Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #976
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
She got accepted! Yay!!

Now to wait and see what about the financial part! To quote her, "Best day of my life!"
Isn't it just wonderful when a child is so happy? Congratulations!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #977
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
We looooooved Dollywood, one of my best memories thanks to you and your wonderful husband. Prayers that you two can do whatever it takes to fulfill your baby's dream, she sounds like such a great girl.

Mike is STILL wanting to go to SCAD, WAY out of my realm of reality. We're sticking to the Georgia University schools for his core courses, then he can go to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) for this jr and sr years. I work with many grads of SCAD and they all suggested that route. It's sure save me a fortune!
Thanks, Robin! I hope Mike gets to go to SCAD along the way too. My sister's DD did not get to go to her college of choice because of $$ but she is loving the college she is attending so I know it can work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Isn't it just wonderful when a child is so happy? Congratulations!!!!
Thanks and yes, it is really much better than being happy myself.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #978
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

I think Buckalew11 is the first one to announce an acceptance for the year! Many congratulations.

Common App dramas here. But hopefully acceptances before Christmas. More visits in the next few weeks.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #979
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet too View Post
Do we have a list of schools discussed? That might help so we don't have to read through all of this and just go to the page we want. Anyway, 4 "new" schools that we are looking for info on.

Northern Michigan University
University of Wisconsin Stevens Point
UW LaCrosse
UW Superior

Does anyone know anything about these schools?
I don't know much but we did visit UW-LaCrosse in July. It's a pretty area, near the river. The city seemed ok, fairly easy to get around. The campus is locked on all sides by neighborhoods or existing bldgs so they said they tear down & rebuild instead. Many students live off campus after the first year or two & the surrounding houses/apts looked in good shape. Older neighborhood, lots of mature trees. We did not eat on campus but took the tour & it was an easy walk. DD was not as impressed as some others but they do have a good program for what she wants to study.

What factors put it on the list for your child?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #980
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
She got accepted! Yay!!

Now to wait and see what about the financial part! To quote her, "Best day of my life!"
Congrats to you both!!! What fantastic news!! I hope that the financial part works out in your favor. That will be a deciding factor for DD too.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #981
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Anyone have any info on Southern Methodist? DD added that to her list & I know nothing about it. A girl she knows slightly goes there but that's it. I want her to go East & she is not cooperating!

We are going to a Wash U (STL) seminar next weekend then she is going to a meeting w/them at her HS the next week. DH is taking her there at the end of Oct so I don't think she can show much more interest, other than camping out on their lawn! I am so nervous because this is her first choice but definitely an unknown if she can get in plus get the aid needed to attend!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #982
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
Golfgal - are you an actuary? Just curious...this whole business about getting a specific acuarial degree, vs a math degree just has me confused. As far as DD being in an apartment after her freshman year - as long as her grades are "appropriate" I wouldn't have an issue with that.
Thanks!
clh2
We just visited UW-Eau Claire, DS16 loved it. They have a nice actuary program. He is also interested in the marching band at 300 members strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia M View Post
Hi Everyone,
My dd is a junior in HS, and we have alreday started the college search. Oldest ds is a sophomore in college. He attends Cal State University, Channel Islands.

DD has a very specific agenda: she wants to be atwirler in a college marching band. Schools she is or may be interested in include: University of Georgia, Marshall University, University of Dayton, Auburn, University of Washington, Washington State and Fresno State. Maybe Purdue. She could apply to Holy Cross College in South bend-they offer a scholarship to kids graduating from Holy Cross Schools, but I don't think she'd want to go where she can't twirl!

She needs financial aid to go out of state. Her tuition has to run us 15K a year or less.

DD is an okay student-definitely not top tier. She'll maybe have a 3.75 GPA. I'm guessing (based on her sophomore year PSAT's) she'll have a SAT at about 1300. She attends a very academic Catholic HS.....she'll have 4 years of lab science, 5 or 6 years of English, 4 years of a language. She doesn't have alot of outsude activities, because baton takes up a huge amount of time and she has team practice, competitions, tumbling, dance, coachingetc 11 months a year, about 15+ hours per week. She does do volunteer work and is on the Parish Council at our church as the youth representative and does spirit commision at school. That's about it.

Any comments on these schools? Thoughts on dd's chances? Other schools to suggest?

This year we are concentrating on visiting schools and making her performance DVD to send to schools next fall.

Thanks
Julia
I would add UW-Eau Claire to her her list if she wants to be in a fairly strong school with a GREAT marching band. They have 2 twirlers now that are just amazing. The band is a blast. We have several kids from our high school in the band that they just love it. The school itself is pretty strong, not Ivy level or Holy Cross level but still a very solid state school. Campus size would be similar to Notre Dame. Overall costs are very low-they are part of the Midwest School Exchange so costs are almost the same as an instate school for you.

DD has expanded her list now and Holy Cross is now on her list. Since you live there, what can you tell me about it. Academically we know it is strong. She wants to golf and would easily make the team there (they are not a very competitive program which is great since she won't live, eat, breath golf in college then). She wants a smaller campus NOT in a big city, more suburban or rural. We have been to Notre Dame--wish she would have looked at Holy Cross when were were there . Are they similar campuses/size/settings?

Other new additions (or reconsideration after some recommendations here) would be Bradley in IL, Butler in IN, Valparaiso in IN and maybe University of Northern Iowa-this one doesn't look like a very strong school but maybe it's ok??

Looking for a strong science program with a good pre-med prep and acceptance rates into med school. She has a 3.8 GPA, haven't taken tests yet really but expecting around a 30 ACT based on PLAN test scores. PSAT last year was high 190's so however that translates to SAT.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #983
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Looking for a strong science program with a good pre-med prep and acceptance rates into med school. She has a 3.8 GPA, haven't taken tests yet really but expecting around a 30 ACT based on PLAN test scores. PSAT last year was high 190's so however that translates to SAT.
In the past, you'd just add a 0 to the end of the PSAT score to get an idea of the SAT score. Not sure how it goes with the 3 score sections instead of 2. A 190 would be in the 1900's.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #984
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
In the past, you'd just add a 0 to the end of the PSAT score to get an idea of the SAT score. Not sure how it goes with the 3 score sections instead of 2. A 190 would be in the 1900's.
Ok, thanks.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #985
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Congratulations Buckalew11! How wonderful!
My dd (along with my dh and I) are anxiously awaiting to hear from Muhlenberg, where my dd wants to major in bio and become an othodontist.
She visited 3 times and applied ED about the second week of October so, hopefully, we will hear something this month!
Good luck to all!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #986
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
The PSAT has the three sections represented - works the same way. The only thing it doesn't have at all is the essay, which counts for 25% of the writing section grade, but the grammar multiple choice section is included. Hence, the 'add a 0 and it's supposed to be similar' thing still applies - the total is just out of 240/2400 now.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #987
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Thanks y'all.

And good luck to everyone waiting for replies and sending in applications!

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #988
jama
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know anything about Montreat College in Black Mountain, NC.? It is on my daughter's list of schools she is interested in...
jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #989
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Montreat College is a conservative Christian school located in one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's much more conservative than many Presbyterian colleges, such as nearby Warren Wilson. That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on your daughter's perspective.

Last edited by tar heel; 11-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #990
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

As I shared on the "Class of 2012" thread, my DS received a phone call from Carroll University last Friday telling him he has been accepted. His admissions rep also confirmed his merit scholarship. He is pretty excited, as this is his #1 school and does not plan to apply anywhere else.

We were pretty surprised that she called him to give him the news, always thought it was just done by letter.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: