Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #76
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinct View Post
I am not certain what acoustic engineering is, but my older daughter went to univ. of Miami, and I remember her telling me their music dept. was very good, and I know there was some sort of sound engineering major. Beautiful campus, great beaches. Expensive, though. Many people think it is a state school, but it is actually private.
Acoustic engineering is probably the sound engineering program you mentioned -- Univ of Miami was one of the other schools we found with this major when we were looking. (acoustic engineering is like designing concert halls for the best acoustics, amplification systems for voice or instrument, etc).

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #77
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

I checked Davidson's website since it looks like we are going to be in the general area for Spring Break-the have NO WOMAN'S GOLF . How can a college in the Carolinas not have woman's golf They must use the same website developer that my college uses because they look exactly alike . If we have bad weather one day we may swing through there anyway. I can see DS15 going there.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #78
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Drexel was ds number one pick until we spoke with parents of students there- and learned tuition is way higher than you would imagine- They do offer the 5 year masters program and offer some great internships- but for that price- it's off the list. When all was said and done(room and board and tuition- ) one person ended up paying $60,000!

Purdue is one we are going to check out. Computer sciences-he likes the specialized fields they offer. But we are from NJ and I think it's going to be a bit too small town feel for him. That's why we want to check it out.

We went to visit Salem U in MA and that was a bust.

Last edited by java; 02-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #79
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Wow, HOW I left out cost I'll never know! I added "tuition".

Can I ask why you don't want him to have a car at college? Mine will probably NEED one.
I would stress to much being a state away about it breaking down, drinking and driving and accidents in general. Not to meniton I want im studying and experiencing school and not on the road doing lord knows what else. Parking is also about 700 a semester at ASU. There are alot of free busses and ligt rail/bus combo to the airport. We will drive him out there and get him settled in though.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #80
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

I started another thread but I'll add to this one as well. The college DD17 is interested in is Eckerd in St. Petersburg. Any thoughts?

A great small liberal arts college in SC is Wofford. DD22 graduated last year and works as an admissions counselor there. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

As far as cars are concerned, here are my thoughts. I wanted DD to be as independent as possible. Parking at her college was convenient and inexpensive. I didn't want to have to make a 6 hour round trip each time she came home. I wanted her to learn how to make good decisions and handle car repairs on her own.

She's done a great job all four years and now is out on her own.

NOT that I think this about any DIS parent, but I do see in some of my friends a tendency to treat college freshmen as 13th graders. That's not what I wanted so I went pretty far in the other direction.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #81
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Anyone know about York College in PA or College of St. Rose in Albany?
We're also on a budget so the SUNY schools may be the way to go if my DD doesn't receive enough merit awards.

My older DD goes to SUNY Cortland and loves it. Seems to be pretty good.
Well Muffycat you know I'm a huge fan of SUNY. I know a few kids that go to Saint Rose, including my next door neighbor. I think it is a good school. They seem to give a lot of scholarship money to the kids with high class rankings from our High School.

When I went to law school, I lived in the St. Rose neighborhood. Great place to live. Tons to do and you are in a city that has a small town feel to it!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #82
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I'm curious as to what criteria you're using to help pick the right college for your kids?
Location?
Tuition?
Size?
Reputation?
Major?
How difficult or how easy it is to get into?

Everyone's criteria is so different so the "right" college is quite personal.
DS has a number of things that are currently important to him. The ones that meet more of his criteria made it on his list. Among the things he's considering are: location, size, academic reputation, athletics (both to follow and to play club sports), offering his course of study, whether the school would look good when applying for post-grad, whether he could get in, percentage of students accepted/wait-listed/enrolling. He is crossing off schools labelled party schools or very religious.

We gave him 2 books with college info and I was happily surprised at how quickly he looked it over and how much we have already discussed different schools. Now we just need to figure out where to visit first.

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #83
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Eckerd. My friend's son was very wild in High School and had rather mediocre grades. However he was a bright boy. He went to Eckerd and really turned himself around there. They were very supportive and, of course, the campus is on the water.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #84
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Anybody familiar with Florida Gulf Coast University(FGCU)?
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #85
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post
Well Muffycat you know I'm a huge fan of SUNY. I know a few kids that go to Saint Rose, including my next door neighbor. I think it is a good school. They seem to give a lot of scholarship money to the kids with high class rankings from our High School.

When I went to law school, I lived in the St. Rose neighborhood. Great place to live. Tons to do and you are in a city that has a small town feel to it!
I follow on being a SUNY fan that's why New Paltz was the first college she visited and she really liked it.. She wants to see a few colleges. I told her St Rose has to come down to a SUNY price if she wants to go there.
I was wondering if it was too small. She's visited her sister at Cortland.
Between that and New Paltz she thought the size was just right.

The SUNYS have so many different schools it's nice to that there is a school that fits most kids.

Last edited by MUFFYCAT; 02-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
MUFFYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #86
DVCLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I checked Davidson's website since it looks like we are going to be in the general area for Spring Break-the have NO WOMAN'S GOLF . How can a college in the Carolinas not have woman's golf They must use the same website developer that my college uses because they look exactly alike . If we have bad weather one day we may swing through there anyway. I can see DS15 going there.
Golf gal, take a look at Wake Forest, too. Excellent school, great golf program.

Davidson is a fabulous school, and what I especially like about it is the way I see their graduates succeed later in life. DD17 sits for several families and they are my favorites,too - well employed, community leaders, great young parents, etc. Wish "we" had had the grades to be competitive there!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #87
NCRedding
I've strayed
Found DH's pause button. Looking for fast forward
Prep H works

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
I started another thread but I'll add to this one as well. The college DD17 is interested in is Eckerd in St. Petersburg. Any thoughts?

A great small liberal arts college in SC is Wofford. DD22 graduated last year and works as an admissions counselor there. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

As far as cars are concerned, here are my thoughts. I wanted DD to be as independent as possible. Parking at her college was convenient and inexpensive. I didn't want to have to make a 6 hour round trip each time she came home. I wanted her to learn how to make good decisions and handle car repairs on her own.

She's done a great job all four years and now is out on her own.

NOT that I think this about any DIS parent, but I do see in some of my friends a tendency to treat college freshmen as 13th graders. That's not what I wanted so I went pretty far in the other direction.
My DD attends Wofford as a freshman and LOVES it. It is an excellent fit for my DD. DVCLiz deduced through some of my posts that DD was going there, and has led me through and encouraged me through PMs this year.

DD also has a car on campus and has ventured to Atlanta and other places. She grows more independent each day.

Golfgal: DH has often talked about Davidson's need to add women's golf.
NCRedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #88
DVCLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRedding View Post
My DD attends Wofford as a freshman and LOVES it. It is an excellent fit for my DD. DVCLiz deduced through some of my posts that DD was going there, and has led me through and encouraged me through PMs this year.

DD also has a car on campus and has ventured to Atlanta and other places. She grows more independent each day.

Golfgal: DH has often talked about Davidson's need to add women's golf.
Go Terriers!!!! So glad she is happy there - I wish DD17 wanted to go there but I think she might venture further afield. We will see....
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #89
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Yeah, Davidson's grads are bonded to each other for life. That's not just your class, but anyone who ever went there. We live 20 minutes from Davidson, and when we moved here one of my FIL's classmates brought us a welcome gift, a younger Davidson grad did our house closing, etc. If you look at the backgrounds in a medical or law practice and the senior person is a Davidson grad, you'll find a bunch of others, too. We know a lot of Davidson grads -- mostly doctors, lawyers and Presbyterian ministers -- and they are all interesting, successful people.

golfgal -- It can't be stressed strongly enough how difficult this school is to get into, though. My son will visit because it's so important to his grandfather. He's an excellent student, but whether he would get in is a total toss-up. They turn down kids who are #1 in their class every year.

MrsPete -- I'll never believe Western Carolina's acceptance rate is really that low -- that's why I posted it.

This is our third time around with the college decision. Unlike my older two, my junior does not know what he wants to do, which complicates things a little bit.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #90
DVCLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Yeah, Davidson's grads are bonded to each other for life.

golfgal -- It can't be stressed strongly enough how difficult this school is to get into, though. My son will visit because it's so important to his grandfather. He's an excellent student, but whether he would get in is a total toss-up. They turn down kids who are #1 in their class every year.
This makes me laugh - almost everyone I know had Davidson on their lists freshman and sophomore year. We were all sure they would snap up our wonderful offspring. Somewhere during junior year we all quietly stopped talking about it as the reality hit that our wonderful kids were not going to get in under any circumstances. LOL!

The ones who did were really outstanding.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: