Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Help! Replace range with SS or black? (Selling house)

I need advice, especially from women, as the female's opinion of the kitchen can make/break a house sale. We are getting ready (ASAP) to sell our house. It is a seller's market here.

We have black appliances and they look good with the granite, which has some black veining in it. We will take the fridge with us, but the slide in range, microwave and dishwasher stay in the house. All work fine and are about 6 years old.

The slide in electric range is a GE Profile and has a smooth glass top. No back piece....it just looks like a sheet of glass sitting on our granite countertop. It has a crack in the glass that cannot be there when we put the house on the market. To replace the glass top will cost at least $600. Not kidding. The cheapest slide in, even on sale, is $1000-$1200 and that's if you get lucky. Most slide ins are much more.

We are debating just buying a new slide in rather than repairing. What would you do?

1. Buy an all black range so that all the remaining appliances match, even though stainless is all the rage now.

2. Buy a black and stainless combo colored range so that it somewhat matches the remaining black microwave and dishwasher. (I think this is why they are made black/SS, so that you can put them with black OR stainless.) Do you hate it when black is combined with a black and SS appliance?

3. Bite the bullet and buy all three new, probably in stainless or black/SS so that the kitchen is updated.

We really hate to spend the money, as we don't think we'll get it back and we are already spending a lot on painting, etc. Plus, unless we put in high end (and we won't) no one is going to walk in and fall in love with the appliances. There is even a chance they will want to replace them all.

We would just fork over the $600+ to repair it, but that will take 3 weeks sue to the part being slow to arrive.

What would you want if you were a buyer, keeping in mind it is a seller's market? I need help. Thanks!
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

I don't like SS, so I say go with the all black to match the other appliances.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Get the model number of your stove and try Amazon for the replacement.

You can also try GE's direct website. We recently had to replace the glass stovetop in one of our houses and Lowes wanted $1600 and tried to talk us into replacing the whole unit.

DH shopped around online and the replacement cost of the glass top was around $187. Huge savings plus, the top arrived in less than a week!
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

All black so they match. SS is not as hot as it used to be.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Contemporary-September 2009
Disneyland Hotel-October 2009
Disneyland Hotel-December 2010
Bay Lake Tower/MVMCP-December 2011
1Mouse2RulethemAll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I might list the house with the broken one and see what happens. If the first few potential buyers say something about it, then I might have the realtor mention that that's something that needs to be replaced and will allow a $600 allowance for that in the sale.

As a buyer, I don't think a cracked cooktop would deter me from buying a house that I liked. Also, having a $600 allowance for me to pick out what I want might be a really awesome option as well.

For example, our house was neutralized right before we saw it. They dropped the price and had all walls painted a slightly off white, and all carpets replaced with contractor's (el-cheapo) grade carpet. The painter they hired did a crappy job, and the paint they used is impossible to match (I wonder if they just bought mis-tints of shades of off-white). I wish they had just given the option of taking an "allowance" for the value of what they paid to have that all done. If so, I probably would have splurged on the carpet, and pocketed the money toward the painting and done it ourselves, as we could afford it, room by room. None of the paint colors were that bad, as we can see parts of the original colors in every single room, because the paint jobs were just that great.

On the other hand, if you MUST change it out, I would go with the black/stainless combo. Then you have the best of both worlds.

ETA : another benefit of offering an "allowance" - the potential buyers might prefer a gas stove.

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I would like the black so that it all matches.

I do like the the other poster's idea of not doing anything and just giving an allowance if asked.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
shoney
DIS Veteran

I think I would also prefer an allowance as well.

Since you are taking the refrigerator, the buyer is forced to make an appliance purchase. If it were me, I would purchase a SS french door model. Then, the mismatched appliances would drive me nuts and I would have to replace the rest of them anyway!

Why do people take the refrigerator? I see that on HGTV. In all the houses I've looked at, no one was ever taking an appliance. Just wondering....
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I hate stainless so I say stick with black
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I would buy an all black range.

We have ruined the glass top on my stove as well. Cheap builders grade I guess.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I'm with the PP who suggested the allowance. I wouldn't let that stop from buying if I liked your house enough. If you do replace just go a black stove, it will match, you won't need to replace everything and black looks better than SS IMO. I have all black in my kitchen and love it.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post

Why do people take the refrigerator? I see that on HGTV. In all the houses I've looked at, no one was ever taking an appliance. Just wondering....
In our case, if we were planning to move (and we aren't) we would take our fridge with us too.

Why? Because when the house was built, it was built with "builder's grade appliances", which in fridge terms meant WAY small and no ice-maker. So we spent the money to replace it with a brand-new, freezer-on-the-bottom, really really big fridge, with ice and water in the door, etc. It was expensive and I would NOT leave it behind.

However, we put the smaller, old fridge in the garage and use it to store extra food, big bottles of soda, etc so if we were ever to move and take the "good" fridge, we would just pull the old one out of the garage and stick it back in the house.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

What kind of buyer will your home attract?

Is it a starter home so that the buyers will be younger and therefore of the newer generation where everything has to be perfect because they expect their 1st house to be as nice as the house their parents took 30 years to acquire? If so replace the stove with a black one to match the rest of your appliances.

I'd also try to replace it as a PP suggested looking at Amazon.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
In our case, if we were planning to move (and we aren't) we would take our fridge with us too.

Why? Because when the house was built, it was built with "builder's grade appliances", which in fridge terms meant WAY small and no ice-maker. So we spent the money to replace it with a brand-new, freezer-on-the-bottom, really really big fridge, with ice and water in the door, etc. It was expensive and I would NOT leave it behind.

However, we put the smaller, old fridge in the garage and use it to store extra food, big bottles of soda, etc so if we were ever to move and take the "good" fridge, we would just pull the old one out of the garage and stick it back in the house.
That makes sense. You are replacing the frig before you sell it. Not just having a empty space!

I know so many ppl that have bought and sold houses and all appliances, regardless of cost, come with the home. I did some googling and it seems to be another regional difference!

http://activerain.com/blogsview/2707...-island-house-
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
Know of serveral who have taken theirs for the reason:

They built a house with a finished basement with a bar in it. Instead of buying a brand new frigde, they took their 3 year old large fridge that they loved with them for use in that space.

Friends who both had kids from previous relationships. They combined to make 8 in the family and moved into a bigger house. Couldn't fit the over size industrial fridge into the budget, so they put their old fridges in the garage and used them to store all the extra's.

1 friend who does cakes and candies and 1 who does floral arrangements as side jobs. Both have several frigdes in their garages for storage. Each time they have moved, the oldest garage fridge was retired and they moved the kitchen fridge out and put a new one in the kitchen.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

It's not a starter home. Has four bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, game room and two dining. The glass replacement piece is $400 and another $200 to install. And that is the cheapest price. It is expensive to replace because it is a Profile. The range was $2500 ish.

I initially suggested an allowance as well, since I would prefer that if I were buying. But realtors say no. Many buyers are wealthy Mexicans who expect the house to be in HGTV condition and ready to move in. But thanks for the suggestion.

I am happy to say we may have found an option. We located a slide in on sale that is black, so it will match. I am about to go see it and if it is not bad, we will get it and be done. It won't be as nice as what we have ( convection, 4 burner vs 5) but it will be new. I will update with the results. Thanks for your feedback. It helped.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: