DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
merina888
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 191

Best value?

Hi Folks,

My husband and I are continuing to explore the possibility of buying DVC (more than likely resale). Aside from preferences of where you want to stay, what do you think is the best resort to buy at in terms of value (and in that I mean availability of contracts on the resale market, cost per point and number of points to buy)? I've seen a few people suggest SSR as the best value. We are planning to rent points for some stays to get an idea of where we prefer. Although we aren't too particular (we tend to like a calmer, more sedate resort that is still fun). I think I'm one of the few that will say that BLT and BWV don't interest me all that much. Their theming doesn't appeal to me and honestly I think we would be priced out of the market unless we got something by luck.What do people think?

Thanks for your help!
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
Hi Folks,

My husband and I are continuing to explore the possibility of buying DVC (more than likely resale). Aside from preferences of where you want to stay, what do you think is the best resort to buy at in terms of value (and in that I mean availability of contracts on the resale market, cost per point and number of points to buy)? I've seen a few people suggest SSR as the best value. We are planning to rent points for some stays to get an idea of where we prefer. Although we aren't too particular (we tend to like a calmer, more sedate resort that is still fun). I think I'm one of the few that will say that BLT and BWV don't interest me all that much. Their theming doesn't appeal to me and honestly I think we would be priced out of the market unless we got something by luck.What do people think?

Thanks for your help!
For WDW travel, the cheapest option to buy is the cheapest resort adjusted for the expiration date for a WDW resort is the best. As a rule that will be SSR but if one can get something else cheaply enough, that could shift the balance and change the best decision. Some will tell you to buy where you want to stay but I'd say that a much better choice and a cheaper one is to buy at a resort that you wouldn't mind staying most trips at even if it's not your preferred location. Keep an eye on craigslist and ebay as well as the usual suspects.
__________________
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 09-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
joeyrose
Mouseketeer
 
joeyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 124

okw is gorgeous and a bargain on the resale market (unextended), but disney seems to be exercising rofr more recently. i would rather stay at okw than saratoga any day.
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

If you're looking just at the numbers, it's a basic exercise in math. Take the purchase price per point that you think you could realistically get a contract for. Then divide that by the number of years left in the contract and that gives you a hard cost for the point over the life of the contract. Then add this year's maintenance fees. That will give you the cost per point for this year. The only real variable is the maintenance fee increases, which you can project but that will only be an estimate.

Here's an example:

Let's say you buy an SSR contract for $60 pp. It has 42 years left on it, so that makes your per point cost $1.43. Maintenance fees are $4.73, so that makes your cost per point $6.16 (per year).

Or you can buy OKW for $50 pp. It has 30 years left on it, so that makes your per point cost $1.66. Maintenance fees are $5.20, so that makes your cost per point $6.86 (per year).

These numbers can be a good guide, but even I wouldn't just let math decide where you purchase. As other posters have mentioned above, I would definitely let your enjoyment of the resorts factor into your decision. I'm a math guy, but I bought (resale) at BLT and BWV (two of the more expensive options) because that's where I wanted to stay. Good luck with your decision!
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,683

SSR is an excellent value based on initial buy in price (resale), annual MF and years left on the contract.

You used to be able to get OKW for a cheaper buy in price, but with all the ROFR activity this year, OKW isn't as cheap as it was a year ago.

Half of my points are at SSR for the reason that it provided the best value for my money.
__________________



DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member
 
htmlkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
SSR is an excellent value based on initial buy in price (resale), annual MF and years left on the contract.

You used to be able to get OKW for a cheaper buy in price, but with all the ROFR activity this year, OKW isn't as cheap as it was a year ago.

Half of my points are at SSR for the reason that it provided the best value for my money.
I agree with Doug that SSR is the best bang for the buck and as long as you are flexible you can usually get a room anywhere. In the year I've been a member (I purchased SSR) I've never stayed there but have been at almost all the other resorts including Aulani with little problem booking.
__________________

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,264

In resort selection, I think there are several questions you need to answer before you start thinking about "value" as the primary basis for your decision.

The first question I would answer is whether where you stay matters to you. It has never mattered to us, and therefore our purchase decisions were driven by "value." But your family may very well feel differently.

I am not a "buy where you want to stay" person (because I think many subscribe to that without really thinking it through), but I would never suggest that anyone purchase any resort where they would be disappointed to stay.

The second question I would answer -- provided you care where you stay -- is whether or not you can consistently book vacations more than 7 months in advance and stick to your choices. If not, the home resort booking advantage is of little value to your family, and that is the main reason for owning a specific resort.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
The second question I would answer -- provided you care where you stay -- is whether or not you can consistently book vacations more than 7 months in advance and stick to your choices. If not, the home resort booking advantage is of little value to your family, and that is the main reason for owning a specific resort.
The other part of this issue quickly becomes whether buying at all makes sense if one can't plan ahead.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,264

Also, in doing the math, I would NOT consider the end date of the contract.

I'm in a distinct minority with that view, but I think it is very unlikely that most of us will own a DVC contract until expiration. I would use 10 years as a cutoff, and do the math from there. Using a 10-year useful life, the math changes to favor the lower-priced, low MF resorts like OKW and SSR.

I would also use a very low recovery of initial purchase price in my calculations (actually I'd personally use $0.00). I don't have a clue what resale prices will be ten years from now, but I'm guessing they'll be a small fraction of whatever we pay to purchase today.

Last edited by JimMIA; 09-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
merina888
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
In resort selection, I think there are several questions you need to answer before you start thinking about "value" as the primary basis for your decision.

The first question I would answer is whether where you stay matters to you. It has never mattered to us, and therefore our purchase decisions were driven by "value." But your family may very well feel differently.

I am not a "buy where you want to stay" person (because I think many subscribe to that without really thinking it through), but I would never suggest that anyone purchase any resort where they would be disappointed to stay.

The second question I would answer -- provided you care where you stay -- is whether or not you can consistently book vacations more than 7 months in advance and stick to your choices. If not, the home resort booking advantage is of little value to your family, and that is the main reason for owning a specific resort.

In general, we prefer to be a little bit off the beaten path. BLT would be too much like stay at any other hotel and has too urban a feel for me. I've not stayed at, but looked at pictures of BWV and I just don't care for that Atlantic City Boardwalk feel. I had the Jersey shore, boardwalk and all the last time I visited the real one. My husband hates Jersey and all things related to suburban NYC (he's from LI and left deliberately). Otherwise I don't know if we care where we stay so long as it has a more relaxed feel with greenery nearby.

I'm a planner and I am very detail oriented. Our last trip to WDW was only 4 months in advance and that is very atypical of me. I've already picked out where I want to stay in Prince Edward Island Canada next summer and am just waiting for details related to my husband's job to book it.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The other part of this issue quickly becomes whether buying at all makes sense if one can't plan ahead.
Agree, and I think that is true for ANY timeshare including DVC.

Although...we have had great success booking shorter DVC stays (2-5 days) inside 7 months -- sometimes WAY inside 7 months.

But I wouldn't buy anybody's timeshare counting on being able to make satisfactory short-notice bookings.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
Otherwise I don't know if we care where we stay so long as it has a more relaxed feel with greenery nearby.
Relaxed feel, with greenery is OKW...period. With the added bonus of low initial purchase cost, low MFs, and more space in the units.

That's not to say that other resorts aren't fabulous. But "relaxed" IS OKW.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Agree, and I think that is true for ANY timeshare including DVC.

Although...we have had great success booking shorter DVC stays (2-5 days) inside 7 months -- sometimes WAY inside 7 months.

But I wouldn't buy anybody's timeshare counting on being able to make satisfactory short-notice bookings.
I totally agree. As for the ending date, IMO, extra years have some value but probably less than many people seem to think until you get under 30 years but we're about there with many of the resorts.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
DVCanadian
Earning My Ears
 
DVCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33

I agree that SSR is the best value. There is a lot of supply which is helping to keep the prices down but the end date is far enough away that the price probably won't collapse during the period of time you own.

At 7 months all points are equal, why pay more than you need to if you aren't always trying to book at 11 months. If you keep the contract a long time maintence fees are the biggest cost. SSR is one of the best here too. Add in the Treehouses and it's a winner. I found I could get more points for the same money I was willing to spend and more points never hurt anyone!
DVCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
zeferjen
Mother Knows Best
 
zeferjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 1,051

Agree on SSR. I bought there two times for that reason. Although I haven't stayed there yet, the pictures look beautiful and I think it will make for a more relaxing trip, once we do make it there. I hope to bring my sister's family for a trip to the treehouses in 2014.
__________________




Me Dh Dd 6 Ds5 (he made me pick this avatar!)

My Disneyland Trip Report
zeferjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.