Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

A semi-4 generational trip 8/6-8/12

First of all, to answer what I believe is a question that is bound to come up: Yes, we are a little insane. Clearly, or we wouldn't be going to WDW with such a wild crew. Now, on to introductions.

First, you have me. I'm 29 and have been to WDW on over 30 trips. I'm the planner, and I'm also the one that "forced" this trip. I knew we needed a vacation, and, following the loss of my mother in May of this year, I really wanted to have an escape vacation, and that's why I knew I had to go to WDW. So...I figured out how to make the financing and timing work, and pretty much made up DH's mind for him. Mean old me making him go to WDW. I'm a school psychologist and just started working the school year instead of all year, so loving having some planned time off during the summer.

That brings us to DH. He's also 29, and he's an engineer. He works really hard and has a pretty high stress job, so he also needed a vacation. His problem is that he gets very anxious about DS and what he can and can't do.

DS is a 15month old bundle of fun. He's loud, energetic, and super charming. He flirts constantly. We are absolutely enamored with him. Because of my mom getting ill and our spending more time at my dad's house, he hasn't been on any vacations. He has only spent the night at home and at my dad's, so vacation is definitely a new experience for him, and traveling with a little one is a new experience for all of us.

So there's the first 2 generations. Then we add my dad, and my grandmother. That's where we hit the "semi" part of the semi-4 generational trip. My grandmother is actually my mother's mother, my dad's mother-in-law. It definitely complicates matters with the rooming situation, as they clearly aren't sharing. Because of that, we had 3 rooms-one for us, one for dad, and one for grandmother. Because of her surgeries, she requires a walker (and should probably use a wheelchair or ECV, but is much too stubborn).

We arrived separately for this trip, as DH and I flew down with DS, and my dad and grandmother drove down from across NC.

As this trip began, we had the following ADRs:
8/7 - Le Cellier (Lunch)
8/8 - Crystal Palace (Dinner)
8/9 - Wolfgang Puck Cafe (Dinner)
8/10 - California Grill (Dinner)
8/11 - Biergarten (Dinner)

As you will soon see, there are some changes to this plan to come. Coming up next will be details of our arrival day and the beginning of the reviews!
WDWAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Can't wait!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

I figured I should include a complete list of all of the restaurants that will be reviewed, basically in order. Some other things will be thrown in, but these are the basics:

Wolfgang Puck Express (x2)
Le Cellier (lunch)
Pecos Bill
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner)
Flame Tree Barbecue
Wolfgang Puck Cafe
Backlot Express
California Grill
Sunshine Seasons
Everything POP Food Court

Now, for a little more background on our crew, we are probably not what would be described as foodies. None of us eat any seafood at all, and we're perfectly happy with most chain restaurants. We don't tend to eat out at the trendier places, as we are fairly basic eaters. We got pics of a few of our meals, but not too many. Now...on to the trip!!

We flew out of NC around 11am on 8/6. We landed around 12:30 at MCO after a fairly rough flight in terms of DS's behavior. Let's just say he's not a huge fan of flying. After flying with him, we're not sure we're fans of flying, either. Anyway, food was needed before we headed to the ME. The closest food court area had a McDonald's, and we grabbed that out of desperation. I had chicken nuggets and fries (shared with DS) and DH had one of the angus burgers. Everything was typical McDonald's. DS did finally start eating, which made him a little more pleasant to be around. The ME ride on the other hand...let's just leave it there, since this is a dining review!!

After checking in at POP and putting down our carryons, we headed for the bus to DTD. Our plan for dinner was Wolfgang Puck Express. We have had very good meals there over the years, and it tends to be one of our standards. When we got in, DH quickly decided on the bacon wrapped meatloaf, and I got the Pennate Chicken Alfredo, knowing DS would eat the pasta, if nothing else. For dessert, DH ordered a brownie, as he doesn't do dairy, but they were out, so he ended up with a cookie. I got the creme brulee, which will be a theme throughout the week.

We found a great table and seated ourselves. I had the tropical tea to drink, which I love, but I, as a true southern girl, wish it came pre-sweetened. DH had a soda. After being seated, our food arrived promptly. It was very hot and fresh. My pasta had penne noodles, chicken, peas, and a little crunchy bacon scattered on top. It was great! DS has never had alfredo sauce, but he loved it! He gobbled up the pasta I gave him, and handed me back the peas I gave him. HA! I don't really like peas either. DH's meatloaf was really good, and I can't say we're the type to get meatloaf somewhere other than our house. I do have pics of these meals that I'll add in a bit, as the pics are taking FOREVER to download to my computer. My creme brulee was good, but needed to be a bit more firm for my taste.

Overall, WPE was a hit, as always. We will definitely be back (and did go back the next night). I have never had a meal there I didn't like, and this one proved to be no exception.

After finishing dessert and shopping a bit, we hopped back on the bus to meet my dad and grandmother who had arrived at POP while we were out. They ate dinner at the foodcourt at POP. All I know is that they had Chinese and that it was fine. They didn't seem thrilled with it.

Up next: Our first day in the parks, at Epcot! Le Cellier and another WPE experience.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
WDWAurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
Can't wait!!

WOOHOO, I'm not writing this just for myself! Hopefully I'll get it all finished by Thursday, when I have to go back to work!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your reviews.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
WDWAurora

Let's see if these pics work:

My Chicken Alfredo:

DH's Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf:

Ok, they don't. I'll try to get that figured out, but in the meantime, I'm starting the next post.

Last edited by WDWAurora; 08-14-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
hotveggy
Disney Lover

I remember you from the ttc board. Can't believe your ds is 15 mos already!
You are braver than I am- I can't wait to take my girls to wdw but I am scared!

1984- off site,1991- off site,1998- off site,1999- visiting friend on CP,2001- off site with college roomie
2002- ASMo (first trip with DH),2003- ASMo,5/2005- POR/Disney Wonder (Honeymoon),12/2005- POP
2007- SSR,2008- ASMo (Grand Gathering)
hotveggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
WDWAurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotveggy View Post
I remember you from the ttc board. Can't believe your ds is 15 mos already!
You are braver than I am- I can't wait to take my girls to wdw but I am scared!
I can't believe he is, either! Crazy how time flies!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
WDWAurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWAurora View Post
I can't believe he is, either! Crazy how time flies!!
Ok, on to our first park day. My dad and grandmother grabbed pastries using snack credits at the POP food court (if I didn't mention it, we did the dining plan-the basic one with 1 CS and 1 TS). DH and I did cereal bars from home. We headed out fairly early for Epcot, and made it right at rope drop. After hitting a few rides with DS (his first rides! Very exciting!), we made our way over to Le Cellier.

We were a few minutes early for our ADR and there were only a couple of other groups there, as the restaurant hadn't opened yet. We were scheduled right at 11:30. We waited a few minutes and the waiting area started getting fairly crowded. Then, it started seeming like EVERY member of the waitstaff was coming in, too. It was insanely packed! Now, I don't have issues with crowds, but this was getting a little ridiculous. Finally, the last member of the wait staff must have finally made it up there and they sang the Canadian national anthem. It was actually very nice. After that, it seemed like everyone was seated, and we were still sitting there. FINALLY, we were seated. I was able to order a Red Maple for my drink, which was really nice, especially on such a hot day! DS enjoyed the sips I gave him, as well (since it was so hot, I literally allowed him to drink anything he wanted, including from our sodas-anything to keep him hydrated!).

I ordered the mushroom filet, as I'm a mushroom fanatic anyway. DH and my dad ordered the NY strip, although my dad subbed his mashed potatoes for potato salad. My grandmother did the prix fixe menu (did I spell that right?) and ordered some kind of sausage skillet appetizer, the steak and potatoes skillet, and the chocolate moose for dessert. For our other desserts, we had 2 creme brulees and one sorbet. We added on a side of macaroni and cheese to be sure DS had enough to eat. Our bread came out first, and was really good. I was a little surprised at the mix, though. They brought 1 wheat roll. Really? 1, for 4 people? A little odd. I think we had maybe 2 sourdough and 3 pretzel bread sticks. I tried the sourdough and pretzel, and really liked both.

Grandmother's appetizer came out first. I'm not really sure why she ordered it, as she doesn't care for sausage, and has difficulty eating spicy foods. She ended up giving it to DH because she couldn't eat it. DH liked it. Our steaks were great! The mushroom filet and risotto were absolutely perfect. I have heard the risotto is a little salty, and it probably is, but I like salty foods, so it was perfect for me. DH and my dad enjoyed their NY strip steaks and said they were extremely tender. DH's potatoes were good, and dad did like the potato salad, which was more of a German style. Grandmother's was unremarkable.

Now, the macaroni side we ordered for DS...The waitress really talked it up. I was excited. Baked with panko bread crumbs on top? Sounds delicious! In reality? Flavorless. Now, DS ate it, as he'll eat noodles, no matter the preparation. What he ate was all that was consumed, however, and it was kind of a waste. We didn't order anything especially for him the rest of the trip. Considering my plate wasn't loaded with food, though, I'm surprised I didn't eat more of it. It was just blah.

On to dessert! Grandmother's moose was adorable, and she gobbled it up, with the exception of the cookie antlers, which DS ate. Our creme brulees were, again, just ok. I knew going in that I'm not a fan of maple. I eat it, I like maple syrup, but I prefer straight up creme brulee. DH's sorbet was also fine. Not exciting, but his non-dairy options were limited.

I'll throw in that the restroom facilities are pretty nice at Le Cellier. DS needed to be changed twice while we were there, so I got a good look at the bathroom!

Oh, and another side note...A man and his wife/girlfriend were eating beside us wearing matching kilts. My 81 year old grandmother, who has lost all sense of tact, kept talking about the man in his skirt sitting beside us. We were hoping he wouldn't hear her! It was a little embarrassing but pretty funny!

Coming up soon-Our second dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
candy0730
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far! Can't wait to read the rest.

September 2009 - CSR
September 2010 - CSR/CR
September 2011 - POR
March 2012 - Disneyland - Hojos
September 2012 - AoA
July 2013 - braving summer crowds at DL- FFI
candy0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
WDWAurora

We left the parks after venturing in the extreme heat around to Mexico, then to China (skipping Norway) where we stopped for LARGE sodas. We needed them! It was so insanely hot. We went to Germany. DH's family is German (his father was actually adopted from Germany, so he's technically 1st generation born in America), so he enjoys the culture. He had to buy a stein, as he has started collecting them. Our crew was just too hot to continue, so we hopped on the Friendship boat and rode back to the other side and headed for the gates.

After resting back at POP for a while, we were ready to think about dinner. Dad and Grandmother were disappointed to have missed WPE the night before, and we all needed a little DTD shopping time, so...we headed over. Three of us were in the mood for pizza, so Dad & Grandmother had pepperoni, and I had pepperoni and mushroom. DH had the rotisserie chicken. I was extremely impressed by the pizzas! They were absolutely delicious. There was some chopped red pepper on them, and a really flavorful sauce. And, unlike some pizzas, the toppings were right, percentage-wise. I could seriously go for one right now. I haven't ordered pizza there before, as I used to always order the BBQ chicken quesadilla, then started ordering pasta. Now I'm going to have a hard time NOT ordering pizza!

DH's chicken was good. It was the normal WP rotisserie chicken, like what is, or used to be, served at Wolfgang Puck Cafe. I can't eat it because of the rosemary (I think I'm allergic) but DH liked it, but liked the mashed potatoes more. For desserts, Dad and I had creme brulee (again, a theme), while grandmother had frozen yogurt and DH had another cookie. Nothing too exciting, although I will say that the creme brulee was the right degree of firm this time.

After some shopping (hello lots of soap from Basin) we headed back to the hotel to get DS to bed.

Up next: Park day 2, Magic Kingdom, and our first change of dining plans
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
phabric
DIS Veteran

I have enjoyed reading your reviews. Keep it up.
phabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far! I can't wait for more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: