Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I’m sorry that I haven’t put any pictures in here yet… simple fact is that when we went to Disney in 2008, DW took a ton of pictures. Unfortunately we can’t find them. The only ones we can find are the ones she had on her desktop of the park icons and the Hollywood Tower Hotel. I’ll try to work some visuals in as I can, and promise to have pictures for the upcoming TR. I might have to raid my mom’s photo albums and scan some 1985 pics to stick in here sometime.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
mtgirl29
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a wonderful plan so far. We have actually planned a beach vacation after our Disney trip (May 29- June 3) I will need to relax after my "Drill Sargeant" hubby is done with us at Disney (ha!) ! My dh is a real Disney fanatic. I need to tell him about the DIS Dad Club. Cannot wait to read more!
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgirl29 View Post
Sounds like a wonderful plan so far. We have actually planned a beach vacation after our Disney trip (May 29- June 3) I will need to relax after my "Drill Sargeant" hubby is done with us at Disney (ha!) ! My dh is a real Disney fanatic. I need to tell him about the DIS Dad Club. Cannot wait to read more!
Welcome... both to the DIS and to my PTR. I'm a little harsh on my criticizm of the beach. It is definitely fun and relaxing, I just need it in moderation. It looks like your husband meets the first requirement for the DIS Dads Club. If he likes immature humor and fart jokes he could run the place.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

How Disney helped me negotiate a compromise and some Disney Magic

Just when I thought I was going to be sitting on a beach for a week, our good friends at Disney sent us a pin code for a 40% discount on stays at a Deluxe Resort. I started working on a spreadsheet (thanks to the example set by my fellow DIS Dads) and showed DW how we could stay at Wilderness Lodge for relatively cheap, and even comparable to what our usual place at the beach costs. DW isn’t quite as crazy about Disney as I am, so she wasn't quite sold on the idea. My compromise was to take a couple of days driving down, spend 2 nights at St. Pete Beach and then spend 5 nights at Wilderness Lodge. She was still a bit hesitant until I showed her all the pictures of the lobby and pool that were provided complements of the many WL lovers on the DIS. I have always loved the theme of WL and wanted to stay there, and I knew she’d feel the same way after I showed her the pictures.

We have never been to WL, and are really looking forward to it. DW loves the rustic look and our living room is decorated with things that look like they belong in the lobby of WL. I’ve noticed that some of the light fixtures with the cutouts of evergreen trees and animals on them are actually similar to a ceiling fan we have in our living room. We will definitely be very much at home there. With DS taking his first trip, it will be really nice to be just a boat ride away from MK. When I was little, I always thought that the Contemporary was the coolest thing ever. I mean it is a hotel with a monorail running through it!!!! I would have loved to stay at one of the monorail resorts, but the theme (and lower cost) of WL made it an easy choice for us.

I checked into booking the package through AAA because we've dealt with them in the past and I knew I could communicate with them by e-mail from work. I don't know why Disney won't allow you to use a pin code to book online instead of having to call in. When I looked at the AAA website after the pin code arrived and saw that January was Disney month, it was just some more incentive to book with them. We simply wanted a standard view room, but by the time we booked there were none available so we had to upgrade to the woods view. I’ve got to admit, it concerns me a bit that the Standard View rooms were already booked up nearly 11 months out. I just hope that it means there were none left for the discount rate and not necessarily an indication that crowds will be ridiculous. I guess I’ll be able to answer that question later in the TR.

I went to the AAA office on a Saturday morning to make the down payment on our reservation and secure my complementary Disney Gift Card. I shared this story with the DIS Dads already, but I got to experience some Disney magic that morning. I had to wait while the “Disney TA” took care of a family that was booking an October trip. They had a cute little girl with them who was probably 3 or 4 years old and apparently had no idea they were booking a trip to Disney World. She was acting kind of bored and impatient while mom and dad were working things out with the TA. Finally as their paperwork was printing the TA started handing out some materials including a kid’s travel guide for the little girl. Once she saw the pictures she began to open up a little bit and started asking questions. Her mom leaned over and started telling her about all the rides that were in the pictures and explained to her that they were going to Disney World and they were going to eat breakfast with Handy Manny. Apparently the magic words are “Handy Manny.” This shy, quiet little girl quickly began to resemble Chip (or Dale) after about 7 or 8 Red Bulls. She started running around the office telling anyone who was (or wasn’t) willing to listen that she is going to go to Disney World and eat breakfast with Handy Manny.

After they left, it was my turn with the TA. I sat down and we started chatting about that little girl. She told me she loves seeing children get excited like that, but it is going to be a long 9 months until she gets her breakfast.

This is the kind of thing I love about Disney. Just the thought of being there can give you that special feeling. It is almost like the goosebumps I get anytime I see the castle at the beginning of a Disney movie or hear “When you Wish Upon a Star.” I don’t know who that little girl was, but I think about her every time I sit down to write something for this PTR or work on planning for our trip. Her excitement was infectious and that is really what it is all about. I wasn’t at Disney and all I was doing was making my wallet a bit lighter that day, but still I came away feeling a healthy dose of Disney magic.

Next update: past visits to the mouse
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

I've only stayed one night at the Wilderness Lodge (Down on the DVC end), but it's an awesome hotel! You're going to love it!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

Hi! Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. Disney with a toddler is an interesting experience. I never wanted to be the people pushing the stroller, either, but once it came down to being the people with the stroller or not going to Disney for several years, it was an easy choice.

I had something similar happen when I booked our Oct. trip. I booked with a pin code over the phone with DRC and was told there were no standard view rooms available at CBR. I called back the next morning and there were standard view rooms available. Maybe it's some sort of Disney scheme, to claim standard view rooms are unavailable with the pin discount.
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
ZFamily5
DIS Veteran

Lucky getting a PIN code! We've never (to my knowledge) gotten one! Good job convincing your DW!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2750029

2013 Disneyland Paris PTR:
Pixie Dust in Paris!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47067772

2013 Disneyland Paris TR:
"She Ate Human!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135334
ZFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #23
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I've only stayed one night at the Wilderness Lodge (Down on the DVC end), but it's an awesome hotel! You're going to love it!
Well, it is on Disney property, so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
Hi! Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. Disney with a toddler is an interesting experience. I never wanted to be the people pushing the stroller, either, but once it came down to being the people with the stroller or not going to Disney for several years, it was an easy choice.

I had something similar happen when I booked our Oct. trip. I booked with a pin code over the phone with DRC and was told there were no standard view rooms available at CBR. I called back the next morning and there were standard view rooms available. Maybe it's some sort of Disney scheme, to claim standard view rooms are unavailable with the pin discount.
Yeah, I always thought the whole stroller thing looked like a pain, but an opportunity to visit Disney arose, and who am I to say no to that?
Good point about Disney blocking off standard rooms from the pin. I kind of hoped that was the case. It was only $100 more for the upgrade to Woods View for the week anyway, so it didn't bother me much. I guess that they probably counted on me having that attitude though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
Lucky getting a PIN code! We've never (to my knowledge) gotten one! Good job convincing your DW!
I'm pretty sure I've gotten them before and had no idea what it was. Some time on the DIS filled me in on the details and when this mailer came I was all over it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

WL is a beautiful resort. The lobby really takes your breath away... It is huge inside there!

I think the standard views are booked to the pin code rate. I would call the crowds at that time of year moderate. You should be OK.
that's nice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, it is on Disney property, so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll love it.
"its a small world" is on Disney property, too. I'm just sayin'...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #26
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
HEY!

I'll take Madison & Evan on IASW any time you don't want to be subjected to the music and the little people.
that's nice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
WL is a beautiful resort. The lobby really takes your breath away... It is huge inside there!

I think the standard views are booked to the pin code rate. I would call the crowds at that time of year moderate. You should be OK.
Well, honestly, I've only been during the summer before... and 1 of those times was over the 4th of July. One positive thing is that it can't be much more crowded than what I'm used to.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
HEY!

I'll take Madison & Evan on IASW any time you don't want to be subjected to the music and the little people.
I like some IASW... in moderation. Definitely a classic, but there's something about that song.
I only ride it 1 time per trip so that I'll have time to digest the music and get it out of my head.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #28
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Pictures? Did someone say they didn't have pictures? Here's a few just to whet your appetite for the WL...

Captain_Oblivious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Pictures? Did someone say they didn't have pictures? Here's a few just to whet your appetite for the WL...

+1 THANK YOU! For all the crap I give you, you're really not such a bad guy.

I can't wait to get there. I love the pool and the lobby. They just look like great places to spend some time taking in the sights. I might have to use phone pictures for the TR though, because if DW wants to take pictures of something else she tends to just erase pictures from the memory cards that she doesn't need. My need/want for a picture is insignificant.

I could grab her old 4 megapixel Canon when we go on our trip, but I think my phone is 3.2 megapixel so probably no point in dragging that old thing around.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #30
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
+1 THANK YOU! For all the crap I give you, you're really not such a bad guy.

I can't wait to get there. I love the pool and the lobby. They just look like great places to spend some time taking in the sights. I might have to use phone pictures for the TR though, because if DW wants to take pictures of something else she tends to just erase pictures from the memory cards that she doesn't need. My need/want for a picture is insignificant.

I could grab her old 4 megapixel Canon when we go on our trip, but I think my phone is 3.2 megapixel so probably no point in dragging that old thing around.
Woohoo! I got a point!

And I'm not a bad guy. Just misunderstood. And covered in crap, apparently.

Rule #1: Take lots of pictures! Rule #2: First, learn rule #1. Or get a bigger memory card.
Captain_Oblivious is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: