Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
hammie59
DIS Veteran

Mears Transfer to Universal/IOA

Currently the search tool is disabled, so I'm gonna ask something that's probably already been asked...

Anyone take the Mears shuttle to Universal from Disney hotel? I saw thru Dreams Unlimited you can order tickets with roundtrip transfer at a fairly reasonable price when you consider the cost of parking. It sounds like a good thing, except my concern is getting to the park early enough for rope drop.

1985-1993-1999-off site
2008-CSR/ASMo
2011-POP
dh me ds11 dd6
hammie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie59 View Post
Currently the search tool is disabled, so I'm gonna ask something that's probably already been asked...

Anyone take the Mears shuttle to Universal from Disney hotel? I saw thru Dreams Unlimited you can order tickets with roundtrip transfer at a fairly reasonable price when you consider the cost of parking. It sounds like a good thing, except my concern is getting to the park early enough for rope drop.
You should check out this sticky at the top of the board:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
hammie59
DIS Veteran

Thanks metrowest . I did actually read that. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who's used it so I can have a better idea if I want to go that route.

1985-1993-1999-off site
2008-CSR/ASMo
2011-POP
dh me ds11 dd6
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Because I have an AP I have not used the Dreams Unlimited deal, but I did use the Mears transfer by itself both this past Oct and then again in Dec. I was very pleased with the service and will be using them again in May. What I did was simply stop off at the Mears desk the day I arrived at MCO and bought the number of transfers I needed. They give you a voucher that's perforated in three places with the phone number to call. The day before you go to Universal just call that number and set up a pick up time (we chose 7:30am every time). If you don't want to buy the transfers ahead of time, you can simply call Mears the day before you want to go to Universal. The number is 407-423-5566. A Mears van will pick you up in front of your resort. Either give the driver your voucher or if you didn't buy the voucher at the airport give him exact cash. Every time, we've easily gotten there way before the park opens and in fact have always been one of the first in line to get in. About an hour or two before you're ready to go back to WDW, give Mears a call and set up a pick up time. If you buy your vouchers ahead of time at the Mears desk at MCO (right next to the DME desk) you can pay with a credit card, but if you make your reservations from WDW you must have exact cash to pay the driver. Oh yeah, the vouchers do not have a date on them, so unlike the Dreams Unlimited deal, you can use them any day you want (just call the day before). Round trip the fare is $18.00 (plus tip). If you prepay for the vouchers at the airport, give it to the driver when he picks you up and he'll tear off 1/3 of it and give you the other 2/3's. When you're picked up at Universal later that day give that driver the 2/3's voucher and he'll again tear off 1/3 and give you the last 1/3. The Mears number is printed on the vouchers with instructions.

You may or may not go directly to Universal though. In Oct we used them two different days and both times we went directly from CBR to Universal with no stops, but did make a quick stop at Sea World on the way back both days to pick people up. In Dec one day I got picked up at CSR and there were already people on the van, then we made a quick stop at Pop to pick up two more ladies. On the way back to WDW CSR was the first stop but there were two more men in the van that had to be dropped off at AKL. The stops are really quick though and again we had no trouble making it for rope drop with plenty of time to spare, nor did we have any trouble making it back to WDW in time for our dinner ADRs.

Last edited by aubriee; 02-24-2011 at 02:13 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
inky dinky doo
I've got the best cure for the blues. Schedule another trip to Walt Disney World, now!
The only problem with losing weight is that I'm beginning to look like a rapper

Thanks so much for the detail, Aubriee! That's so helpful to someone who hasn't a clue what they're doing. I think I'll stop at the Mears desk, too, at the airport. One less thing to deal with later.

inky dinky doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
ocean134
DIS Veteran

I stayed on Disney property and took a taxi to get to Universal/IOA. It cost about $30 with tip per direction. The cabs wait out front of the Disney Hotels. Just walk out front and look for the Disney Cast Member who can assist with calling the cabs over for you. The ride was easy and it took about 15 minutes from Pop Century to Universal.

We did not see any need to book transfers with shuttles, etc. But, if you prefer to do so, go for it!

Multiple Visits up to 2005; Saratoga Springs 12/2006; Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/2008; Ft. Wilderness Cabins 2/2009; ASMovies 10/2009; Coronado Springs 12/2009;Pop 1/2010; Pop/DCL-Magic/Universal 1/2011; POFQ 8/2011; Pop 1/2012; RCCL Cruise/POP/Disney Parks/POR 6/2012 ;Pop 2/2013; POFQ 2014 Disney and Universal; Disneyland, Paradise Pier Hotel 1/2014
ocean134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
hammie59
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys!

1985-1993-1999-off site
2008-CSR/ASMo
2011-POP
dh me ds11 dd6

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: