Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #61
emilymad
DIS Veteran

This is such a great thread! We are looking at a Med cruise this year but haven't finalized anything yet. We are actually leaning towards RCCL instead of Disney due to cost and wanting to go in September. All of the information is so helpful!

Are the trains to Rome reliable? Is there any fear of not making it back to the ship? It sounds so easy to do yourself but I am worried about the risk of missing the ship. In my town while the trains do run ok most of the time they can shut down randomly and everyone gets stranded. How long is the ride and how much extra time do you allow yourself?
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #62
MRAven
We Believe in The Dream that brings us The Wonders of The Magic to keep The Fantasy Alive for Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8T View Post
Hi, glad to help out. The port isn't really a port as you think of it, more of a seaside town, with a long seafront - without a beach that I could see - and lots of yachts moored up.

The Magic moors in the bay and you tender into the quayside beside some beautiful yachts.

The town is a short walk down to the left - alongside the marina and then over the road on your right. It is rather like a tree lined boulevard and there is a sort of park area running down it too. I also saw a merry go round at that time and some childrens play equipment - not sure if the merry go round will be there next time. Once you walk into the town, it is a pedestrianised.

The town has good shops, some modern and some traditional, I would have no problems spending an afternoon there wandering around, having a coffee and watching the world go by, I was sorry we didn't have enough time on our return to wander about more, although it is Italy, it felt more like South of France!!! It isn't really 'quaint' though - at least not to us, but we have lots of 'quaint' in the UK"!

I will try and post some photos of the seafront, if I can find them.

Kate

Sea front Boulvard, town is to the left.
Thank you Kate.

Disney Magic 7 Night Western Mediterranean Aug 20, 2011
Disney Fantasy 7 Nights East Caribbean Dec 29, 2012
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise Oct 26, 2013
Disney Magic 14 days West Bound Trans Atlantic Sep 6, 2014

MRAven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #63
Kaleigh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymad View Post
This is such a great thread! We are looking at a Med cruise this year but haven't finalized anything yet. We are actually leaning towards RCCL instead of Disney due to cost and wanting to go in September. All of the information is so helpful!

Are the trains to Rome reliable? Is there any fear of not making it back to the ship? It sounds so easy to do yourself but I am worried about the risk of missing the ship. In my town while the trains do run ok most of the time they can shut down randomly and everyone gets stranded. How long is the ride and how much extra time do you allow yourself?
We found the Rome trains reliable. The ride takes a little over an hour, depending where you board/depart in Rome. We left around 4:30, but could have left much later since the boat doesn't leave until after 9. It is extremely easy to do on your own. The train is a local commuter train, so if it randomly shut down, it would be a pretty big deal. It was very crowded in the evening when we went back with commuters. I would and will take the train into Rome again.
Kaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #64
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleigh View Post
We found the Rome trains reliable. The ride takes a little over an hour, depending where you board/depart in Rome. We left around 4:30, but could have left much later since the boat doesn't leave until after 9. It is extremely easy to do on your own. The train is a local commuter train, so if it randomly shut down, it would be a pretty big deal. It was very crowded in the evening when we went back with commuters. I would and will take the train into Rome again.
Thanks so much!
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #65
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that has contributed. Lots of great information

K8T - looking forward to the information on Villefranche and Ajaccio
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #66
ga9497
DIS Veteran

Here are two trip reports from posters that sailed to the Med in 2010

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2482007
Image intensive

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....t=disneyfalcon
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #67
emma2
Mouseketeer

This is a great thread - need to bump
emma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #68
emma2
Mouseketeer

bumping again
emma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #69
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9497 View Post
Here are two trip reports from posters that sailed to the Med in 2010

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2482007
Image intensive

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....t=disneyfalcon
The second one is mine. I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I'd be happy to answer any questions. We did every port on our own.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #70
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfalcon View Post
The second one is mine. I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I'd be happy to answer any questions. We did every port on our own.

I was wondering how difficult was it to get to Pompeii on your own

Did you purchase tickets in advance for any trains / places you visited?

Any tips you can give that you found useful or wish you had known before you got there.
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #71
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan1 View Post
I was wondering how difficult was it to get to Pompeii on your own

Did you purchase tickets in advance for any trains / places you visited?

Any tips you can give that you found useful or wish you had known before you got there.
Not too difficult. We had read the walk through Naples to the train station was about 20 minutes, but that's pushing it. It took us longer. If you don't want to walk, buy a bus ticket right across from the port and the bus stop is right there also. The ticket was only 1 Euro and the newsstand can help you with which bus to get on.

Once we got to the train station some friendly Italians heard us discussing which train to take. They helped us and some other Americans and we had no problems. The train stop is right at the entrance to Pompeii. Very easy.

We tried to buy some train tickets before we left home, but we couldn't with American credit cards. I was very glad we didn't because we saved a lot buying them there. We couldn't purchase the BIRG tickets in Rome online for example. We were just trying to buy regular tickets. The BIRG tickets saved us a fortune.

I think this was in my trip report, but when you get to the train station in Civitavechia, I know I didn't spell that right , don't get in the long ticket line. Go in the newsstand and buy the BIRG tickets.

Newsstands were our best friends.

We really never found the language barrier to be a problem. So many people spoke English, and so many stopped to help us if we looked confused while we were consulting a map or sign.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #72
colmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmomofson View Post
Thanks for this great thread. We are on the May 28th sailing. We are going to be doing Villefranche on or own and would like to visit Monaco, Monte Carlo and Eze on the train. Is that doable? Please let me know. TIA for your help.

It is so easy to do Monaco and Monte Carlo on your own. We did it last year when we went on DCL Med trip. Just get off boat and head right along the water and follow the signs to the train station. Very easy and cheap. You can get off train at Monaco/Monte Carlo and it is a beautiful walk up to Monaco.

We didn't go to Eze but I think that is pretty easy to do on your own too.

Corsica is another port where you can just get off boat and head to beach on your own. Walk left after you get off boat and you will walk by a fort. There is a beach on the other side of the fort.

WDW 2006 and 2012, plus 2x in 1970s
Disneyland 2004, 2002, plus multiple times in 1990s

colmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #73
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

Everyone should read Disneyfalcon's TR. She is my inspiration to try all ports on our own. It will be DS16 and my parents. Hopefully, they can go with the flow!
I got a chance to travel on my own in Feb. to DC. I was attending my uncle's funeral ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery. Just happens to be the same day that a huge ice and snow storm shuts down Chicago to NY. My flight gets canceled and I'm stuck in DC. Soooo I take a 6am shuttle to the Metro, rethink that and take a cab to Union Station, take a 7am train to Baltimore and fly home to Ohio at 8:30. I was very proud of myself.
Europe? Bring it on!

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #74
awatt
My pontoon boat is like a floating patio!

We used the following private drivers/guides in the Med and LOVED them. Money well spent to see the sights the way we wanted to and at our own pace.

Stefano, owner of romecabs.com A consummate professional

Fabrizio, owner of allarounditaly.net Like touring with your Italian cousin, great guide!

Catherine from traveltourprestige.com Like touring with your French cousin, very entertaining and fun lady

Last edited by awatt; 03-06-2011 at 12:43 AM.
awatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #75
Disneyfalcon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_Ohio View Post
Everyone should read Disneyfalcon's TR. She is my inspiration to try all ports on our own. It will be DS16 and my parents. Hopefully, they can go with the flow!
I got a chance to travel on my own in Feb. to DC. I was attending my uncle's funeral ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery. Just happens to be the same day that a huge ice and snow storm shuts down Chicago to NY. My flight gets canceled and I'm stuck in DC. Soooo I take a 6am shuttle to the Metro, rethink that and take a cab to Union Station, take a 7am train to Baltimore and fly home to Ohio at 8:30. I was very proud of myself.
Europe? Bring it on!
Thanks, Angie! I"m glad I can help people save money!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: