Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

Vegan at Palo?

We're vegan, so we don't consume any animal products (meat, fish, eggs, dairy, gelatin, etc.). I also cannot have dairy, walnuts, or alcohol due to allergies. We usually get exceptional service and food in the main dining rooms; we're spoilt there already.

My question is, would it be worth it to have a meal at Palos one evening? We would love to dine in the ambiance of Palos or Remys but the menus are anything but vegan. Would they make us something we ould eat there as well? Salad doesn't count.

Thoughts? Has anyone with a special diet dined in Palos and could offer some opinions?
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecanada View Post
We're vegan, so we don't consume any animal products (meat, fish, eggs, dairy, gelatin, etc.). I also cannot have dairy, walnuts, or alcohol due to allergies. We usually get exceptional service and food in the main dining rooms; we're spoilt there already.

My question is, would it be worth it to have a meal at Palos one evening? We would love to dine in the ambiance of Palos or Remys but the menus are anything but vegan. Would they make us something we ould eat there as well? Salad doesn't count.

Thoughts? Has anyone with a special diet dined in Palos and could offer some opinions?
Some how I do not see Palo as a choice for some one who is vegan,definitely not the brunch.

Rob

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
calmpets
DIS Veteran

For a vegetarian it's easy to be taken care of at Palo, but for a vegan I would think your choices would be extremely limited.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

For a family that deals with an egg allergy; we find ourselves frequently knowing what is not "Vegan". For many years there was a dairy allergy paired with that egg allergy so we really understood. I am telling you right now, I would never pay the money to dine at Palo/Remy to request outside Vegan food. There really is nothing you can enjoy there. Vegetarian possible; but Vegan.... No.... The choices are just not that great in number. I have several past thread links to Vegan threads; let me see if I can find a couple. That has been everyone's feelings.

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
atinkerbellmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I'm trying Remy as a vegan and gluten free on my cruise on the 27th. will let you know how it goes..

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
Lilbunnyk
Thumper's #1 fan

My husband and I are vegetarian (no meat, seafood, geletain, chicken, but we do eat dairy) and have dined at Palo four times. They always go out of their way to make us delicious meals and we are always very satisfied. When we tell our waiter about our food restrictions they go over everything that is vegetarian or could be altered to make vegetarian. I'm not sure about total vegan options but there is plenty of vegetarian alternatives.
Lilbunnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbunnyk View Post
My husband and I are vegetarian (no meat, seafood, geletain, chicken, but we do eat dairy) I'm not sure about total vegan options but there is plenty of vegetarian alternatives.
Exactly. Easy to do "real" Italian as a vegetarian, but not as a vegan. All of the pasta is fresh pasta and uses eggs. Makes it yummy.... but a no no.... Most of all of the sauces are creamy ones and are dairy based. I have a hard time at Palo for dinner just because I have a dairy intolerance. So I am limited and that is not a restriction, just a caution. Even the pizza in Palo has eggs in the crust. I could easily tolerate a vegetarian diet in life, but trust me, when you do away with ALL dairy (eggs, cheese, butter and milk) the choices go down to I just know how restricted we are due to eggs. When DD was allergic to milk; we even had issues with bread on th ship.... Now when she was 4 after our 2nd cruise, I wrote a really long letter to DCL. Just asking them to buy some cheap boxed pasta for spaghetti. At that time ALL of the pasta was fresh. I am happy to say, now the kids menu and the buffet has cheap/boxed pasta . Took a couple of years though. So VEGAN is tough! I love Vegan people as they help make a path for us Now that they are pushing a Vegan lifestyle on Oprah & GMA; maybe there will be more choices in our future!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the comments, everyone. I guess Palo and Remy will be out for us, at least for now.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
cherylp3
Florida Resident

I ate at Remy and noted I was vegan and gluten and dairy allergies. My meal was excellent and it was definitely something I will do again. I'm going to do a blog report on my meal.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

Yay, that's great news!! It's too late to pre-book Palo for our cruise in April, but we'll see if there's room available when we confirm our diet and allergies with the dining team on embarkation day. I'll keep an eye out for your blog post. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
cherylp3
Florida Resident

your best bet is to go to the area where they have "dining changes" (example dlounge on the dream ) and speak with the restaurant manager. they will handle everything for you.

Also I suggest contact special services in advance, request agave nectar, soymilk, alternative ice cream, etc..

Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
strangeling
Mouseketeer

I've been to Palo many, many times - and every time we tell them we are vegetarian, they are careful to ask us specifically if we are lacto, ovo, vegan. We're lacto-ovo - but the fact that they ask if we are vegan may insinuate that they have vegan options =) They are always very happy to make things "from scratch" and straying pretty far from the menu if needed, too.

November, 2005 Disney Wonder** June, 2006 Disney Wonder ** July, 2006 Disney Wonder ** October, 2006 Disney Magic ** June, 2007 Disney Wonder ** September, 2007 Disney Wonder **May, 2008 Disney Wonder **May, 2009 Disney Wonder **February, 2010 Disney Wonder **September, 2010 Disney Wonder ** March, 2012 Disney Dream ** January, 2014 Disney Dream (Roy O. Disney Suite!!)

www.strangeling.com : My Artwork!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jasmin...th/47932244366 My Facebook
Full-time Celebration, Florida Homeowner
Artist - see my artwork at Pop Gallery Orlando at Downtown Disney and at WonderGround Gallery at Disneyland
WDW Annual Passholder
strangeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
InSearchofMagic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylp3 View Post
I ate at Remy and noted I was vegan and gluten and dairy allergies. My meal was excellent and it was definitely something I will do again. I'm going to do a blog report on my meal.
Did you ever end up doing a write up about your vegan meal at Remy? I am going on my first cruise as a vegan and wondering what will be available and if paying for the "extra" dining options will be worth it. Thanks in advance for any info!
InSearchofMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

@InSearchofMagic - We've cruised as vegan with other food allergies for years and have always had great food. Disney even had vegan veggie burgers onboard at the quick service place by the pool and non-dairy ice cream and sorbets in the dining rooms. You'll be in good hands.

I am interested in the blog post as well. A link would be great.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecanada View Post
@InSearchofMagic - We've cruised as vegan with other food allergies for years and have always had great food. Disney even had vegan veggie burgers onboard at the quick service place by the pool and non-dairy ice cream and sorbets in the dining rooms. You'll be in good hands.

I am interested in the blog post as well. A link would be great.
I am interested in the blog as well. I am told that Palo is Italian & Remy is French (I have only done the Magic/Wonder) so therefore different food. As far as the veggie burgers, what did you do for a bun? The buns have eggs? Yes I have done the soy icecream as well. They use to have Rice too, but in March they told me they only had soy. What elese did you eat at quick service? No one is yet answering that for me? I know French fries and fruit but what else?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: