in several serious school organizations and community groups (and Carolina puts a big premium on school leadership positions). She's also been very focused on medical careers since her freshman year and will have taken four classes and earned a CNA license before college. She can fill out an EXCELLENT application. I see who gets in year after year, and she genuinely is in the type of student who gets into Carolina. The day we visited, she said she'd apply just to be able to say that she'd turned them down -- but within a few days it'd turned into, "Why should I bother? I don't see myself there." We both came away with a mildly negative opinion of the place, and I'm glad that the two of us felt exactly the same way. We both started the day with enthusiasm, which seemed to wane on exactly matching schedules as the tour progressed. A couple of her friends are interested in Carolina, and I would never say anything to discourage them; I just don't see it as right for my daughter.

Yes, we know about the reciprocal in-state tuition qualifications, but she's almost certainly going to get the NC nurse scholarship/loan (which is "repaid" by working in an NC hospital after graduation -- I had a similar teacher scholarship/loan, and it was a great thing), which is only good in NC and has no SC counterpart. That alone will essentially pay tuition, so she'd have to get the in-state tuition AND a scholarship equal to that. We're going to visit USC and Clemson during spring break. We've never been to either one, so we'll see how it goes.

I know that Charlotte and Wilmington are not "college towns" -- but they are good matches for her academically, and IF she were to get a scholarship, they'd vault up to the #1 position. But Boone is what she really wants (at this point -- we're far from done).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: