Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #76
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Good to see your review of HBD. I agree that there aren't many great TS options in HS, so for the next trip that we're planning we're considering this one. Either that or we may venture out of the park for dinner, thinking about hitting up the boardwalk or something. I do have to admit that I think that grapefruit cake looks delicious, but then I absolutely adore grapefruit! And I would love to try that cobb salad, I've heard so many good things.
If you love grapefruit, then I say go for the cake. I have seen many great reviews of it.

Definitely go for the Cobb salad. It's HUGE but only counts as one appetizer credit if you go DxDP. Plenty for two! Plus, they are more than happy to leave off an item if you so choose (we opted for no blue cheese). Have fun!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #77
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 4: CP Breakfast

My favorite breakfast on property is Crystal Palace. I think this is one of those things that I will always insist upon when we travel to D-World.

Here is why:
1.) I love, love, love walking down an almost empty Main Street before the park is open.

2.) It's great to be already in the park, ready to go, with full bellies by the time the park is officially open.

3.) I think the food here is far superior to the other breakfast buffets on property. I especially enjoy the puffed french toast and the vegetable frittata.

I'm sorry I have no pictures, but I'm not one to take photos of my plate from the buffet. It never really looks all that appealing once I have it all scrunched up on my plate.

There is nothing that really stood out for us this trip to CP...except the OJ was good and the food was yummy. The service was nothing spectacular, but then again, it's a buffet. I agree with other posters and suggest asking for your check at the beginning of the meal. When I'm ready to get out of CP, I'm ready to get out...I didn't care much for having to wait 10 minutes or so for the check.

DH pretty much just goes along with me on this one (He's a good sport.)...He's not a huge breakfast fan. Also, I think he could do without the characters. Actually, we both could do without them. I don't see the appeal unless you have kids (just my opinion, sorry). To us it is awkard to interact with them and it disrupts the meal. We either dodge them by taking a trip to the buffet when we see them coming or by just giving a friendly wave as they walk by.

Characters or no characters, this is, and always will be, a must do for me...unless we find a better option. For those of you who decide to go for it, just make sure you don't have an ADR on a day of early EMH...that would be such a waste unless you don't care about the whole walking-down-Main-Street "thing."

Our total OOP would have been $48.97 (plus tip).

Last edited by heatherandnick; 10-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #78
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
My favorite breakfast on property is Crystal Palace. I think this is one of those things that I will always insist upon when we travel to D-World.

Here is why:
1.) I love, love, love walking down an almsot empty Main Street before the park is open.

2.) It's great to be already in the park, ready to go, with full bellies by the time the park is officially open.

3.) I think the food here is far superior to the other breakfast buffets on property. I especially enjoy the puffed french toast and the vegetable frittata.
I completely agree! CP is my fav breakfast at Disney too. I would go for the Puffed French Toast alone.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #80
Merida
DIS Veteran

The pork at the Brown Derby looks delicious! I love pork but we don't make it very often so it's a very "special occasion" food now. The grapefruit cake looks very pretty but I'm really only a fan of grapefruit in small doses so I guess I'll skip that one.

Yay! I'm glad you rec Crystal Palace - that's our one buffet/character meal reserved just to get into Magic Kingdom early. Do you ask for the characters to skip you? We aren't big character people either (I never know what to do with them!) and I would rather have a quicker breakfast/more empty park time than a meet and greet with Tigger.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #81
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
The pork at the Brown Derby looks delicious! I love pork but we don't make it very often so it's a very "special occasion" food now. The grapefruit cake looks very pretty but I'm really only a fan of grapefruit in small doses so I guess I'll skip that one.

Yay! I'm glad you rec Crystal Palace - that's our one buffet/character meal reserved just to get into Magic Kingdom early. Do you ask for the characters to skip you? We aren't big character people either (I never know what to do with them!) and I would rather have a quicker breakfast/more empty park time than a meet and greet with Tigger.
The pork WAS delicious!

We don't ask for the characters to skip us. I think that by us just giving a friendly little wave, not reaching for a camera/autograph book, and not putting our forks down, they kinda get the hint.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #82
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Day 4 Dinner: Citricos

Citricos was the last signature on our list that we had yet to try, so we were really looking forward to this one. Not only was it a new and exciting experience for us, but the menu sounded simply divine!

We had the earliest dinner time offered, so we walked into a completely empty dining room. It was very cool! The colors and the decor were really nice...sort of warm, colorful, and modern all at once. We sat right beside the open kitchen and loved it. It was really neat to watch the chefs prepare all of the yummy food and interact with each other.

Our server was Nancy. She was very attentive and very nice; however, she had a lovely accent that was very hard to understand. She gave us everything we needed/wanted during the meal, without hovering.

The chef started us out with a complimentary amuse bouche.

I cannot remember what it was...perhaps a scallop? or perhaps it was cheese? Either way, it was delicious and it was a real treat. This was our first amuse bouche EVER!!

For his appetizer, DH got the Blue Crab Pave.

He seemed to enjoy this. It was sort of like a cold crab cake salad. The piquillo vinaigrette (the red stuff) had a bit of a kick to it, which I really liked. Although he said it was good, I think he would try something else next time.

We both like my appetizer better... the sauteed shrimp.

Dang, this was so good. The mix of lemon, white wine, and feta cheese is unbeatable anyway. Throw in some shrimp and you've got yourself one GREAT appetizer. I would definitely order this again. In a heartbeat.

For his entree, DH got the veal shank.

First of all, the presentation of this dish just made us say, "Wow!" DH LOVED this dish. He proclaims it one of his favorites of the trip. He ate every bite. Nancy even gave him a little fork to use for the bone marrow. I tried it....it had a strange consistency but a good flavor. DH would probably, no, definitely get this again when (not if) we come back. I don't even think he would try anything else he enjoyed this so much. I love when my man is happy!

For my entree, I got the braised short ribs (again).

I thought the short ribs at Jiko were good...well...these were even better! They were soooooo good. One of my favorite entrees of the trip as well. The ribs were so tender they almost fell apart just looking at them. The polenta and mustard greens were the perfect accompaniments, and the orange demi-glace gave a lovely sweetness to the whole dish. I would definitely go with this next time. It was very, very good.

For DH's dessert, he got the lemon-scented cheesecake (I think).

I am not the biggest cheesecake fan, so I'm not really sure I tried it. He thought it was good, as he loves lemon and cheesecake. I'm pretty sure he ate it all, which is saying something since he probably had his entire entree and part of mine.

My dessert was the warm chocolate banana tart.

Just look at that chocolate sculpture!!! It was love at first sight. And it was sooooo deliciously good. Very rich, very chocolatey, with some soft bananas nestled in the center. Mmmmmm. Definitely get this if you like chocolate and banana. Mmmmm. So so good.

Our Citricos experience was top-notch all the way around. The atmosphere, the service, and the food were more than we ever expected. This just jumped the ranks to one of our top D-World restaurants. Did it make number one? Perhaps. Did somewhere else impress us even more? Perhaps. All I can tell you right now is to definitely try to work Citricos into your ADRs if you are doing the signatures. I cannot believe we left this one out last time. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be on our must-do ADR list next time.

Total cost $153.02 plus tip.

Last edited by heatherandnick; 10-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #83
UndercoverMama
Mouseketeer

Wow those signature meals look great. Just a few more years until I can leave the kids and go eat at one with DH

I wish "Cam" was my server I hate mango too but I am pretty sure he could talk me into it.

I also liked the good Crystal palace review. Definitely want to try to go there next time.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #84
MyFriendEeyoreUK
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to say a quick 'thanks' for these reviews. Looks like you had some truly amazing meals! Would love to try some Signatures but may wait until we can go kid-free. Only about 14 years to wait then, LOL!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #85
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Thanks so much for the Citricos Review
We have been going back and forth trying to decide if we should try it or not
Your review is making me think we should give it a shot
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #86
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Citricos has never been on the top of my list of places to try just because nothing from their menu really gets my mouth watering. But that chocolate banana dessert is just amazing! I would definitely love to try that
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #87
klacey1
DIS Veteran

So subscribing!!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #88
MylilTink
Mouseketeer

Great review! We're heading back in a couple of months and Jiko is on our list & I can't wait!
MylilTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #89
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndercoverMama View Post
Wow those signature meals look great. Just a few more years until I can leave the kids and go eat at one with DH

I wish "Cam" was my server I hate mango too but I am pretty sure he could talk me into it.

I also liked the good Crystal palace review. Definitely want to try to go there next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFriendEeyoreUK View Post
Just wanted to say a quick 'thanks' for these reviews. Looks like you had some truly amazing meals! Would love to try some Signatures but may wait until we can go kid-free. Only about 14 years to wait then, LOL!
Thanks for reading! The signatures are definitely awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Thanks so much for the Citricos Review
We have been going back and forth trying to decide if we should try it or not
Your review is making me think we should give it a shot
I think you should! I know everyone likes different things, but I have seen many, many great reviews of this place. It doesn't have the "hype" of Cali Grill or Le Cellier and I htink that why many people don't try it. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Citricos has never been on the top of my list of places to try just because nothing from their menu really gets my mouth watering. But that chocolate banana dessert is just amazing! I would definitely love to try that
It was divine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
So subscribing!!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilTink View Post
Great review! We're heading back in a couple of months and Jiko is on our list & I can't wait!
Jiko is definitely a "can't miss" for us. Love it!!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #90
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

A Quick Snack Update

So, one of our goals this trip was to use the snack credits for delicious snacks. We also wanted to get our money's worth. We didn't want to use up our credits on bottles of water, but we also didn't want to have 12 credits left on our last day. I must say, we did a darn good job. Here's some of what we got....

Jalepeno Stuffed Pretzels - I know I already mentioned these in our Jiko review, but OMG. Definitely get one of these. They aren't too easy to find. We got ours in AK, but also saw them near the America pavillion at Epcot.

Frozen Coca-Colas - Another one of our favorites. This is much more enjoyable for us than just a run-of-the-mill drink. We usually try to find one of these when we need some refreshment.

Coke Floats- Got a couple of these. Wow, were they good. Coca-Cola and ice cream...what more could anyone want?!

Baked goods from France - I got the Napoleon and DH got the Ham and Cheese something. I think I included pics in one of the reviews... It was awesome. A great use of snack credits.

Popcorn - We always get a TON of popcorn. It is just sooooo good and so Disney to me.

Caramel Corn from the Caramel Shop in Germany - Okay, I was really really disappointed in this. As a disclaimer, you must know we are completely spoiled when it come to caramel corn. We live about 2 miles from Fisher's Popcorn and a few more miles from Dolle's Popcorn at the Delaware beaches. So, needless to say, we KNOW good caramel corn. This was not good. It was way too sticky and soggy. My jaws were tired after only a few pieces. I threw most of it out. I had read such good things about this stuff, I was was bummed it was so bad.

Bagel and Cinnamon roll from Sunshine Seasons - So it wasn't Main Street Bakery, but it hit the spot. We were hungry and this was pretty much our only option. I think Epcot needs a good bakery somewhere in Future World.

Butterfinger Cupcake at Starring Rolls - Another winner! After hearing so much about it, I was determined to try it this trip. I'm so glad I did. It was very, very sweet and rich, but I loved it. Thankfully DH helped me because there is no way I could have done it on my own. I definitely was on a sugar high for a while afterwards!

Eclair from MSB - DH got this. It was good but he only gave me a bite.

I think that's pretty much it. Snack credits rock. I love them. I think thats one of the things I would miss most if we fecided to forgo the dining plan in the future.

There are some things that are still on my must-try snack list. I still need to get the Norwegian Schoolbread and Kaki Gori. Hopefully next time....

(P.S. Why is a corn dog not a snack credit?!?!?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: