Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #91
Montegut
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your reviews!

We're going in October to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We are doing the Deluxe Dining Plan. Thank you so much for your reviews. We are from the Gulf Coast and love seafood, so we are really enjoying your reviews from that standpoint. Since we are also celebrating a special occasion, I love your viewpoint from that aspect as well. We are staying at the Contemporary, and I'm going to try to talk hubby into Crystal Palace Breakfast one day, and as you advised, not an EMH day. Thanks again for your reviews!
Montegut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #92
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Mama Melrose Lunch

I cannot believe I have not written a review in so long. I apologize for being MIA. We have had a lot going on.....

So anyway, back to the reviews. I only have a few left.

We decided to go to Mama Melrose for lunch. I had been here many years back for dinner and thought it was fantastic. One of our goals this trip was to try to fit in as many new-to-us places we could. DH had never been here, he loves pizza, and a decent lunch at HS is hard to find.

We didn't want to completely stuff our faces at this meal because we had big plans for dinner, so we split the Calamari for Two.

Now, I've not had a lot of calamari. But THIS was good. It was very crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. And the sauce!! The sauce was fantasic. It might be a tad spicy for some, but I really loved it.

For his entree, guess what DH ordered....

Pizza!!! Of course! This is actually the Carne d'Italia Flatbread. He loved it! It had pepperoni, Italian sausage, and pancetta with that delicious spicy sauce. I had a bit and I have to admit, it was good pizza. Much better than the pizza at the counter service locations in DWorld. He pollished off the whole thing, can you believe it?!? I can!

For my entree, I got the penne alla vodka.

OMG. Seriously, I had doubts about ordering this because of the word vodka (bad college memories, know what i mean?) but, it was so deliciously fantastic. It was made with pancetta and sweet onions with a delicious sauce of basil, cream, tomatoes, and vodka. I'm telling you, it did not taste like vodka at all, so don't let that deter you. This was one instance where I wished i could have taken my leftovers. This would have been fabulous the next day!

For DH's dessert, he got the chocolate amaretti cheesecake.

As you know, I'm not much of a cheesecake fan, but it was okay. DH ate most of it. He seemed to enjoy it.

I got the Mama's Panna Cotta.

It was sort of a make-shift tiramisu. I like this one better than the cheesecake, but I seem to really enjoy the custard-y desserts. Also, this went very well with my after-lunch expresso.

We both enjoyed this dining experience and we would definitely go back again. While it's not at the top of our list, it would definitely be a place we would return to if we needed to eat somewhere in HS.

Next up....Cali Grill!!!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #93
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Mama Melrose's looks really tasty! That pizza looks good, I think I know what I'm having for a snack tonight Just wish it was that one in your pic, yum!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #94
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Mama Melrose's looks really tasty! That pizza looks good, I think I know what I'm having for a snack tonight Just wish it was that one in your pic, yum!
Same here!!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #95
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Mama Melrose has never really been somewhere on my radar, but your meal looks pretty good!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #96
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 5 Dinner: Cali Grill

If you read my last dining review, you may remember that I was a bit underwhelmed by Cali Grill on our honeymoon. DH wanted to give it another shot (as did I) since we were lucky enough to be on the DxDP again.

Things immediately started out better this time when we we sat right by the window with a perfect view of the castle. Not that there is anything wrong with the wine room...it's nice and all, just not where I want to sit while dining at CG. So, that just made my night!

Our server was Jillian. She seemed to be pretty rushed that night... her personality was a bit meh, but...she was a very heavy wine pourer. This made her one of our favorite servers of the trip.

For his appetizer, DH got the Dungeness Crab Stack.

This was basically a pile of cold crab meat with avacado, cucumber, and a tomato-ginger vinaigrette. DH didn't necessaily dislike this, but I know for a fact he wouldn't order it again.

It's hard to compete with my appetizer...the spicy kazan roll (with no tuna).

OMG. Seriously. This was the best dish I have ever had in my whole life. If you have already had it, you know what I mean. If you haven't had it (or are afraid to get it as I was last year), just bite the bullet and get it. Seriously. It is so good that I would make a special trip to Cali Grill (from Delaware) just to get this.

For his entree, DH had some kind of veal.

It is no longer on the menu, so I cannot give you the full scoop. But I can tell you, he LOVED it. I'm pretty sure he said it was even better than Citricos.

For my entree, I got the snapper.

This came with a crab risotto and was good, but it also had a corn base. (Will I ever learn?!?) I loved the fish, but the corn base made it something I would probably not order again.

For our first dessert, we got the creme brulee.

I think it was vanilla bean. We got it last year, and it was just as good as I remembered.

Our other dessert was some sort of a lemon trio (I think).

We both love lemon, so I'm sure it was good, but I don't even remember a single bite of it.

While we ate our dessert, we were able to watch Wishes from our table. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic night.

I would definitely go back to Cali Grill. I think it has now taken over my top choice for best dining experience on property. I'm so glad we gave it another go. We just had a mediocre experience last time. This was so great. I cannot wait to go back again. On our next trip, this will definitely be a must-do and be at the top of my list.

Our total for this dinner was $281.43. (OMG!!!) We ended up using 4 dining credits and paying $125 plus tip oop (we drank A LOT of wine).
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #97
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Cali Grill looks so delicious! But WOW, that is a lot of wine!

Also, I went back and re-read your Mama Melrose review and it was super helpful! Our next upcoming trip I found out my brother is joining us - which is great, but he is the pickiest adult eater in the world and pretty much only eats pizza. So I'm desperate to find some places where he can enjoy a meal with us. Mama Melrose's looks like a good choice for that!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #98
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Cali Grill looks so delicious! But WOW, that is a lot of wine!

Also, I went back and re-read your Mama Melrose review and it was super helpful! Our next upcoming trip I found out my brother is joining us - which is great, but he is the pickiest adult eater in the world and pretty much only eats pizza. So I'm desperate to find some places where he can enjoy a meal with us. Mama Melrose's looks like a good choice for that!
Yes...it was a lot of wine. We each had 3 glasses at about $14-16 each. The funny thing is at home I get a 1L bottle of wine that costs $7.99. I'm no sure I've ever even gotten a whole bottle that was $16...let alone a glass! Oh well, this was our big splurge of the vacation. We don't buy souvenirs...we buy alcohol.

Glad MM looks good to you. It's definitely a great place to go if someone in your party is picky. My DH is quite the pizza critic and if he liked it, I'm sure your family member will. Have fun!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #99
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
(As a side note, I have to tell you that we got some super-terrific snacks on this trip. I didn't take pics of all of them, nor will I probably remember all of them, but I will sure try to highlight some of the...well...highlights! Our first day we enjoyed one of the best snacks of our entire trip...the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzels. OMG, they are so good. We never got the chance to get another one during the remainder of our trip, but we sure talked about them the whole time.)
First off, I'm really enjoying your reviews, and Jiko is up there as one of my favorite places to eat in Disney!

I was laughing at your jalapeno pretzel comments, as we encountered THE SAME THING... I'm still talking about them, actually. And, I learned a little known secret about the JP goodness.... you can get them in Epcot!!! I believe it's at the Fife and Drum kiosk over in the American Adventure pavilion.

Had I known this on our last trip we wouldn't have had to make a trip to AK on our final vacation day JUST for the pretzel.

Can't wait to read more!
jenneth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #100
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
First off, I'm really enjoying your reviews, and Jiko is up there as one of my favorite places to eat in Disney!

I was laughing at your jalapeno pretzel comments, as we encountered THE SAME THING... I'm still talking about them, actually. And, I learned a little known secret about the JP goodness.... you can get them in Epcot!!! I believe it's at the Fife and Drum kiosk over in the American Adventure pavilion.

Had I known this on our last trip we wouldn't have had to make a trip to AK on our final vacation day JUST for the pretzel.

Can't wait to read more!
I would love to have one right now! We actually saw them in Epcot but it was after we had just stuffed our faces at one restaurant or another (thank you DxDP!) so I didn't go for it. The embarassing thing is I seriously contemplated it.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #101
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
Yes...it was a lot of wine. We each had 3 glasses at about $14-16 each. The funny thing is at home I get a 1L bottle of wine that costs $7.99. I'm no sure I've ever even gotten a whole bottle that was $16...let alone a glass! Oh well, this was our big splurge of the vacation. We don't buy souvenirs...we buy alcohol.

Glad MM looks good to you. It's definitely a great place to go if someone in your party is picky. My DH is quite the pizza critic and if he liked it, I'm sure your family member will. Have fun!
I know what you mean about the price of the wine too. I didn't really drink much wine on our last trip, stuck to some of the other drinks, so I wasn't checking out the prices too much. But yeah, I think the most I've ever paid for a bottle at home is $12!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #102
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Lunch at Teppan Edo

I will finish these reviews. Today. I promise.

After some shuffling, we decided to swith up our original plans and try something new. We ended up getting a lunch ADR for Teppan Edo. I was excited about going here because I LOVE most Asian food. DH was excited because he enjoyed our local "Tokyo Steakhouse" and thought an establishment such as this in D-World would just be over-the-top.

The food was great, however our chef was not the best. At first we thought it was just the style of the place. But, as we looked around, we saw we just got a dud.

I got the assorted tempura.

It was yummy. I know it had shrimp and chicken, but I cannot remember what else. I do remember the tempura coating was very light, flakey, and delicious. BTW...you see my iced green tea in the photo. It was delicious!

DH got the Wafu ribs for his appetizer. Sorry, I have no pic. I think it freaked him out a bit to take photos of his food while other people were at the table. Anyway, DH LOVES ribs and he was perfectly happy with them. I didn't get a bite but they had a sake/soy/ginger sauce that smelled delish.

For our entrees, I got the shrimp and DH got the swordfish. They were both served with yummy noodles and mixed veggies. Although DH's fish was good, we both thought my shrimp were far superior.

For dessert, DH got the chocolate ginger cake.

I cannot remember who ate most of this (but I can guess). I do remember it was really good. I do remember it wasn't too gingery and had a great moist, almost creamy, texture.

I got the green tea pudding.

I loved it, but DH did not. He does not like iced tea, hot tea, green tea, etc., so I knew he would never like it. It didn't really have much flavor, but sort of remined me of flan.

Although we enjoyed our food and walked away completely stuffed, I do not think we will return to Teppan Edo. It was way to similar to our local chain place to take up valuable ADR space. I sort of wish we had eaten at Tokyo dining instead.

(Side note: the bathrooms here are awesome. Make sure you check them out.)

Our lunch cost would have us $96.12 oop before tip. This was a great DDP deal!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #103
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Dinner at Narcoosee's

Narcoosee's was one of our favorite dinners last trip, so we were definitely excited about this one. Since we live in a beach resort area, I think this place just feels familiar and comfortable to us. Plus, we loved the food and service last time.

Unfortunately, we had a much different experience this time around. First and foremost, our server was by far the worst of our trip. She was not friendly, did not bring refills on our drink until we had asked 3 times, and made us wait FOREVER for the check. It's very unfortunate that a bad server can ruin a fun meal.

For his appetizer, DH got the crab legs. He was in heaven. He loved these and ate every bite. One of the best things about these crab legs, is that the work is done for you. All you have to do is dig in and enjoy.

I got the shrimp and crab chowder.
I enjoyed this so much last time, but it was not quite as good as I remembered. Don't get me wrong, I liked it...I would just try something differerent if we ever went back.

For his entree, DH got the surf and turf, as he got last time.

This is what he learned...he just doesn't like lobster. Being from the eastern shore of Delaware, we are crab people. Lobster is just a completely different texture and flavor, and it just doesn't cut it for us. The steak was super-yummy though.

For my entree, I got the crab-crusted flounder.

This was good. Not great, just good. I would probably kill for this for tonight's dinner, but that night I just wasn't feeling it. In fact, I wasn't feeling Narcoosee's as a whole that night. I really do blame it on the service.

For our desserts, I got the creme brulee duo.

I loved this. The coconut one was sooo delicious. Plus, it was like 2 desserts in one!!

DH got the almond encrusted cheesecake.

I did not have any of this as I am not a fan of cheesecake or almonds. However, DH seemed to enjoy it.

Narcoossee's, oh Narcoossee's.....why did you have to disappoint so much on this trip? It wasn't a horrible dinner, but we left feeling some sort of way. I don't think we will be back for a while. This is just not the same caliber as CA Grill or Citricos, so we left feeling like we didn't get our 2-credits worth. I'm sure we will be back someday, but we would much rather have used those 2 credits to go back to one of the other places.

We would have spent $147.28 oop, not including 2 beers and the tip.

Last edited by heatherandnick; 01-15-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #104
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Last Day :( Le Cellier Lunch

We always end our trips with Le Cellier, and this was no exception. We didn't want to fork over 2 credits each for dinner, so we went for lunch.

We know and love this place so much that we get the same thing every time.

Both of us got a bowl of the cheddar cheese soup.

OMG. This is the best soup ever. I make it at home every month or so and we absolutely love it. Expecially with the pretzel bread. We got wise this time and asked for only pretzel bread. No need to fill up on the others when we know which is our favorite!

DH got the NY Strip.

He said it was okay, not great.

I got the filet with no mushrooms and mashed potatoes.

As long as I can get this, I will. I love it so much. It is the perfect cut of meat (for me) and the potatoes are divine. One of my favorite entrees ever.

For dessert, we got the chocolate moose and the

and some sort of chocolate cake (maybe it had Jack Daniels in it?)

I remember nothing about the chocolate cake (shocking, I know), but the chocolate moose is so yummy. I just love it.

Le Cellier is still one of our favorites. No, I'm not willing to use 2 credits for it, but I'm also not willing to give it up. We love the food, the atmosphere, and the service. We will definitely be back.

OOP, our meal would have cost us $98.19.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #105
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Final Thoughts

So, that's it. The dining review is finished.

I apologize for dragging it out for so long. I know why it happened... We don't know when we will be back. It will be a while. As strange as it seems, I think I (subconsciously) drug out these reviews to sort of "hold on" to this trip. D-World is my happy place. I don't even have to actually be there...planning for a trip makes me happy. It sucks that sometimes when we need our happy place the most, it's out of our reach.

Our favorites this trip were: CA Grill and Citricos

Places we will always go are: Crystal Palace Breakfast, Brown Derby, and Le Cellier

Next time I want to try: The Wave, Kona Cafe, and Tokyo Dining

Places we didn't make it to this time, but we want to definitely go back to next trip are: Sanaa and Flying Fish

One day we will go to: Victoria and Alberts

Thoughts on DxDP: It rocks. Well, for us it does. We are totally down with the late breakfast/early lunch and a signature dinner. It worked perfectly for us.

Thanks to you all for reading. Hopefully it won't be too long before I am back on the boards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: