Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
milliesmum
Mouseketeer

Disney all the way for us! We have cruise DCL five times out of the last six years (three times with older children, twice without children) and are booked on the La - Vancouver repo cruise in April. I am hoping future bookings will have been announced by then so I can book for 2012 whilst on board.
I have also "trained" my son as he is hoping the Magic returns to the Med 2012 so he can book his honeymoon with DCL.
I have thought about booking other cruise ships but while Disney go to the places I havent seen at a price I can afford I don't want to take the chance of my cruise not living up to my expectations
milliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Disney was my frist real cruise... but after I went on another line the "magic" was greatly diminished. It's good, but IMHO not the "be all and end all" it's made out to be on Disney message boards.
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
momm2four
We all have those little "skeletons" in our closets, don't we?

My family has only done DCL cruises (Wonder in '05 and Magic in '08, Fantasy coming next June), but I did to a Royal Carib. with a friend of mine last June. She and I had a wonderful time, and would go again in a heartbeat, even though it was an older ship, the customer service was wonderful and we had a great time just being on our own for four nights.

However...I would not take my kids on that one. On the sea day, there was a belly flop contest..ok, that was fun to watch, but then the Best Legs contest started. Four ladies were picked as judges and placed in chairs. Men then went up to these ladies, one at a time and gyrated and danced right up in their faces. When the ladies started rubbing the mens legs and thighs, I went and sat back down in my lounger... this contest was followed by Best Biceps which was a reverse groping session where the men "tested" the ladies' arms and shoulders for best muscles.

All I could think was that this was two o'clock in the afternoon on a sea day at the main pool...Did they not even think about how many young children would be in the area??? My friend spoke up and said "I'm glad my kids aren't here" and I just laughed and told her that I was just thinking the same thing.

This activity would be best reserved for an adult only area or late at night, even though quite honestly, I didn't even like it myself. Call me a prude if you must, but people who have had too much to drink and allow themselves to be pawed over and gawked at is not my idea of entertainment.

So, yes, for my family, at least for now, we will only sail Disney

WDW Oct. '02 HIFS DCL Wonder Oct '05 WDW Oct. 05 PORDCL Magic Oct '08WDW Oct. 08 Nick HotelUniversal Bonnet Creek Resort '10WDW/Universal Bonnet Creek Resort '12DCL Fantasy June '12
momm2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I have cruised RCI over 25 times even married on the Majesty! Did Carnival 5 times and just off my 4th Disney via the PC.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I love Disney. I go to WDW at least every other year; frequently it's every year. I grew up near Disneyland, and went there *all* the time.

My first cruise was on RCCL, and except for the fact that the ship was *so* big I felt like I was vacationing at the Mall, I really loved it. My room steward, my servers, all were top notch. I then sailed Princess to Alaska. Again, loved it. The ship was not quite so huge, and was beautiful. Wonderful service. 2 more cruises on RCCL, liked 'em just fine. My last cruise was on the Magic to the Med. Wonderful cruise, great service, but not amazing, and certainly didn't "spoil me for other lines".

I can totally see the appeal of DCL for families with little kids. But service-wise, while it was great service, it was no better than on the other lines I've sailed with. And the food on the Magic really left a lot to be desired.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
Tigger98
Mouseketeer

In 07, my sister turned 40 and wanted to spend it in Disney. We did a land & sea package, and that started our new family reunions. Here are the cruises we have been on:
1) 07 - DCL Wonder: loved it!!
2) 08 - DCL Wonder (just me, DH, and DS): loved it!!
3) 08 NCL Majesty (Christmas Cruise): A cold front followed us the entire trip, and compared it to DCL almost the entire trip.
4) 10 NCL Epic: It was ok, but had to pre-book for all the entertainment. The water slides were cool.

Overall, we still put DCL at the top!!
Land/Sea 4/18-26, 2007
WDW 11/2001
WDW 8/1994
Tigger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
CruisinEars
Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

DCL Magic was our first cruise in 2008. On day 2 my hubby and I were looking at each other and saying "I love cruising!!!". We were totally hooked. Even when we had the creaking of the ship and sewer smells in the cabin, I thought it was normal so we had the best cruise.

We have since sailed on RCCL and Princess. We have had terrific cruises for all 3. We told our servers on the Mariner of the Seas that we had been on Disney and they did everything they could to out shine that experience. I have to say, they were wonderful.

I had such a great experience with cruising that I now work for Princess. Needless to say, our next 2 cruises are planned with Princess due to my employee pricing. We did have a Dream cruised booked, but had to change plans due to a wedding we will be attending.

Would I cruise DCL again? In a heartbeat!

Number of Trips:
WDW=7
DL=7
DCL=1
CruisinEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #23
Johngar
Earning My Ears

Our first EVER cruise was the 15-night westbound Panama Canal in 2008 on the Magic. We were HOOKED. We have done four DCL cruises since and are not looking at any other cruise line. We have good friends who are platinum members on another cruise line and also have done Disney and the only thing they say is better on the other line is the food, but it's pretty close. And everything else makes up for the food.
When I was on the car rental shuttle to the port to get on the Magic on 2008, there was another couple (retired) who had done 15 cruises the previous year. They said they had never done Disney because they don't have kids. When I replied that we didn't either, the guy turned to his wife and said, "That may have just changed mind."
Johngar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

My husband went on Carnival and I went on RCCL before we met. We did a DCL cruise in 2006 with DS. Hubby is not a big fan of cruising. However, we are looking at DCL Med cruise. I told him there were other lines that we could consider. He said "absolutely not" we do DCL or we don't cruise.
MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
ua1992
Mouseketeer

First cruise was carnival - next three were DCL. No comparison between carnival and DCL. We will sail on Disney from now on *o*
ua1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #26
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Yes, No, and Yes (so far)
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

DCL was our first cruise (for the first two cruises actually). RCCL was our second and Carnival was our third. Still think DCL is the number one cruise line with Carnival and RCCL rounding out the top three.
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
edk35
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I am enjoying reading all them.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #29
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Yes, No, and Yes (so far)
I love your answer. Short, sweet and to the point!
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #30
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Three questions.......three anwsers......YES , NO , YES. You will love a DCL cruise..............GO-4-IT.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: