Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
MistyD
Mouseketeer

BBB with curly hair??

My DD has long curly hair, think Shirley Temple. Big time curls! We are doing BBB next week (yea!) but I've noticed in all the pics I've seen the girls hair is slicked back and in a tight bun. Has anyone done something different with curly hair? I never brush her hair, I only wet-comb it after a bath. PLEASE tell me they won't want to brush her curls??? Her hair would be a HOT MESS after that!

04/04 - Dismoon at CBR
12/2004 - Christmas at WL
10/2005 - Halloween at POFQ
12/2008 - Christmas at POFQ
02/2011 - POFQ!
12/2012 - Christmas at POFQ...again!
10/2014 and 11/2014- Halloween AND Christmas at POP!

MistyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
basketkat
DIS Veteran

My daughter went on her 6th birthday...I don't think her curls are as tight as what you're describing, but she did the diva look. It was slicked back tight and straight. Then she had the little hair piece thing attatched to her bun. It wasn't a perfect bun...

When I washed her hair I just had to do a few rounds of shampoo to get all of the gunk that they put in it to come out. It was crusty! Ha!

I will try to fnd some pictures for you so you can get a better idea....

'01-Off Property '02-All Star Movies Honeymoon '10- All Star Movies'11- Coronado Springs'12- Dream Cruise to Bahamas/Wilderness Lodge'12- Disneyland
basketkat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
basketkat
DIS Veteran

Just to give you an idea of my daughter's curls....

Okay tilt your head...they did brush her hair then she worked on trying to pull it back. Then she dumped a ton of what appeared to be gel on it...

She got it slicked back. As you can see it wasn't the traditiona bun..the extra hair was kinda just folded into itself...

And then the pink extension thing was teased to cover it...

I hope that helps!

'01-Off Property '02-All Star Movies Honeymoon '10- All Star Movies'11- Coronado Springs'12- Dream Cruise to Bahamas/Wilderness Lodge'12- Disneyland
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

thanks for asking this

My dd has very curly hair too I am trying to decide if we should book a appointment.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
woodkins
DIS Veteran

There are 3 styles to pick from at the BBB. Every one of the starts with either a slicked back ponytail or bun. The fairytale princess style (the bun) remains a bun & the disney diva and pop princess then get hair extensions attached to the braided ponytail or bun.

They use TONS of gel, so regardless of her curly texture it will get slicked back and stay in for days.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
tlbwriter
Does this look infected?

If they haven't already figured out how to deal with curly hair (which would be odd to me), you can ask them to make the ponytail without combing her hair, or have them wet it first.

WDW: Grand Floridian Dec 2004
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2005
DL: Offsite July 2007
WDW: Beach Club Dec 2008
tlbwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
SoonerSarah
DIS Veteran

This reminds me that I need to pack extra shampoo for my daughters hair (because I don't shampoo their hair) for after the BBB.

My oldest used to have quite the Shirley Temple ringlets, but we now live in a very dry climate and she has TONS and TONS of hair and while she still has a few ringlets, it's mainly just a bit wavy now. My middle has quite the ringlets right now, but I do put her hair up in a ponytail occasionally. Her hair is always very wet in order to do this.

Once it is time for your daughter's hair to get washed after the BBB, you will just need to clean all of the gunk out and do a good conditioning treatment and her hair shouldn't have a problem going back to normal.

Basketkat-since you have been there before, I have a question for you. I was told over the phone to bring a comb/brush for my daughter's hair, and of course to have it brushed out prior to arrival. At home we use picks or a standard comb for smoothing out hair when it is put up in a pony or bow or whatever. So do I need to bring a comb and a brush, or just one, or what? LOL thanks!
SoonerSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
PrincessPeyton
Mouseketeer

My DD4 has very curly short hair too. At BBB the gel is really strong and will tame even the craziest of hair. The only difference I noticed with my DD curly hair and all the experiences I read here was that her hair only last maybe 2 days. it was a shame since I was looking forward to low maintenance hair for a couple of days!
- Me - DH - DD6 DS3
PrincessPeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
dhardawa
DIS Veteran

This is the reason I never did BBB. I can slick her hair back in a bun with a bunch of hairspray and glitter spray. You'd think, by now, they would have come up with some interesting styles and not just, essentially, a ponytail.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
prncess674
DIS Veteran

Am I the only one who thinks these BBB hairstyles are horrible and tacky? These little girls are wearing these ridiculously tight and shellaced buns. How in the world is this cute? They all look miserable and unnatural and frankly not very princessy. It always amazes me that parents will pay close to $100 bucks for 20 minutes of service where the kid comes out looking worse than when they came in.

Why not spend $15 on hair accessories and hair spray glitter at home and then do a style on your DD that is actually flattering to her hair and personality. The slicked bun that everyone seems to get is akin to the military flat top most enlistees get at basic training.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
basketkat
DIS Veteran

SoonerSarah- I would bring whatever you normally use. They actually wound up using another (brand new) fine tooth comb that we got to take home.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
MissElizabeth
Mouseketeer

My daughter has very curly long hair that turned into super tight rings when we were in the FL humidity. They had no problem at all with her hair, they style lasted two days and would have kept going, but we reached our 'ewww' limit and washed it out.

BTW, we brought a brush and they never used it, they just used a brand new fine tooth comb that went home with us.
MissElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
MomtoAlexnWilliam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSarah View Post
This reminds me that I need to pack extra shampoo for my daughters hair (because I don't shampoo their hair) for after the BBB.
I put what you said in red that made me curious. You don't shampoo your daughter's hair? How do you get the oil/dirt out? Super curious here as if I don't shampoo our hair around here it looks like tar pits!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks these BBB hairstyles are horrible and tacky? These little girls are wearing these ridiculously tight and shellaced buns. How in the world is this cute? They all look miserable and unnatural and frankly not very princessy. It always amazes me that parents will pay close to $100 bucks for 20 minutes of service where the kid comes out looking worse than when they came in.

Why not spend $15 on hair accessories and hair spray glitter at home and then do a style on your DD that is actually flattering to her hair and personality. The slicked bun that everyone seems to get is akin to the military flat top most enlistees get at basic training.
I love them!! Our DD8 loves them! She is not miserable. She's had it done for the past 3 years. Obviously there are a lot more people out there who love them as well or BBB wouldn't be in business. To each his or her own.

______
MomtoAlexnWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
MichaelColey
Mouseketeer

Our daughter has curly "Shirley Temple" hair, and that's what they did when we took her for her fifth birthday. It's not something we would do with her hair and we don't particularly care for the style, but she enjoyed the pampering.
Our Disney Trips: WDW: Sep'07 (9d-ASMo), Sep'08 (14d-ASMo), Sep'09 (14d-ASMo), Sep'10 (13d-Royal Palms, Houses at Summer Bay), Dec'10 (7d-Wyndham Bonnet Creek), Feb'11 (7d-BCV), Mar'11 (20d-WBC,SSR,VWL), May'11 (7d-AKV), Aug'11 (27d-OKW,BWV,VWL,OKW), Apr'13 (14d?-BLT?,?)
DL: Feb'09 (3d), Mar'09 (5d), May'09 (3d), Oct'09 (5d), Apr'12 (7d-VGC), Aug'12 (7d-Dolphin's Cove), Feb'13 (14d-Newport Coast) - DLP: Jan'10 (4d), Mar'13 (7d-MVF)
MichaelColey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post

No I agree as well to the look of the style, but most of the kids must like it otherwise it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

I have curly hair, and always am annoyed at the only option stylists (everywhere not just BBB) think you want is to make it straight some of us acutally like our natural curls.

To the OP with enough gel the hair will be pulled back and stuck into place but I can't imagine it would be that comfortable for your daughter. My concern also would be the combing it out as I cannot remember the last time I combed my hair, I only run my fingers through it to "comb" it.

I think they will try to brush/comb it though it would appear they are really just trained for that senario, I have read other threads saying most of the stylists won't mess with the "system" for fear of ruining the reputation of the BBB.

Good luck

Kirsten

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: