Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

Resturant.com Too good to be true?

I just bought a $50.00 certificate for Nicks grill at grande Vista for 8 bucks.

Has anyone used these? Whats the catch?
Seems too good to be true.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1182 View Post
I just bought a $50.00 certificate for Nicks grill at grande Vista for 8 bucks.

Has anyone used these? Whats the catch?
Seems too good to be true.
Where is Nicks grill? It is not a WDW restaurant. I have never heard of grande Vista.
If you were thinking it was a WDW restaurant on property than yes, it is too good to be true.
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to move this to the Community board as it is not about WDW restaurants.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

Nicks Grill is at the Marriott Grande Vista. I assumed this was for Restaurants in the WDW area as well as on property.

My mistake.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
shoney
DIS Veteran

I don't know about this particular restaurant, but restaurant.com certificates are coupons. Usually, any $50 one requires a minimum purchase of $100.00.

Each restaurant and each amount has different requirements.

When you purchased it, it should say when/what it can be used for.
shoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
lorimay
DIS Veteran

There are lots of rules to use them usually.
I remember seeing something about them at Christmas time.
So many rules in order to redeem them it wasn't a good idea to give it as a gift.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

I have used them at a few locations (never in FL) and had my family use them, in different states. Never had a problem. The only "catches" I saw were you had to spend $25 minimum (not hard to do, would have anyway) and there was an 18% gratuity added on. I am a good tipper, so that didn't bother me either.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post
I have used them at a few locations (never in FL) and had my family use them, in different states. Never had a problem. The only "catches" I saw were you had to spend $25 minimum (not hard to do, would have anyway) and there was an 18% gratuity added on. I am a good tipper, so that didn't bother me either.
was that for a $10 certificate? Usually that's how it goes....

Each amount has a different minimum....

$10 requires $25
$25 requires $35 or $50
$50 requires $100
$100 requires $200

It is important to hightlight the circle next to the amount you want to buy. This will change the requirements in the box to correspond to each amount.

I have used them at home and at BB Kings in Orlando. BB Kings was great because they included alcohol in the total purchase, many do not. We had 4 adults and 2 kids, so it was easy to hit the $200 minimum. I also hit a great code and got the $100.00 off for only $8.
shoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I think of them more like a coupon. BTW, now that you bought one, they will send you their special offers. They go down to $25 for $2 at least once a month.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

I use them frequently. Just a few things to be wary of -- check the minimums because all restaurants are different, some allow alcohol, some only do certain days of the week, etc. As long as you know what you're getting into, it can provide awesome savings at places you might not otherwise go (and if you're intending to go there anyway, all the better!)

Another piece of advice I'd give for restaurant.com as well as Groupon -- don't use it for a special occasion. Some of the restaurants tend to have special seating areas for coupon users where the service is not quite as good, and provide smaller portions. (There's a Brazilian steakhouse here, one of my favorite restaurants, but I noticed when I used a Groupon, the steak didn't come around quite as often but we got offered LOTS of sausage and turkey thighs.) Not so smart IMHO if you're trying to get repeat customers, but whatev ...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I've used plenty of Groupons and Restaurant.com coupons and NEVER have I been seated in a "special area" or served a different menu, unless the deal says it is specifically for a different menu. I've always been treated the same as any other customer.
I consider rest.com certificates more like coupons, make sure you read the fine print as there will be restrictions but you can simply use it towards your purchase. Usually a $25 coupon is good towards $50 worth of food and a $50 is good towards $100 worth of food, you won't get just the $25 worth of food, you do have to spend a minimum amount. They do normally add 18% percent as well. Just make sure you read the coupon so you know what the deal is and enjoy your discounted meal.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

I use restaurant.com all the time never had a problem with a restaurant taking the certificate or any problems really. They have a smart phone app now and you can access your certificates and not have to print them out.

I have been in the parking lot of a restaurant and bought a certificate on my phone and used it 5 minutes later.

Read the rules carefully. Every certificate is different, the restaurant sets the rules.

I can't say enough how impressed I am with this company. Buy a certificate and change your mind, they give you credit toward another one. One restaurant closed, they issued me a credit.

Lisa
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
was that for a $10 certificate? Usually that's how it goes....

Each amount has a different minimum....

$10 requires $25
$25 requires $35 or $50

$50 requires $100
$100 requires $200

It is important to hightlight the circle next to the amount you want to buy. This will change the requirements in the box to correspond to each amount.

I have used them at home and at BB Kings in Orlando. BB Kings was great because they included alcohol in the total purchase, many do not. We had 4 adults and 2 kids, so it was easy to hit the $200 minimum. I also hit a great code and got the $100.00 off for only $8.
I have had both the $10 requiring $25 and the $25 requiring $35 - which is a pretty good deal really. I only paid $3 for the $10 one and $4.00 for the $25 ones... I thought it was pretty cool. Of course, we would have gone out for that meal either way.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Nope, not too good to be true. I'll be using, for maybe the 10th time in the last few years, one for House of Blues in DTD this weekend. Ight also use another Giordanos one. Never had s problem, never gotten attitude about them. They're great,
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

If there is a $100.00 min. And I have a $50.00 certificate does that mean my bill will be $50.00? Or does my bill need to be over 100 after discount?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: