Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
PrincessPaczki
Mom of 2 Prince's

Hi. We were just there in January, and was put in building 90 of the mansions. We have stayed 4 times in the AB section, but I loved the mansions! Our room was right across from the river and steps from the bridge to take you to the main building and dining area. We always get the water view option to insure a beautiful location like the one we got.
1992 - CBR
1993 - 2003 - OBX / BUSCH GARDENS VA.
2004 - BEACH CLUB / ROYAL PACIFIC
2005 - WILDERNESS LODGE
2006 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2007 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2008 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RPC
2010 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2011 - POLYNESIAN
2012 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2013 - CORONADO SPRINGS

PrincessPaczki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessPaczki View Post
Hi. We were just there in January, and was put in building 90 of the mansions. We have stayed 4 times in the AB section, but I loved the mansions! Our room was right across from the river and steps from the bridge to take you to the main building and dining area. We always get the water view option to insure a beautiful location like the one we got.
Starting in January of this year, Riverview is now a separate booking category from waterview.

I have to say for being a "southern girl", I am also partial to the mansions.
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
sandgrace
DIS Veteran

Is it worth the extra money to get a waterview or are the standard rooms just as nice?

Disneyland More Times than I Can Count!
LMT Winner Disneyland Hotel 2-2009!
Disneyworld 2002, 2004, 2014
Disney Wonder 2004, 2006, Disney Magic 2005, 2008, Disney Fantasy June 2012

sandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
f.chadw
Earning My Ears

We stayed in AB building 15 in December.
The rooms are nice. But they sure could use a refurb like some people have posted.

My biggest complaint about the room was the bathroom. The caulking around the tub and tile was not applied very well. It looked fresh, but the black mold/mildew stuff around the majority the tub tells a different tale.

Other than that. I absolutely love this resort. Stayed here twice and had a great time both trips.
f.chadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.chadw View Post
We stayed in AB building 15 in December.
The rooms are nice. But they sure could use a refurb like some people have posted.

My biggest complaint about the room was the bathroom. The caulking around the tub and tile was not applied very well. It looked fresh, but the black mold/mildew stuff around the majority the tub tells a different tale.

Other than that. I absolutely love this resort. Stayed here twice and had a great time both trips.
As stated previously, it is getting a refurb right after POFQ is completed. Also, the elevators is the mansions are getting refurbed as well. They are taking the bathroom walls down to the studs in POFQ, so presumably they will be doing that as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgrace View Post
Is it worth the extra money to get a waterview or are the standard rooms just as nice?
All the rooms interior are exactly the same. They have wonderful rooms in the standard category that overlooked the lush wooded area - had a room like that one year; loved it!

The only view that I would not enjoy is a view of a parking lot. Had that one year, during the week of Pop Warner. They gave away my waterview room to a Pop Warner family, stuck me in Acadian House all the way in the back facing the parking lot and credited me the difference.

Lots of people will say it is not worth it because you have no balcony/patio and you have to keep your curtains closed for passers-by.

I beg to differ. The past several years, I have booked waterview and always asked to be near the quiet pools in the mansions. One year, Parterre Place; a few years Oak Manor. Loved the fact I could go out at 3:00 am and stick my toes in the water right outside my door.

This past year, I was upgraded to a king bed room, riverview in Parterre Place, not 30 feet from the river. It was absolutely wonderful. I was on the end of the wing, and no one walked by my room, so I just pulled out my chair in the alcove each night as the last of the water taxis were coming back from DTD.

I did not hesitate to book riverview ( the new category) this year.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
vanyel
Mouseketeer
I like to escape in the occasional "bodice ripper"!
I don't think I want to be my tree

When I booked, several weeks ago, I booked a king room and requested riverview. She said that the kings were spread out and that the riverview catagory was a request on top of reserving a king and didn't say anything about being a separate catagory.

Any thoughts on my chances of getting a king riverview in the mansions (my other request)? We're going the week after Thanksgiving so it's not a traditionally sold-out time frame.
vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #23
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyel View Post
When I booked, several weeks ago, I booked a king room and requested riverview. She said that the kings were spread out and that the riverview catagory was a request on top of reserving a king and didn't say anything about being a separate catagory.

Any thoughts on my chances of getting a king riverview in the mansions (my other request)? We're going the week after Thanksgiving so it's not a traditionally sold-out time frame.
That is correct; you book king and then request riverview, or you book riverview and request king room. King rooms are harder to come by, because they are also the h.c. accessible rooms as well. You are better off booking king and requesting king view.

If you think the week after T-giving is not a sold out time, think again. I went last year and the resorts were nearly booked solid; with the monster pin code and the extension of free dining over the summer, the resorts were completely full. People were reporting for instance, about six weeks out, they were trying to book a moderate and all that was available in the moderate category was the Junior Suites at CSR. And they were just out of everyone's price range.

We waited almost an hour to check-in; I have never waited that long in the 11 years I have been going that week.

That being said, I booked waterview, requested Oak Manor near the quiet pool - which is what I get just about every year. Except when I go alone (quite often) I usually get a king room.

I got king room, riverview in Parterre Place. I was thirty feet from the shore. It was awesome.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
sandgrace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
All the rooms interior are exactly the same. They have wonderful rooms in the standard category that overlooked the lush wooded area - had a room like that one year; loved it!

The only view that I would not enjoy is a view of a parking lot. Had that one year, during the week of Pop Warner. They gave away my waterview room to a Pop Warner family, stuck me in Acadian House all the way in the back facing the parking lot and credited me the difference.

Lots of people will say it is not worth it because you have no balcony/patio and you have to keep your curtains closed for passers-by.

I beg to differ. The past several years, I have booked waterview and always asked to be near the quiet pools in the mansions. One year, Parterre Place; a few years Oak Manor. Loved the fact I could go out at 3:00 am and stick my toes in the water right outside my door.

This past year, I was upgraded to a king bed room, riverview in Parterre Place, not 30 feet from the river. It was absolutely wonderful. I was on the end of the wing, and no one walked by my room, so I just pulled out my chair in the alcove each night as the last of the water taxis were coming back from DTD.

I did not hesitate to book riverview ( the new category) this year.
Thanks for the info! It's good to know that the rooms are the same in the standard as they are in waterview. We haven't been to WDW since 2004 and we've never taken our DD6 so I'm thinking that we won't have much time to sit and enjoy the views on this trip. We will have 5 people in our room and POR is cheaper than the ASMu Suites.

Disneyland More Times than I Can Count!
LMT Winner Disneyland Hotel 2-2009!
Disneyworld 2002, 2004, 2014
Disney Wonder 2004, 2006, Disney Magic 2005, 2008, Disney Fantasy June 2012

sandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
KungFoomF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursekatiebelle View Post
the rooms badly need refurbishment.
Everyone has an opinion I guess, but I don't see how anyone can phrase it like that. The resort is still beautiful and the rooms are always clean and extremely comfortable.

I stayed in building 17 in December and loved it. It was a bit of a hike to the lobby, but I love walking and we were close to the parking lot, which is more valuable to me.
KungFoomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #26
calngavinsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
Ahh, that is the Port Orleans I know and love! Have fun on your anniversary trip, what a perfect place to celebrate.
Thanks.......and we agree

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Nursekatiebelle
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. I'm not nervous anymore. I have a tendency to read every review I can get my hands on and a few bad reviews will make me panic ( I may be a little OCD here...ha ha). Thanks guys!
Nursekatiebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
por

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: