Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1006
ZuZugal
DIS Veteran
There are many reasons to come to the dark side....

Can anyone give me info on University of Tulsa? My DS looking at studying engineering. Wondering about scholarships too. We have read website but any personal info would be great too...

Ten oughta do it, don't you think?
You think we need one more?
You think we need one more.
All right, we'll get one more.

This is our daughter Dottie...and this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister.
ZuZugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #1007
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Hi Everyone, I subscribed to this thread a long time ago but haven't really been following it too much until now. I'm going to throw out a few~

DS16 (just a few more days until 17) is a junior and looking for medium sized colleges, either public or private but that have an ROTC program. Not sure which branch of the military. ROTC is probably a whole other thread topic that I need to research!

Any thoughts on these schools at all?

Kent State (Ohio)
Ohio State (ok, don't laugh, I live in Ohio, but I'm not from Ohio...want other's experiences and thoughts)
North Carolina State
St. Joseph's University (Philadelphia)
Catholic University of America

any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #1008
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

I wouldn't call Ohio State medium!
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #1009
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I wouldn't call Ohio State medium!
True ...and likewise for NC State~
It's just that OSU is in our backyard and we don't want to overlook it's potential.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #1010
j's m
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Hi Everyone, I subscribed to this thread a long time ago but haven't really been following it too much until now. I'm going to throw out a few~

DS16 (just a few more days until 17) is a junior and looking for medium sized colleges, either public or private but that have an ROTC program. Not sure which branch of the military. ROTC is probably a whole other thread topic that I need to research!

Any thoughts on these schools at all?

Kent State (Ohio)
Ohio State (ok, don't laugh, I live in Ohio, but I'm not from Ohio...want other's experiences and thoughts)
North Carolina State
St. Joseph's University (Philadelphia)
Catholic University of America

any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!
My DS has applied and been accepted to St Joe's and their honors program. We visited once and depending how much merit aid they contribute, he may attend there. They are building a brand new freshman dorm which should be open in September. He hasn't heard from 4 out of the 8 he applied to, so it's still up in the air.

I don't know about their ROTC program. The school seems just the right size, not too small and not a gigantic university either. Their business program is excellent, which is what he is interested in.
j's m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #1011
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Oh BC graduate here! (25 years ago!!) LOVED it. Still love it. Great school. Perfect location. Professors that were available all the time. Truly a wonderful college experience. Senior Week is something I'll never forget! (even 25 years later)
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #1012
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD got into her 4 of 5 applied schools but not her top, super reach, extra pricey school so I think it was a blessing. Funny, she got great scholarship offers & honors program apps from the OOS schools but the in-state rejected her for honors. They did select her for a leadership group but she's miffed she didn't get into honors at the place where she will probably go.

I'm excited because she will be close to home and I'm getting over the fact that we can't move back East after all.

Just got our taxes finished & FAFSA filed today. Sending in her deposit this week so she can put in for her housing choices. Exciting time!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #1013
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
For those that have visited Muhlenberg, would love to hear more.
My dd and I did the college rounds on Easter Break, and just as I suspected she LOVED Muhlenberg - so much so she would really apply ED. The campus is beautiful but small (but that's what she wants). She's a dancer and the Theater building/auditoriums/studios are great. She is really not into the greek life, but there are a few frats and sororities if the students want to participate in that. Our tour guide was amazing and didn't really try to hard sell the school, since it kind of did that on its own. Everyone we encountered was nice and my dd liked the "look" of the kids there as well. The freshman dorms are typical but all together in their own quad. The only thing I didn't care for was that they charge to use the washing/dryer machines. For the price of the university, you would think they would be free - in fact, every other college we visited they were free. The classrooms are nice and small - all looked state of the art to me. The bookstore is big and well stocked, the new dining hall was amazing -and smelled amazing as well. The sports complex - beautiful. And most importantly to my dd - 2 starbucks on campus lol. I would go there in a heartbeat myself too. It definitely is her #1 choice to date.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1014
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
My dd and I did the college rounds on Easter Break, and just as I suspected she LOVED Muhlenberg - so much so she would really apply ED. The campus is beautiful but small (but that's what she wants). She's a dancer and the Theater building/auditoriums/studios are great. She is really not into the greek life, but there are a few frats and sororities if the students want to participate in that. Our tour guide was amazing and didn't really try to hard sell the school, since it kind of did that on its own. Everyone we encountered was nice and my dd liked the "look" of the kids there as well. The freshman dorms are typical but all together in their own quad. The only thing I didn't care for was that they charge to use the washing/dryer machines. For the price of the university, you would think they would be free - in fact, every other college we visited they were free. The classrooms are nice and small - all looked state of the art to me. The bookstore is big and well stocked, the new dining hall was amazing -and smelled amazing as well. The sports complex - beautiful. And most importantly to my dd - 2 starbucks on campus lol. I would go there in a heartbeat myself too. It definitely is her #1 choice to date.
I've never heard of the washer/dryers being free. DD just finished her freshman year of college and they charge at her University and every other we've looked at.
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #1015
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

When we went to visit SUNY Binghamton and Ithaca college the tour guide said they were free. In fact at Binghamton they even had a camera and website that you signed up with and when your wash or dryer was done it would text you. Also it would text you when a unit was ready. How cool is that !
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #1016
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

Quote:
When we went to visit SUNY Binghamton and Ithaca college the tour guide said they were free. In fact at Binghamton they even had a camera and website that you signed up with and when your wash or dryer was done it would text you. Also it would text you when a unit was ready. How cool is that !
My daughter goes to a SUNY and they tell you that the laundry, cable, internet etc. are free, but they are all line items on the bill each semester. So while my daughter doesn't need to put quarters in the machines. we do pay $60.00 a semester for laundry.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #1017
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

wow, this is an olde thread that got dredged up, but I'm thankful for it!

Who knows anything about University of North Dakota? That's where I've finally decided to go, but I'm pretty nervous! I was never able to visit it, or any of the schools I applied to, so I really hope it's a good fit for me.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1018
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

NC State is the largest university in North Carolina. It's our traditional engineering and agricultural school (original name NC A & M). The engineering school has as many students as a lot of colleges, but other programs, such as education, only have a few hundred. You probably already know that out-of-state students face tough admission standards for NC public universities. At State, it is easier to get into the university than in the school of engineering.

My oldest son went to State. I think he got a good education in his field. I personally am a fan of a liberal arts education AND professional training and he didn't get much of the former. My understanding is that State has made requirements a little broader since he graduated. My DS, for example, placed out of freshman English based on his SAT score, of all things, and could have graduated with his only other English class being "English for Engineers."

One thing to consider: When we went to the accepted students program, they told us not many engineering students graduate in four years. We expected our child to be an exception to that, but he wasn't.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #1019
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post
My daughter goes to a SUNY and they tell you that the laundry, cable, internet etc. are free, but they are all line items on the bill each semester. So while my daughter doesn't need to put quarters in the machines. we do pay $60.00 a semester for laundry.
I agree that you pay for it one way or another.

My kids ended up chose the only school that we looked at where there was a charge for washers and dryers. I haven't kept track to see whether they have spent more than $60.00/semester. My daughter is at SUNY-ESF. Not only can she pay for the washers/dryers with a credit/debit card, but she can monitor the progress via website and receive a text when they are done. Technology is wonderful sometimes! Since she almost always uses her credit card for laundry, I can go back and see how much it's cost her for the year. In fact, knowing my husband, that's already in a spread sheet somewhere. I should check and see how much she's spent on laundry.

I was discussing this with a friend, and she said that her daughter discovered at SUNY-Buffalo that people would use the washers/dryers for an item or two, since it didn't cost them for each load, and it was, therefore, more difficult to get an available washer when needed.

So, either way, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the washers and dryers are free.

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #1020
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Very interesting. The only one of those schools that I got anything from is Miami.

What does anyone know about Guilford College in North Carolina? Not that I can really go there because its so far away from home but I have gotten A LOT of letters from them and am curious.
I live near Guilford. It is a very liberal school. Lots of patchouli. It is supposed to be a good school, but honestly, there are so many other amazing schools in NC, Guilford would not be my first choice. Depending on the major I was looking for there are far too many other options. I mean, ASU, UNC, NCSU, WSSU, UNCG, Duke, Wake Forest, etc etc etc etc.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: