Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #31
MAF
DIS Veteran
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
Get your facts straight or keep your mouth shut!
This is a discussion board where people with different opinions and views WILL post. You have zero right to tell me to shut my mouth. Nobody was making any statements directed towards you personaly, so you might want to settle down.

On that note, I stand by my opinion that GaGa is nothing but an attention seeker with marginal talent, who's only "true motive" is to gain more fame/money.
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #32
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil
 
ConcKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale, near Wilton Manors
Posts: 8,438

Her and Cindy Lauper are the 2 spokespersons for Mac's "Viva Glam" cosmetic line (100% of proceeds from that line go to HIV/AIDS prevention).

She performed at the 2009 National Equality March on DC, helping to bring more attention to the cause (although of course also to herself).

Her escorts to the 2010 MTV Music Awards were Mike Almy, David Hall, Katie Miller, and Stacy Vasquez. They were all members of the US military who were discharged under DADT for being openly gay. Her meat dress stole the spotlight during that event, but she was there trying to forward the gay cause.

She also spoke out against DADT at a rally in Portland, Maine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqOvFJ5-0c

Sadly, a lot of her work gets ignored by the media these days, since it's not "naughty" or offensive.
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #33
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....
 
mickeyfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,823

Thank you for pointing out those facts. I know Cindi Lauper has been involved in the Gay Community for many years. Gaga maybe has her heart in the right plce, even tho she is still trying to make her own way into celebrity. Now knowing who those people are, maybe she is trying not to draw attention to what she is doing for the cause, I do know she spoke out against DADT in Maine (I hope). I don't read a lot about celebs, but any of them that can bring attention to injstice, merely by being famous, I think that is a good thing.

And I realize I am rambling, SO FORGIVE ME.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #34
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
Im not famous
Really
I think you're a Superstar


(But i still think Gaga is a singing bimbo and a attention **** - sorry)
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #35
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
This is a discussion board where people with different opinions and views WILL post. You have zero right to tell me to shut my mouth. Nobody was making any statements directed towards you personaly, so you might want to settle down.

On that note, I stand by my opinion that GaGa is nothing but an attention seeker with marginal talent, who's only "true motive" is to gain more fame/money.
Yes this is a discussion board and i have every right to tell you to shut your mouth if you can back up what you say with some kind of facts.
This is like your third post and the only thing you can say is that she is an attention seeker. Come up with something better, show me some proof.

What reason do you go to work everyday? is it to make money?
So i guess your no better than Gaga.... I take that back, At least she has as you say "marginal talent".

Thank you walter. LOL
__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #36
DOPEYLUVER
DIS Veteran
 
DOPEYLUVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 655

I think at question is the motivation. I would say the gay community is large supporter of creativity - art, music, movies, etc. So by being such a big supporter of gay issues, Lady Gaga has developed a big fan base including many in the gay community.

I am waaaaaaayyyy to old for this but my daughter is a big fan. She went to a concert where Verizon sponsored a promo. Fans texted Gaga from the concert. She then called one of the fans who's seat was upgraded to the front row. She announced that she was only doing this because Verizon was paying $10,000 for the promo and she was donating the money to a local (Boston) aids homeless shelter.

While it is wonderful that she chose to donate the money, she could have also done so without announcing it. She got the money from Verizon. She did something great with it. But you better believe she generated tremendous goodwill for herself among the fans.
__________________
Life's too short for wasting, for ifs and might have beens,
Life's too short for wondering if you could have lived your dreams.

DOPEYLUVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #37
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
Thank you walter. LOL
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,597

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPEYLUVER View Post
She announced that she was only doing this because Verizon was paying $10,000 for the promo and she was donating the money to a local (Boston) aids homeless shelter.

While it is wonderful that she chose to donate the money, she could have also done so without announcing it. She got the money from Verizon. She did something great with it. But you better believe she generated tremendous goodwill for herself among the fans.
Not to defend Gaga (because I generally agree with the sentiment that she's following in the laurels of others and, as previously stated, I just don't get ANY of it), but, I'm sure announcing that Verizon was paying for the promo was part of her deal with Verizon -- it usually is -- and it is pretty common practice for celebrities to announce where they are donating the money for such things.

Often there is then a follow-up where they try to get fans to donate money to the same cause. So, if she skipped that then she likely generated less good will than was available out of the publicity stunt.
__________________
AKV, ASMus, BCV, BWV, DCL, Off-Site, OKW, POP, POR, SSR, VWL
hematite153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #39
MAF
DIS Veteran
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
Yes this is a discussion board and i have every right to tell you to shut your mouth
You're right, you may be able to, but that doesn't mean that its going to happen. GaGa knows that the gays have the disposable income and is tapping right into that. She wasn't "Born This Way", she was one of the popular girls wearing her Abercrombie hoodies and appearing on Mtv reality shows. She's nothing but a bubblegum pop tart who dresses up in ridiculous outfits to mask the fact that she can't carry a tune. Why are you getting so upset that not everyone worships her? You must truly have thin skin if you can't handle someone stating a different opinion on a bubblegum pop singer.
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #40
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427


I'm thinking - Agree to Disagree - might be good inserted at this point.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #41
MAF
DIS Veteran
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post

I'm thinking - Agree to Disagree - might be good inserted at this point.
I'm up for that!

But I must add, I just saw the new video and it was ridiculous, and not in the good way.
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #42
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
You're right, you may be able to, but that doesn't mean that its going to happen. GaGa knows that the gays have the disposable income and is tapping right into that. She wasn't "Born This Way", she was one of the popular girls wearing her Abercrombie hoodies and appearing on Mtv reality shows. She's nothing but a bubblegum pop tart who dresses up in ridiculous outfits to mask the fact that she can't carry a tune. Why are you getting so upset that not everyone worships her? You must truly have thin skin if you can't handle someone stating a different opinion on a bubblegum pop singer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
I'm up for that!

But I must add, I just saw the new video and it was ridiculous, and not in the good way.
OMG i Agree with you on the new Vid.

Im not upset i just ask you to state facts.
I don't care if you like her or not no skin off my back.

Now how do you know she was one of the popular girls?
That statement is what im talking about, you pop in here say something ridiculous and you have nothing to back it up with.
__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #43
MAF
DIS Veteran
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 593

I was just going off of pictures that were leaked of her in her High School days. Anyways I'm not going to comment further on her, its obvious that I am NOT a fan of hers, but I do respect those who do enjoy her. Truce?
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #44
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
I was just going off of pictures that were leaked of her in her High School days. Anyways I'm not going to comment further on her, its obvious that I am NOT a fan of hers, but I do respect those who do enjoy her. Truce?
__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #45
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Oh Barf!

I think I like the bickering better.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.