Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
Bareacuda
DIS Veteran

We've done 2 Big Red Boat cruises 1995 and 1996.

It was right after our '96 cruise out TA told us Disney has a ship coming out.

We drove as fast as we could to put a deposit on a cruise we didnt know then it was coming out, where it was going or what the price was... but we did get a varendah room!

Now it's only DCL for us...15 or 16 cruises later ....still very happy!

Ann
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #32
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyC_fan View Post
We cruised DCL for 8 times and then we took HAL to Alaska last Aug. Scared to death that it wouldn't meet DCL's standards. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We would sail with them again in a heartbeat. With that being said, we have now cruised DCL a total of 10 times.
We were on HAL to Alaksa last Aug as well. It was actually with a "Twilight themed" group. Fun, but without those activities, I don't think we would have had a lot to do. Especially for DD. I told her then she needed to experience a Disney cruise! It'll be my 4 cruise (2nd on DCL) so not a ton to compare it to, but loved DCL from when I went way back in 1998! Can't wait til I get to see her on the Dream in August!
melmar136 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #33
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
We were on HAL to Alaksa last Aug as well. It was actually with a "Twilight themed" group. Fun, but without those activities, I don't think we would have had a lot to do. Especially for DD. I told her then she needed to experience a Disney cruise! It'll be my 4 cruise (2nd on DCL) so not a ton to compare it to, but loved DCL from when I went way back in 1998! Can't wait til I get to see her on the Dream in August!
How funny. We were on the Statendam Southbound. I believe it was Aug 13th. We loved it. We loved the itinerary with the train, Denali and all the rest. Yay, you get to sail on the Dream. It's a beautiful ship. We were on the MV B2B. I loved the Dream but I have to say that I prefer the smaller ship like the Statendam. It's even smaller than the Magic and Wonder.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #34
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

My first cruise was back in 1977 (maybe 78) so well before Disney started cruising. I've been on a number of lines (some now out of business) but ever since I first sailed DCL in 1999 it has been the only line for my DH and I. I would definitely try other lines and most likely will in the future but we keep going back to DCL because of the line and the friends we've made sailing on it.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #35
tidefan
DIS Veteran

We've done 4 cruises with Princess and 1 with DCL (Eastern Magic). We are doing a B2B on the Dream next month. I love both lines and each offers a great experience. There is nothing like the Kids Clubs and the Entertainment like you get on a Disney cruise. That said, the Dining and Elegance of the Princess ships are great as well. I like the concept of "anytime dining" on Princess (no, this is not the same as "freestyle dining" on NCL) and how it allows you to do things on your own time.

I'd go on either line again in a heartbeat...

Upcoming: SSR, DVC Alaskan Member Cruise & Aulani
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #36
rlmas
Mouseketeer

Our first cruise was 1991 - Honeymoon on Carnival. We had a great time and thought it was the best thing ever. Our second cruise was 1999 on the Wonder with kids 3 and 5. We loved it, but it was just a 4 night. Our third cruise was in 2001 - 10th anniversary without kids and back to Carnival for nostalgic reasons. It was just ok as far as the cruise. Staff and officers not real friendly, ship condition, food and shows were good, but not great. Our fourth cruise was back with Disney in 2005 for a week on the Magic. We and the kids now 9 & 11 had the "best vacation ever". Our fifth cruise was back on the Magic with kids and my parents and my wife's mother. It was 2007 and we went for a week. My parents have been on maybe 8 cruises on RCL. They raved about the condition of the ship, the food, the staff and especially Castaway Cay. They said RCL ships that were newer were not in as good of condition. They really liked not having to tender to Castaway Cay like RCL's island. For our fifth cruise in the summer of 2011, we thought long and hard about a non-Disney trip as the kids are nor 15 and 17. They would have none of it and my wife's comment said it all..."What if we take another line and regret it". I guess we are hooked. At the end of the day, we just are not willing to rick a non-DCL cruise.
rlmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #37
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Our first cruise was our honeymoon back in 2000 - it was a once in a lifetime holiday !
Well
This year will be cruise no. 7!
We've only ever cruised Disney.
Just to note - we don't have children!
Serenity bay is amazing
Staff have always been top notch !

MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #38
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

No/Yes/No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

I can totally see the appeal of DCL for families with little kids. But service-wise, while it was great service, it was no better than on the other lines I've sailed with. And the food on the Magic really left a lot to be desired.
I agree with your sentiments, although I thought the food on the Wonder was comparable to other cruise lines.

I cruised on HAL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess before my first Wonder cruise in 2008. I went on one more Wonder Bahamas cruise and will sail on the Dream this Sunday. I don't know if I will book another Disney cruise while onboard, because so far none of the 2012 cruise itineraries interest me. My next cruises are on HAL, RCI, and possibly a Princess cruise in April.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #39
Otimon
DIS Veteran

We cruised on the Crown Princess many, many years ago with a group from my husband's company. All expenses were paid (nice).

Since then we've only cruised Disney and our 16th Disney cruise will be coming up 3/10 on the Dream.
Otimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #40
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

DCL is good for families with children below the age of 18...
however, for older families and couples, i think there are better cruise lines than disney...

as another poster stated,for me smaller is better.....i really am not interested in being on a ship with 4,000 other people...even the Wonder had too many people...

the only reason i'll go on a DCL cruise now is to join the podcasters...
otherwise i'll look at the other (luxury) cruise lines..
for what DCL is charging for the concierge rooms, my money will be better spent on the luxury lines..
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #41
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

DCL was our first cruise ever and it was the MV of the Magic...we also put our money down about 18 months in advance and did not even know what the final itinerary was!!! We were hooked and have been on 22 DCL cruises total...but we also have cruised Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and we have enjoyed them all but DCL has a special place in my heart.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
edk35
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone... I love reading all of your replies. Sounds like you all LOVE DCL.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #43
kevinsmom
Mouseketeer

my family just booked the Dream which will be our cruise #8. It will be #2 on DCL. We have done RCCL and Carnival. We havent had a bad cruise yet. All different and all wonderful.

Past WDW Trips: All Star Movies, Music, Sports
Pop Century

DISNEY MAGIC - MARCH 2007

Caribbean Beach Resort - Thanksgiving 2009

kevinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #44
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Thanks everyone... I love reading all of your replies. Sounds like you all LOVE DCL.
Did you really read all the replies? I did and while MOST of them LOVE DCL there were some that were either just OK or tied with others.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #45
Alexander
DIS Veteran

1996 Our first cruise was to be on the Big Red Boat with the WDW package. But...the Big Red Boat went out of business and Carnival picked up the packages. So we sailed with Carnival--it was okay.

Since then we've sailed 3 times with DCL and have 2 more booked (working on another 2 as I type). I have looked at other itineraries when DCL is full or out of my price range, but have not ever booked anything.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: