Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Opinions needed. Do I throw out my old cassettes?

It's basement cleaning time and I enjoy throwing things out way too much. Anyhow, I came across some old albums (33s ) and cassette tapes along with a boom box that has a cassette deck. I'm probably going to hold onto the albums because most of them are good and the days of cover art are gone - slight nostalgia. But the only reason for me to hold onto the cassettes and boom box is in case my kids ever want to pretend they're living in the 80s.

What are your thoughts? Toss them or not?
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
BunsenH
Bringing Order to Chaos

on keeping the albums. I've recorded mine to mp3s, but still keep some for the 'art'.

I thought that I might record some cassettes to mp3, but it is a very tedious process. I haven't tossed them yet, but probably will come Spring cleaning time.

I have a small boom box also. I use it to listen to baseball games outside in the Summer.

You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?...
BunsenH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Lassie Lynne
DIS Professional Lurker

I have kept mine. There were some songs that were obscure that I could not remember the title, so I played them, Shazam'ed them and then found them for my Ipod, so I was glad I hadn't thrown them out.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

I've been tossing any I find.
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Beckett:There is one inexplicable, mysterious phenomenon that I do believe in stillÖ us.

Castle: So whatever happens, and whatever you decide, Katherine Houghton Beckett, will you marry me?

Beckett: Richard Edgar Alexander Rodgers Castle yes, I will marry you.

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
IdesOmarch
DIS Veteran

Toss them if you don't mind tossing $$$ out the window. Before tossing, you could sell them to your local buy back record/CD store (most cities have these), or online on ebay. Or you could transfer them all to CD, and then sell them.
IdesOmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
DrCavin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdesOmarch View Post
Toss them if you don't mind tossing $$$ out the window. Before tossing, you could sell them to your local buy back record/CD store (most cities have these), or online on ebay. Or you could transfer them all to CD, and then sell them.
I would never have thought that a cassette tape would be worth anything. The albums yes.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

I still have my old cassettes and don't plan on getting rid of them. Every now and then I'll listen to them. I have a lot that I've recorded off the radio that's now over 20 years old. Especially since some of them are concerts that were rebroadcast, interviews, etc. I've already asked DH about the possibility of transferring them over to MP3 or CD so that I can still have them. You just can't replace radio recordings.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
JCJRSmith
US Navy Veteran

You may want to try the cassettes - don't be too surprised if they don't play. The media tends to decay over time.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
IdesOmarch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCavin View Post
I would never have thought that a cassette tape would be worth anything. The albums yes.

Wouldn't be to me, but to some people yes, of course it would probably depend on if they still work true enough. And I'm not saying they will become millionaires with the selling of these , just a few bucks instead of throwing them out.
IdesOmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
debf
Mouseketeer

I left my cassette tapes at the end of our yard in a free pile. Someone did take them. It was kind of sad to let them go,but they weren't being used anymore.

debf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJRSmith View Post
You may want to try the cassettes - don't be too surprised if they don't play. The media tends to decay over time.
Actually, audio tapes hold up a lot better than you would expect, unless you store them on top of something like a TV or stereo amplifier (ergo, a device that puts out a relatively stong magnetic field, that will kill them).

As example, my older brother has cassettes from the mid 70s that still play just fine; that also may have to do with the fact they were recorded and only played on good equiment with clean heads (he has a Nakamichi). Obviously a store bought, pre dolby tape that has been chewed up in cheap boom boxes isn't going to sound nearly as good.

And as others have pointed out, there is a healthy market on eBay for cassettes, particularly if the recordings are of now out of print music. That's because there is a huge amount of great older music that is not on Itunes.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

One of my co-workers just put an 8 track in his Luxury SUV.
My wife's luxury SUV has the top of the line MACH audio system with AM/FM CD and CASSETTE player, so I'd say, hang on to the cassettes.
I never got into 8-tracks, but I have a ton of LP's and Cassettes. And I used to work in radio, so I have a Sony reel to reel tape deck too!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Okay, I decided to break out some of them and showed my two youngest kids what a cassette player and tape are. They watched me hit power and set it to tape deck, press play and fast forward (didn't stop in between like I'm supposed to either ). I played Stevie Nicks "I Can't Wait" (A side first song) then decided I wanted "Talk To Me" so I fast forwarded before I remembered it was on the flip side. Did the flip the remembered that song was first which meant I had to rewind all the way to the beginning. The kids said "Wow, that thing is sooo cool!"
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: