Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #331
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Find my other post where I compared salaries in those states. I think that it can be said for any state that salaries in the metro areas are going to be higher then they are in other areas. The MN cities also included Duluth, which is a very low cost area to live for a city it's size. On paper, people in VA have about $16,000 "extra" just based on average salary differences and considering state schools there cost this or less, that is a significant difference for financial aid. The problem is that the FAFSA doesn't ask what you paid in property tax or what your mortgage payment is or how much you pay for car insurance-which would equalize things across the country somewhat. I would think in these cases the extra information colleges ask for would help
, but I haven't had to fill one out so I don't know exactly what is asked for on those.

That is my biggest complaint about the FAFSA. According to them we should be able to pay for Harvard or any $50,000 a year school.
It's a joke with property taxes of $10,000 for lot size of 60 X 100. car insurance, commuter expense to Manhatten, NYS taxes, etc.

I hope my 2 DD move from this area, it's too darn expensive to live here!

Last edited by MUFFYCAT; 02-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.
MUFFYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #332
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The problem is that the FAFSA doesn't ask what you paid in property tax or what your mortgage payment is or how much you pay for car insurance-which would equalize things across the country somewhat.
They don't ask, but they still know, and the institution will usually take it somewhat into account in the calculation. Your 9-digit zip code will give them average figures for those things.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #333
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
They don't ask, but they still know, and the institution will usually take it somewhat into account in the calculation. Your 9-digit zip code will give them average figures for those things.
True, which is why you shouldn't go strictly on what the EFC says on the FAFSA site. That is just an "estimate". Colleges do their own figuring.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #334
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
That is my biggest complaint about the FAFSA. According to them we should be able to pay for Harvard or any $50,000 a year school.
It's a joke with property taxes of $10,000 for lot size of 60 X 100. car insurance, comuter expense to Manhatten, NYS taxes, etc.

Not just the FAFSA, it's EVERYTHING. I wish tax credits and such took into account COLA. I have lost the credit for college expenses every year because, on paper, I guess I appear wealthy. Little do they know, it takes all that money just to be middle class. For those of us in high COL areas, we get penalized in so many ways. The benefit, of course, is usually secure employment and a choice of employment but they take every bit of money from you!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #335
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Unfortunetly it didn't help my DD friends when they graduated in 2009. One girl was 15th in the class with a average of about 95 and got about $10,000 from the private colleges, which still made the cost per year over $30,000.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #336
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunetly it didn't help my DD friends when they graduated in 2009. One girl was 15th in the class with a average of about 95 and got about $10,000 from the private colleges, which still made the cost per year over $30,000.
Yes, for the MAJORITY of students, what the additional available aid from private schools will do is equalize the cost with that of a public institution. Very seldom does it actually work out to be significantly less expensive to go private.

BTW, for those of you who live in states with very high in-state tuition at your public schools, you might consider some of the public schools in Missouri. Freshman year will still cost you, but Missouri has some of the loosest residency requirements for in-state status in the nation. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/e...9128dcc9b.html
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #337
bluesaturn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately it didn't help my DD friends when they graduated in 2009. One girl was 15th in the class with a average of about 95 and got about $10,000 from the private colleges, which still made the cost per year over $30,000.
None of the extra info the colleges asked for helped me, they still didn't offer more aide because of my parents' EFC (I did get merit aide). Then again I didn't choose any of those schools, maybe they would have offered a little more when I went there? The colleges might help some people out after gathering more info but it didn't help for anyone I know. Then again, that's likely because around here everyone's EFC shows they can afford to pay for the school, when in reality they can't unless they stop feeding some of their younger kids.

To be fair, most of the people I went to high school with did go to college and were able to graduate with little debt (and sometimes none) thanks to the help of their parents and because they chose the best financial option. It's not all gloom and doom in the east. But I know very few that had most of their expenses paid for with scholarships/aide.
bluesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #338
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
We've covered a lot of the great, top ranked schools for the best students. Not all the kids are that top 5%. I would love to hear some suggestions of schools that take an average kid, or even a fairly subpar student, and do great things with them. Any suggestions?
This!

Also, I'd love info, if anybody has it on colleges in the south with Computer Science Majors and also minors or certification in GIS.

DD18 starts at FGCU(Florida Gulf Coast University) in the fall so I'll be able to report back next year but right now, I don't know much about any of the colleges! I'd actually love to hear anything anybody has to say about FGCU as well.
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #339
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Not really for average students, but it will get us started on computer science . . .

My son is a computer science graduate of NC State University. At State, computer science is in the School of Engineering, which is a separate admission sophomore (generally) year. He was mostly happy with the school and program and has a good job at another university.

State has a graduate GIS program.

State is listed on the top public universities lists we've been discussing. According to College Board 42% of its students are in the top 10% and 93% have a 3.75 or higher. Engineering is more difficult to get in than the university at large.

DS had a merit scholarship, but it wasn't big.

Last edited by tar heel; 02-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #340
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's a joke with property taxes of $10,000 for lot size of 60 X 100. car insurance, commuter expense to Manhatten, NYS taxes, etc.

It's exactly WHY I moved from NY to Ga. In my industry even the top pay is not enough to thrive in NY. In Ga you can live LARGE I miss my hometown but I can still visit.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #341
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, a lot of people here don't go to the Carolina's for school for the same reasons people from the Carolina's don't come here-it is really far away (that and the weather here ).
Yeah, let me tell you one thing about us Carolinians: WE DO NOT LIKE THE COLD !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that with athletic scholarships there is no such thing as a 4 year or 5 year full ride scholarship. It is my understanding that athletic money is given one year at a time with no guarantees that the money will be there from year to year.
Although full-ride athletic scholarships are about as rare as hen's teeth, I've known a handful of students who've earned them. You're right: The contract is almost always a one-year-at-a-time thing.

I had one student who really knew how to play the game and whose father -- he'd been a college athlete too -- saved her butt: She was recruited by a number of smaller schools and was made several offers. (Yeah, she was that good.) Her father insisted that in her contract include a clause about the scholarship continuing if she were injured. Sure enough -- she hurt her knee sophomore year and needed surgery. It put her out of play for a whole year. Because he'd been smart enough to ask for that contract, her scholarship continued. She attended practices, although at first she could only watch, and she showed a good attitude . . . and the next year she returned to the team as a full-fledged player. If her father hadn't been wise enough to ask for that clause, she would've lost her scholarship for at least the year that she had surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise W View Post
I think she will have a better chance getting a teaching job somewhere in NY state, rather than in RI, so I am glad she is getting certified in NY.
Once you have a teaching certificate in one state, getting a license in another state is super-easy. It's really just a matter of proving you're certified and paying the money.

One thing new teachers don't often realize, however, is that teaching is a job that ties you to one state. Once you've taught, say, five years in NY, it's hard to leave and go to another state, knowing that you're leaving your NY pension to start all over again in another state. You really only draw a decent pension amount if you make it to the full 30 years (varies in other states), so walking away from your state is tough.

One more thing about getting a teaching job . . . In my experience, principals find MOST of their teachers in one of two ways: student teaching or substituting. That is, they much prefer to hire people who've been in their schools already and who have proven their worth. Student teachers almost always get a job SOMEWHERE in the county, if no job is available in the school where they student taught -- yes, even now. Principles are anxious to hire and retain the best student teachers; if they can't keep them themselves, they try to make sure they get into a nearby school. The student teachers who don't get jobs . . . well, there's a reason. For example, I'm thinking of one who -- after student teaching was over -- was given an interim position for a teacher who was out long-term, and instead of working hard to prove herself, she put less effort into it the Walmart greeters. She failed to realize that she was "interviewing" every day of her sub job.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #342
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Yeah, let me tell you one thing about us Carolinians: WE DO NOT LIKE THE COLD !!! Although full-ride athletic scholarships are about as rare as hen's teeth, I've known a handful of students who've earned them. You're right: The contract is almost always a one-year-at-a-time thing.

I had one student who really knew how to play the game and whose father -- he'd been a college athlete too -- saved her butt: She was recruited by a number of smaller schools and was made several offers. (Yeah, she was that good.) Her father insisted that in her contract include a clause about the scholarship continuing if she were injured. Sure enough -- she hurt her knee sophomore year and needed surgery. It put her out of play for a whole year. Because he'd been smart enough to ask for that contract, her scholarship continued. She attended practices, although at first she could only watch, and she showed a good attitude . . . and the next year she returned to the team as a full-fledged player. If her father hadn't been wise enough to ask for that clause, she would've lost her scholarship for at least the year that she had surgery. Once you have a teaching certificate in one state, getting a license in another state is super-easy. It's really just a matter of proving you're certified and paying the money.

One thing new teachers don't often realize, however, is that teaching is a job that ties you to one state. Once you've taught, say, five years in NY, it's hard to leave and go to another state, knowing that you're leaving your NY pension to start all over again in another state. You really only draw a decent pension amount if you make it to the full 30 years (varies in other states), so walking away from your state is tough.

One more thing about getting a teaching job . . . In my experience, principals find MOST of their teachers in one of two ways: student teaching or substituting. That is, they much prefer to hire people who've been in their schools already and who have proven their worth. Student teachers almost always get a job SOMEWHERE in the county, if no job is available in the school where they student taught -- yes, even now. Principles are anxious to hire and retain the best student teachers; if they can't keep them themselves, they try to make sure they get into a nearby school. The student teachers who don't get jobs . . . well, there's a reason. For example, I'm thinking of one who -- after student teaching was over -- was given an interim position for a teacher who was out long-term, and instead of working hard to prove herself, she put less effort into it the Walmart greeters. She failed to realize that she was "interviewing" every day of her sub job.
That is not always the case--MN doesn't accept licenses from other states until they prove that they have met the course requirements for that degree-ESPECIALLY at the high school level where it is required to have a degree in your subject area and a minor in secondary education-not all states require this. WI requires additional coursework in American Indian Studies that MN does not require so if you go to school in MN and want to teach in WI you have to take the required coursework. Point being, check the licensing requirements in both NY and RI so she gets what is needed for both just in case.

Full ride athletic scholarships are rare in the sense that there are millions of kids across the country that play high school football (or soccer, volleyball, etc) and only a few thousand scholarships. Many athletic scholarships are partial scholarships but schools also go out of their way to meet "need" if they REALLY want students--even at the DIII level where they can't give athletic scholarships-it's amazing how they come up with school grants and what not for good athletes at that level. .

Some sports, like girls golf, they can't GIVE away the scholarships at some schools. There are girls on some of the DII programs around here that have a "full" scholarship (which usually means full tuition, books and some kind of stipend-still need to pay room and board) that can't break 100. The University of MN has 8 woman's golf scholarships, they play 6 players so two "JV" players get scholarships.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #343
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is not always the case--MN doesn't accept licenses from other states until they prove that they have met the course requirements for that degree-ESPECIALLY at the high school level where it is required to have a degree in your subject area and a minor in secondary education-not all states require this. WI requires additional coursework in American Indian Studies that MN does not require so if you go to school in MN and want to teach in WI you have to take the required coursework. Point being, check the licensing requirements in both NY and RI so she gets what is needed for both just in case.

Full ride athletic scholarships are rare in the sense that there are millions of kids across the country that play high school football (or soccer, volleyball, etc) and only a few thousand scholarships. Many athletic scholarships are partial scholarships but schools also go out of their way to meet "need" if they REALLY want students--even at the DIII level where they can't give athletic scholarships-it's amazing how they come up with school grants and what not for good athletes at that level. .

Some sports, like girls golf, they can't GIVE away the scholarships at some schools. There are girls on some of the DII programs around here that have a "full" scholarship (which usually means full tuition, books and some kind of stipend-still need to pay room and board) that can't break 100. The University of MN has 8 woman's golf scholarships, they play 6 players so two "JV" players get scholarships.

Wow, I didn't know a THING about Minnesota till this thread. Are you on their Board of Commerce or something??? If not you sure should be.

When did MN become THE state? Was I asleep or something???

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #344
Anne34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
I have a question about the bolded. Don't ANY of the people you know make too much to qualify for need based aid? Many if not most of the top schools (where you have said you know kids attend) give only need based aid. All of the people you know who attend those schools qualify for need based financial aid? Are salaries lower in Minnesota or something because we've had many people on this thread who don't qualify, who have a very high EFC. So if those people's kids attend a school that gives only need based aid, they'd be paying full price. But it seems like everyone you know gets financial aid.
We have a very high EFC and do not qualify for any need based scholarships. My daughter (29ACT & 3.89 gpa) will only get a couple smaller scholarships from her school ($5000 & $1500 merit aid). She is going to Iowa state and it is cheaper for her than Illinois. (Still 28,000) She loved the school so we are fine with it. I don't know too many people in this area that get most of their college paid for unless NMF. Most get some grants/aid/etc. and have loans or parents pay the rest.

Minnesota's smaller schools are under $18,000/year instate with room & board. They are a bargain if they have what you're looking for. My newphew looked into a couple, but decided they weren't for him.
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #345
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I said the individual has to prove that they're qualified. That includes checking the degree requirements, etc. But once you have a teaching license, it's easy to get another one. If you ever let it expire, that's bad news.

Ironically, I have taught more girls who've earned athletic scholarships than guys who've done the same. I have no idea whether that's typical or not, but it's been my personal experience.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: