Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #751
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Meh, I found it interesting and amusing.
I also think it's interesting and, although we haven't counted it, my son is keeping all of his. We're planning a "decision day bon fire." Hopefully his friends have been saving too.

My 10th grader is already keeping his AND counting emails. I thought this was pretty normal?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #752
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I also think it's interesting and, although we haven't counted it, my son is keeping all of his. We're planning a "decision day bon fire." Hopefully his friends have been saving too.

My 10th grader is already keeping his AND counting emails. I thought this was pretty normal?
I guess it must be normal for some but I just wonder why? The bonfire sounds like fun, though.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #753
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanmom View Post
We're done, too! DD was accepted to Boston College and Elon. She was so, so excited about Boston College but we warned her not to get her hopes up. We knew that we could not afford BC without SUBSTANTIAL! aid (despite what we've been able to save) and we didn't want her to be disappointed. All we kept saying was "We have to wait for the financial aid package before a final decision can be made." You can imagine there were several difficult conversations with her about what we could and couldn't do. We were trying not to feel guilty but we knew how hard she had worked to get into such a selective school. And, of course, we knew how badly she wanted to go there.

Well, the aid package arrived yesterday. They have met 100% of her need and more than 75% of it is scholarship money - not loans!!! OMG !!! She just signed up for "Admitted Eagle" day and we are so proud for her!

I hope there are positive outcomes for all of the rest of our DISer kids and that the stress of college selection is behind them all soon!

That's great news!! Congraulations!!!
I wish her all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Now, THAT is a parent with WAY too much time on her hands.
I thought the same thing.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #754
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanmom View Post
We're done, too! DD was accepted to Boston College and Elon. She was so, so excited about Boston College but we warned her not to get her hopes up. We knew that we could not afford BC without SUBSTANTIAL! aid (despite what we've been able to save) and we didn't want her to be disappointed. All we kept saying was "We have to wait for the financial aid package before a final decision can be made." You can imagine there were several difficult conversations with her about what we could and couldn't do. We were trying not to feel guilty but we knew how hard she had worked to get into such a selective school. And, of course, we knew how badly she wanted to go there.

Well, the aid package arrived yesterday. They have met 100% of her need and more than 75% of it is scholarship money - not loans!!! OMG !!! She just signed up for "Admitted Eagle" day and we are so proud for her!

I hope there are positive outcomes for all of the rest of our DISer kids and that the stress of college selection is behind them all soon!

Wow! Such exciting news for all of you! Sending your daughter pixie dust and good vibes for her college years and beyond!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #755
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

I need to ask, I know that as parents you don't want your kids to come out owing a lot of money with loans but it seems like no one is giving their kids the option at all. A lot of people are saying that their kids are getting into their dream colleges but can't go because of not enough scholarship. Did you consider taking loans out at all Was it your decision or your kids to not take out loans and not go where they want

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #756
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisnfamily View Post
Found this post on College Confidential and thought it was interesting so I am posting it here:

43 pounds!

You can find the thread here if you are interested in reading the whole thing.
Very interesting. The only one of those schools that I got anything from is Miami.

What does anyone know about Guilford College in North Carolina? Not that I can really go there because its so far away from home but I have gotten A LOT of letters from them and am curious.

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #757
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

To answer disneylovin24 . . .

We want our sons to have a good start on life after college and starting out debt free instead of in a hole is a big part of that. I don't see myself encouraging loans for undergraduate school. If I did, it would be for a very practical major and for a very prestigious school only.

For the record, our kids can major in whatever their passion is. One of the them has a lucrative major and a great job two years out of college -- he could afford loans but is sure glad he doesn't have them. The one graduating in May is not in a practical, lucrative field. If that kid also had loans, he would be up the creek b/c he would have to produce more $ immediately than is likely to happen. That's not what I want for my children.

I don't think I've ever known anyone who went to Guilford, but it's a small Quaker school with, as far as I know, a decent reputation. It also is a perfect example of a school I would never advocate my child getting loans to attend.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #758
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Meh, I found it interesting and amusing.
I did, too. It certainly is a lot of mail. I'm trying to remember which ones we saw over and over again. I do know that if Pace had called the house one more time, my daughter was going to lose it. She thanked them and told them that she had no interest many times and was getting very annoyed.

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #759
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
I need to ask, I know that as parents you don't want your kids to come out owing a lot of money with loans but it seems like no one is giving their kids the option at all. A lot of people are saying that their kids are getting into their dream colleges but can't go because of not enough scholarship. Did you consider taking loans out at all Was it your decision or your kids to not take out loans and not go where they want
Actually, neither we nor or kids ended up taking out loans and they both got to go to the college of their choice. It just depends what your choices are.

We did our research early on, determined the type of school they would want and had their major (and other majors in which they were interested in case they ended up switching majors which one did), where they would thrive, receive a solid education AND that we could afford - either out of pocket, or with additional scholarships.

So perhaps there were other schools out there that could have been "dream colleges", but we did not consider them because we knew they could not get enough merit or need based money to make them affordable, which would have meant huge loans. Neither kid chose to look toward reach schools (which most likely would not have been affordable without large loans), so they stayed with matches and safeties which are where you will get most merit money.

They each attended a college where they got significant merit and need based scholarships and we could afford the remaining out of pocket expenses. Even though it was a match or a safety, they were both challenged academically and it was not a walk in the park. DD has been out of college for 5 years now and is very grateful she doesn't have to worry about student loans. DS is graduating this year and is also thrilled he won't have that on his back. And bballdad and I are very happy we don't have another bill to pay every month! They each got excellent, well rounded educations that will serve them well.

So in our family it was a decision by ALL of us not to take out loans. We did consider it at some points because of certain situations, but it did not become necessary.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #760
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One of the most important lessons a parent MUST give a child is you CAN'T always get what you 'want'.

If it's not attainable, 17 or 18 is too old to learn that lesson. It should've been part of their lives since infanthood.

There are plusses and minuses to everything we "want" in life, and a good parent makes that clear to their children. If it requires a major financial decision which may be a problem in the future, adults have been thru this already and know the consequences. Children don't have that experience so they don't see the problem. There are options if the "wanted" is unattainable, and each child needs to know their ability to be a part of the choice, and their part in the decision.

I never had a loan to go to college, I was blessed to go tuition free. On the other hand I have friends and relatives in their 40s STILL paying off college loans. I don't want that to be a part of my son's future so the financial package he receives will have to be a small percentage of loan. Since I am in the business he wants to be a part of I know from the experience of hiring for 30 years what the industry is looking for. You don't have to go to an ivy to make it in television... nope, it's not a top priority.

I know what the people inside want and need and we plan accordingly. Financial planning is a learned thing, I listened (mostly NOT) to my parents and he has to deal with me. It's life.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #761
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Quote:
In our case, it was a joint decision. My kids didn't have "dream" schools out of their reach financially, because they knew ahead of time what that would mean. My son decided to apply only to state schools. My daughter did apply to a couple of private schools. The initial out-of-pocket was about the same for both the private schools and state schools. At the private schools, though, she'd have about $8500+/year in loans. When she added it up, she decided that the state school was a much better choice for her. (Not saying that is better than someone who makes a different choice, but we feel our choices were the best for us.)

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #762
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
The colleges have been a mutual decision for all of us.
For the degree my DD is obtaining and the one my younger will be going for in 2012 a state university is fine.
I told them they could graduate with no debt or choose a private college where they would have loans each year.

My DD high school counselor actually suggested her to go to a public unvisity as she wants to major in education. We had a meeting with him last week and couldn't stress upon the fact that graduation with big loans on a teaching salary ( if she finds a job) may not be a wise move.

There are so many schools I don't see the need for high priced colleges.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #763
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Loans are a tricky subject. I am not against a small amount of loans if there is a good possibility of paying them off quickly. I also am not against taking out huge debt for a sure-fire money making career like medicine.

My DD18 is not taking out any loans for her school because I am lucky enough to be able to fund her studies. She is also not a very career oriented person, and right now it looks like she is planning on graduate school right after college (which I can't afford to fund) and may end up in a academic career path (read lots of education-very little money).

I, on the other hand, graduated with a serious debt load from undergrad and professional school. I paid it off quickly because I was in a high money-making field.

It's a very individual decision that varies, not only family to family, but child to child within a family.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #764
NCRedding
I've strayed
Found DH's pause button. Looking for fast forward
Prep H works

Quote:

What does anyone know about Guilford College in North Carolina? Not that I can really go there because its so far away from home but I have gotten A LOT of letters from them and am curious.
Guilford is a pretty campus with a decent reputation. It is very liberal which is wonderful for some students, not so great for others. The kids who go there from our hometown are usually very conservative, so there is sometimes a culture clash. For example, one football player in our town said he didn't mind the school, but it really bothered him to go to class with so many girls who didn't believe in shaving.

My assistant went there as an adult student. She had classes with kids who were out to "save the world." She had one male student in her classes who wore skirts and tutus to class. The surveys sent out to the students included this: Sex (check one) ____Male ____Female _____Transgendered.

For a small private school in NC it is a bit different.
NCRedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #765
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

My DD is a sophomore
So we are just getting started on her picking a school journey.
But we have made it clear we are not paying 50K a year out of pocket.

We will not qualify for need based aid.

So no -we are not letting her just go where she wants. (or think she wants) at this stage in the game.
We just can't afford it. We have saved -but not enough for full price at a prestigious private college.

The loans would be huge. I don't think it would be a good start on her future.
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: