Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #136
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I thought you meant that the TOWN had to be smallish in size.

No. We hope they will pick smaller, private colleges. City size is unimportant to me, except for hoping for an airport.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #137
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

gopack-- I could have written your post, but reversed. I was the Carolina grad who sent my child to State. Like your daughter, I'm assuming, he got into my alma mater and chose to go elsewhere. State fit HIM better. He now has a good job in his field at UNC Charlotte, too.

I was on the State campus with my "Pack Parent" decal on my window and my Carolina front tag many times! I also am a "tar heel born and bred," and writing checks to State had no effect on that whatsoever.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #138
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
Does it have to be NE? There are so many wonderful private liberal arts schools outside of the NE.

In the NE, Haverford, Williams, Swarthmore. ?
Has to be NE, I do not want to go more then 6 hours away from home. Haverford I am looking at, Swarthmore is a reach for me, and Williams has a desolote location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Swathmore, Dickinson, Dartmouth... Keep in mind I've done no research about their stats, they're just the names I thought of...all of these schools are very competitive and in the Northeast. Also, it depends on what major you're interested in. When I was at Bryn Mawr it had one of the best archaeology departments in the country.

agnes!
Like I just said, Haverford is interesting me. Have to look up Bryn Mawr now, thanks! Swarthmore is too competative along with Datmouth. Dickinson is too far from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise W View Post
My daughter is a senior at Adelphi University in Garden City, NY (Long Island). She is an elementary Ed/Math/Special Ed major. They offer a 5 year teaching program where she will end up with her Masters and be certified to teach in NY. They have about 7000 students and a small, pretty campus. They are right next to a train station that goes into NYC. She has been happy there and we are happy with the education she is getting.

Denise
NO NO NO Adelphi! Sorry but it is way too close to home for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1nsmom View Post
I asked this of a previous poster, but what do you want to study? Some better schools in my area are Union in Schenectady and Skidmore in Saratoga Springs, but they're both fairly small schools (somewhat prestigious...and very expensive, but small).
I want to go for political science. My top school right now actually is not a liberal arts school but I have found that most schools that do offer the size I want are liberal arts. I kind of do not want to go upstate NY because it is too remote for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I visited with my child. I felt very comfortable with the school. Ultimately it did not make the list, but great reputation, beautiful campus, enthusiastic students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
BC grad here '87 so a while ago, but I loved it and still love it. It was a great place to go to school. Great "family" feel and I'm still close to several of my friends from that time. They have a great alumni club with activities all the time. Boston is a great city for a college person because of the masses of students in the city. There is plenty to do, tons of cheap eat type places.

I loved that they had the newton campus for freshman. A great first stop away from home, we were all in the same boat.

It however is not on my son's list because his grades are not up to par for it. Any specific questions I'd be happy to help. We fell in love as soon as we stepped into gasson hall.

Also one of my old professors recently passed away, you would be surprised at how many either attended or sent notes to this man's family. Jesuits hold a special place in my heart.
I know that most people LOVE BC. Everybody I have talked to that has toured it has fallen in love and I did a few years ago but now that I am older I was not feeling it. I know it is a small school compared to publics but I felt like it was still large and I did not like the feel of the campus, too spread out. And I hated the Newton Campus idea! First, half of the Freshman now stay on main so freshman are split up which I do not like. And I want my classes to be walking distance from my dorm which while Newton is walking distance most people I spoke to yesterday so nobody every walked it. I have family who went to school in Boston and said that they feel BC students do not interact with the city much and from being on the campus for a few hours I saw that, they definetley were in there own little world of just BC, which I kind of didn't like. Also, the first school I went to everybody would stop and talk to the tour group and I liked that. At BC I felt like people looked down on us. But, like I said that is just me and I know it is a wonderful school and most love it.

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #139
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1nsmom View Post
I also wanted to add another plug for my alma mater, SUNY Geneseo. It isn't a private school, but it's in the northeast (western NY), the right size, and is considered one of the best bargains you can get for a quality education. It always makes the list in Forbes and Newsweek for top small colleges/bargains.
Another one that is way too far from me and it is too remote for my tastes.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #140
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
disneylovin24 ~ Check out Drew University in Madison, NJ. Beautiful campus, lovely town, just a train ride away from NYC.
It's a little less competative then I want but thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Swathmore, Dickinson, Dartmouth... Keep in mind I've done no research about their stats, they're just the names I thought of...all of these schools are very competitive and in the Northeast. Also, it depends on what major you're interested in. When I was at Bryn Mawr it had one of the best archaeology departments in the country.

agnes!
I looked Bryn Mawr up. It was perfect except all girls school which is another no no.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #141
gopack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
gopack-- I could have written your post, but reversed. I was the Carolina grad who sent my child to State. Like your daughter, I'm assuming, he got into my alma mater and chose to go elsewhere. State fit HIM better. He now has a good job in his field at UNC Charlotte, too.

I was on the State campus with my "Pack Parent" decal on my window and my Carolina front tag many times! I also am a "tar heel born and bred," and writing checks to State had no effect on that whatsoever.

Tar heel, I am glad to hear that one can survive the State/Carolina house divided issue! LOL! The two schools certainly do have a different "vibe" (to quote my daughter). She attended a PAMS event at State yesterday after going to Carolina and she just didn't "feel" it. I am glad to hear that things worked so well for your DS! I am guessing he was an engineering major?
gopack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #142
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
I want to go for political science. My top school right now actually is not a liberal arts school but I have found that most schools that do offer the size I want are liberal arts. I kind of do not want to go upstate NY because it is too remote for me.
Would you consider schools in Washington D.C.? They have some "competitive" ones: Georgetown, George Washington, American??
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #143
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
Would you consider schools in Washington D.C.? They have some "competitive" ones: Georgetown, George Washington, American??
I was looking at Georgetown originall but then took it off my list because I thought I had a lot of schools to look at closer to home. Now, the second thing is not true but I am still reluctant about Georgetown because it is 6 hours away and it is in the middle of the city which scares me alittle and now I am just "shook up" because I did not like BC which I really thought I would and now I have no idea what to like or not. Ok, that probably ounds confusing but now I am really confused an all because I was really expecting BC to be my first choice and for me to love it so I keep asking myself what happened there and all.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #144
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
I was looking at Georgetown originall but then took it off my list because I thought I had a lot of schools to look at closer to home. Now, the second thing is not true but I am still reluctant about Georgetown because it is 6 hours away and it is in the middle of the city which scares me alittle and now I am just "shook up" because I did not like BC which I really thought I would and now I have no idea what to like or not. Ok, that probably ounds confusing but now I am really confused an all because I was really expecting BC to be my first choice and for me to love it so I keep asking myself what happened there and all.
Well if it helps- I liked Boston College over Georgetown- So if you didn't like the vibe at BC maybe Georgetown will be more your speed. I just got a text from my friend that is on her way up to BC with her son to check it out. I am anxious to hear if they like it!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #145
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I'm curious as to what criteria you're using to help pick the right college for your kids?

Location?

Tuition?

Size?

Reputation?

Major?

How difficult or how easy it is to get into?

Everyone's criteria is so different so the "right" college is quite personal.
Of course I am not a parent but I can say as a teen what is important right now. My parents give me suggestions and all but are not effection my decisions at all.

Loaction is big because I do want to be semi-close to home, like not too close (2 hours is starting distance) but not too far, 4 hours would be great but I am willing to do up to 6 if the school is AMAZING. I also want to be close to a bigger city where a lot is going on. I feel like having a city right there helps with getting jobs when your done too because your close to a lot of job oppertunities.

Tuition makes no difference, Ive discussed this with my parents and we've agreed that happiness comes first then figuring out how to pay. Loans may be necessary but we are expecting a good amount of aid.

Size has become VERY important. I want a smaller school, no more then 8000 kids. I like the community feel of smaller schools, it makes you feel more protected which I like.

Reputation is important. I want to attend somewhere that does have a good reputation because I think it helps getting jobs in the end.

I want to go for political science so a lot of schools have it so that's not a big one. Pretty much any school I look at has it so it ends up making no difference.

I also want a more competative school because I have worked hard in high school to get into a good college.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #146
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Well if it helps- I liked Boston College over Georgetown- So if you didn't like the vibe at BC maybe Georgetown will be more your speed. I just got a text from my friend that is on her way up to BC with her son to check it out. I am anxious to hear if they like it!
Im sure they will! lol From everyone I have talked to I feel like I am the only person who does not like it. Georgetown is more of a consideration now though because I did not like the Boston schools I thought I would.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #147
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Anyone know anything about Scranton University?
I just found that one on the Jesuit website and it's rather local so we could easily check it out- day trip. Anyone know anything?
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #148
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Another one that is way too far from me and it is too remote for my tastes.
Did you look at Skidmore? It seems remote, but Saratoga is a great town and it is fairly close to Albany (good airport for whoever asked and Southwest flies there)

Quote:
I looked Bryn Mawr up. It was perfect except all girls school which is another no no.
Don't immediately dismiss women's colleges (I assume you are female). They offer an incredible education. Bryn Mawr is in a consortium with Haverford (and I think Swarthmore too), Mt. Holyoke and Smith are in a consortium with UMass, Amherst, and Hampshire college. So it's not like there are no boys at all.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #149
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Quote:
Of course I am not a parent but I can say as a teen what is important right now. My parents give me suggestions and all but are not effection my decisions at all.

Loaction is big because I do want to be semi-close to home, like not too close (2 hours is starting distance) but not too far, 4 hours would be great but I am willing to do up to 6 if the school is AMAZING. I also want to be close to a bigger city where a lot is going on. I feel like having a city right there helps with getting jobs when your done too because your close to a lot of job oppertunities.

Tuition makes no difference, Ive discussed this with my parents and we've agreed that happiness comes first then figuring out how to pay. Loans may be necessary but we are expecting a good amount of aid.

Size has become VERY important. I want a smaller school, no more then 8000 kids. I like the community feel of smaller schools, it makes you feel more protected which I like.

Reputation is important. I want to attend somewhere that does have a good reputation because I think it helps getting jobs in the end.

I want to go for political science so a lot of schools have it so that's not a big one. Pretty much any school I look at has it so it ends up making no difference.

I also want a more competative school because I have worked hard in high school to get into a good college.
Read this
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #150
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone know anything about Scranton University?
I just found that one on the Jesuit website and it's rather local so we could easily check it out- day trip. Anyone know anything?
Youbetcha . Both of my kids went to the Univ. of Scranton and LOVED their time there. They have done a lot of new construction recently including a new student center and sophomore dorm which are finished, and a science complex and upperclass apartments (including an additional dining location and fitness center) are under construction and scheduled to be completed by fall, 2011.

The campus is well maintained and dorms and buildings we have been in have always been spotless. It draws students mainly from PA, NJ and NY, but both my kids had friends there from the west coast and other countries as well. Academics are first rate with the sciences being very strong (their med. school acceptance rate is fairly high). They have a unique honors program offered to the top (approx. 50) incoming freshmen. We also found they were fairly generous with merit and need based aid.

My DD knew that was where she wanted to be when she first set foot on campus when we visited. There was a vibe and a feeling she didn't get from any of the other schools on her list. DS actually started somewhere else and transferred to Scranton for second semester freshman year.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: