Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #76
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 13 - Second half of the ride

I was just reading through my TR and realised I hadn't finished it! And there's only 2 more days to go, so I thought I may as well. Most of the updates from here will be mainly pictures.

So we had just stopped for lunch on our way down to the bottom of the canyon. We all got helped back on our mules to finish off the ride. We started off going through a rocky gully type thing following a little creek.

When we came out of the gully we found ourselves at the top of the next section of canyon - I didn't even realise it went down further lol! You can't see that bit from the top. You see that zig zag going down the cliff? That was our path.

Then we were in another gully following a creek again.

Eventually that creek joined up with the Colarado River!

You see that black bridge in the distance (the second one)? That was our destination. We had to go through a cave like cut out in the rock and ride our mules over the suspension bridge! My mule was not keen on going into the cave Luckily I have a bit of experience with horses and was able to convince him to keep going

It wasn't long after the bridge when we arrived at our destination. I'll finish off this post with a pic of DF waiting for help to dismount.

March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #77
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 13 - At the Bottom!

We were really impressed with our little cabin at Phantom Ranch, which (not surprisingly) is the only accommodation at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. We were expecting dorm accommodation (which there also was), but ended up with a whole cabin all to ourselves, even with a double bed and toilet! There was electricity down there too, so I could have charged my camera (I hadn't been expecting electricity so I had bought a spare battery for it).

We decided to take a small walk to stop our aching muscles seizing up entirely! The patch of greenery down there is where the cabins were.

We came back and had a couple of drinks at the canteen thing they have there. But they close up early so that they can prepare for dinner, so we decided to take another walk towards the river.

We arrived back at the ranch for our steak dinner. It was a pretty decent meal of steaks (obviously), potatoes and veggies, cornbread etc, served family style. While we ate we chatted with our fellow mule riders about our experiences from the day.

We had been told that breakfast was at 6:30am, and before that we had to leave our packbags at the mule area for the guide to get them ready. So after dinner it was time to head off to bed, ready for another early morning.
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #78
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 14 - Back up to the Top!

So after an early morning and a hearty breakfast we were back on the trail. The ride back up was quite hard work, even riding a mule! I was quite glad that we didn't have to walk up lol!

At our picnic stop (same place as we stopped on the way down, and we passed some more riders on their way down), I saw some more wildlife - a squirrel!

On the final climb we stopped at an echo-y place to sing happy birthday to one of the guys in our group. Then someone started playing Happy Trails on their ipod

The top of the trail was still quite icy and a bit slippery. One of the mules fell to his knees, and the rider fell off, which was a bit scary! Luckily she only fell onto the trail and was ok apart from being a bit sore and bruised. She was (understandably) a bit scared of continuing on the mule, and wanted to walk for a while, but she wasn't allowed. Unfortunately once you've committed to doing the ride, you have to stay on the mule the whole time, or else be airlifted out! She managed to get back on her mule anyway and kept going for a while, but the mule kept slipping! I think she was making him nervous. In the end the guide swapped mules with her and after that there were no more incidents thank goodness. It made me a little nervous though for the last little part of the ride that was icy.

We arrived back to the mule corral not long after lunch time. We all said thanks to our mules and guide, and goodbye to each other, and went on our individual ways.

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: