Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #421
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Doppler - I saw that you signed up on our cruiser list. Thanks! I moved you up a few places on the list, as I am arranging by the "No" FE, "Maybe" or no answer FE, then "Yes" FE, and within those categories I order by ascending stateroom number.

2013 Cruises: Not a chance for me! I'm not going to support their price hike - lol. Also, I'm doing a Dream and two Fantasy sailings in 2012, with two out of three being Concierge and the Dream and one Fantasy being solo. Cruising in 2013 is beyond my means, plus I am highly superstitious so figure that's a good year for me to skip.

Holly (ThePhantomsGirl) - The thing about Concierge on other lines is that unless you pay for their most expensive categories, what they call a "concierge suite" is generally like a regular verandah room on the Magic or Wonder (and WITHOUT a split bathroom), but with concierge amenities. On most lines you have to select their Penthouse or Owner's Suite to get a split bath, if even then. As you know when we were checking out Celebrity and RCCL, it's like comparing apples to oranges. But Celebrity does interest me a bit. Still, as much as I enjoy independent travel, I don't think I'd ever sail solo on any line but DCL, and definitely not if a transatlantic.
DCL #20: 11/8/2014 DISNEY FANTASY
DCL #21: 12/5/2015 DISNEY FANTASY
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #422
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I know it can be apples and oranges - but if one is traveling solo, the split bath isn't such an issue. After all, one doesn't have to share it with anyone.

I figure that say the Aqua Class - the regular concierge cabins are much like the Cat V - which after all is really only the larger veranda cabin with concierge amenities.

Also, I agree that it's easier in many ways to sail solo with DCL...but the Magic also isn't an ocean liner as you've pointed out to me.

It's all moot at this point as I'm not sure I really can sail in 2013. I just know the Fantasy and the Dream aren't tempting me much at all....

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #423
taswira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
I figure that say the Aqua Class - the regular concierge cabins are much like the Cat V - which after all is really only the larger veranda cabin with concierge amenities. ...
Holly - The Aqua Class on Celebrity's newer ships ranges from 246 to 248 sq. ft. including verandah (about 198 sq. ft. inside space). DCL's Dream and Fantasy Cat. V is 306 sq. ft. including verandah. So that's nearly a 60 sq. ft. difference. Whether solo or sharing, I'd definitely feel the difference in space. But I think you and others who like the spa services would probably be happy with Celebrity's Aqua Class because that is who it's designed to attract.

I'll be happy with Cat. V and our Cat T, and also with my Cat. 5A for this cruise (Location, location!). Must say that I LOVE DCL's split bathrooms and think ALL cruise ships should have them.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #424
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Oh I can't WAIT to be in our Cat T!

But I do think eventually I'm going to try another line such as Celebrity. Have no idea of when. For right now I'm happy with our upcoming April cruise, as well as this one.

And if the world really does end - I'll not be cruising again - LOL!

Holly (going out in style on CC!)

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #425
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
And if the world really does end - I'll not be cruising again - LOL!

Holly (going out in style on CC!)
OK- now that is the best reason I have heard for not booking in 2013 and so on theme with this being the "Not so end of the world cruise"

Which now has me thinking I should be planning WDW pre-cruise instead of post. Seems a shame to just head home. Wanted to stay a day or two for re-entry but that would mean flying home during the busiest days of the year, yuck. (plus a good excuse)

Is anyone else planning on doing WDW before or after?

I would love ideas for that one.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #426
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
OK- now that is the best reason I have heard for not booking in 2013 and so on theme with this being the "Not so end of the world cruise"

Which now has me thinking I should be planning WDW pre-cruise instead of post. Seems a shame to just head home. Wanted to stay a day or two for re-entry but that would mean flying home during the busiest days of the year, yuck. (plus a good excuse)

Is anyone else planning on doing WDW before or after?

I would love ideas for that one.
If you can swing it I'd recommend going to the parks before the cruise. It won't be near as crowded as it will be after the cruise. We got down on Christmas morning last year and stayed the week and vowed to not do it again while DH has to take vacation time. Once he retires we'll all go down again, but not before then. I've never seen crowds like that before and don't want to any time soon. I don't know why people save up for years to go the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'll take Easter, July 4th or Thanksgiving week over that week any year. The only reason we'll go down again that time of year is because we have a house there and don't have to pay the way over inflated hotel prices.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #427
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Sorry everyone, we're bowing out of the cruise. I've moved our ressie over to the same sailing for the end of Jan. 2013. I got a sweet rate on a cat. V, got it before the error was caught by DCL in the afternoon.
It's been nice chatting with everyone on here. Have a great cruise.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #428
taswira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Sorry everyone, we're bowing out of the cruise. I've moved our ressie over to the same sailing for the end of Jan. 2013. I got a sweet rate on a cat. V, got it before the error was caught by DCL in the afternoon.
I'm sorry you're leaving us. I have removed you from our cruiser list. Happy sailing!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #429
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswira View Post
I'm sorry you're leaving us. I have removed you from our cruiser list. Happy sailing!
Thanks. I'll be looking for reviews of your cat. V sailing next year.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #430
taswira

Quote:
Thanks. I'll be looking for reviews of your cat. V sailing next year.
My Cat. V is on the Dream in February, then Cat. T on the Fantasy in April with Holly. Should be interesting at least. I hope to write trips reports for both those sailings, but at the least will shoot lots of photos.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #431
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you can swing it I'd recommend going to the parks before the cruise. It won't be near as crowded as it will be after the cruise. We got down on Christmas morning last year and stayed the week and vowed to not do it again while DH has to take vacation time. Once he retires we'll all go down again, but not before then. I've never seen crowds like that before and don't want to any time soon. I don't know why people save up for years to go the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'll take Easter, July 4th or Thanksgiving week over that week any year. The only reason we'll go down again that time of year is because we have a house there and don't have to pay the way over inflated hotel prices.
We're using points either way. Big difference between the two weeks in crowds and points.
DH's work has vacation for everyone from Dec 24 to Jan 2. They get that instead of some of the other holidays. So that is where the common sense of the crowds and points works against the fact that dh would have to take more vacation days pre-cruise than post cruise.
Would it not taking vacation time change your thoughts?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #432
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you caught a deal. Have a great cruise!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #433
davidls
DIS Veteran

Morning All

Quote:
jilljill, sorry to see you go, but I understand switching to get a GREAT rate. Hope you have a wonderful time - and enjoy that cat. V!!!!

Living here in Florida, DW and I like to spend a couple of days at WDW before the cruise. In Sept. we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and had a great time. We like to stay at WDW before the cruise, check out of our resort the morning of the cruise and drive over to the port. That way we have half of our driving time to the port behind us already. Not sure where we will stay for this cruise - bur sure did enjoy the Animal Kingdom Lodge!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #434
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

jilljill,

Sorry to see you go, but getting a good deal and being in Concierge is a great reason!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #435
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
We're using points either way. Big difference between the two weeks in crowds and points.
DH's work has vacation for everyone from Dec 24 to Jan 2. They get that instead of some of the other holidays. So that is where the common sense of the crowds and points works against the fact that dh would have to take more vacation days pre-cruise than post cruise.
Would it not taking vacation time change your thoughts?
Wow, that makes it tough. But I guess it depends on what your vacation plans are for the rest of the year. You'll have to weigh in your other vacation plans and the DVC points difference to see what makes more sense to you. But I'm still going to vote going before the cruise, but that's just me. Since we are down there a few months throughout year if I don't have to deal with the hurrendous crowds then I won't again.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: