Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Nursekatiebelle
Earning My Ears

Red face Good room at POR?

Hello! I just booked three night at POR (wanted french quarter but it was full) and have become nervous reading review which state the rooms badly need refurbishment. Has anyone stayed recently in a decent room or does anyone know if any areas have recently been refurbished? Also mansion vs bayou... any opinions? Oh ... one more thing... are water parks feasible in early March? Thanks!!!
Nursekatiebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
mommyjam
Mouseketeer

We stayed in building 16 of AB in December and our room was great. It didnt look worn at all.
mommyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

We had a very nice room last March at POR, just as nice as the last one we had. I'll put it this way, I love POR so I am thrilled its getting a refurb, but the fact it won't be anywhere done before my stay in June doesn't have me worried. I would prefer a queen bed but in the end, the resort is beautiful and our experinces have been so great, I am very comfortable staying there.

Alligator Bayou is our favorite section, it feels very peaceful and the grounds are very lushly landscaped. The only thing is, AB rooms do not have elevators so if that is a concern, you might request first floor room.

Mansions are furnished a bit more formally and all the buildings have elevators. I think from the outside, Mansions are about the prettiest buildings along with POFQ's of any WDW resort.

POFQ is in the middle of a refurb right now, it will be done sometime in late April from what I have read and then at some point after that (nobody knows how long exactly) they will begin on POR's refurb.

For early March, I would wait to add the waterparks onto your ticket right before you leave so you can look at the weather forecast. We have done waterparks in November but then found a couple of our March days last year to be a bit too cool. Lucikly we had a ten day trip so there were plenty of other days that were a bit more suited so we still got to go.

I forgot to add we were 1456 which is now a preferred room in bldg. 14. Great room!

Last edited by Amy&Dan; 02-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
calngavinsmom
Mouseketeer

Rooms 1849 and 1850 (AB Building 18 2nd floor connecting rooms one being a corner room facing the river) were lovely and not at all worn this past September. Great location too. It was our first stay at POR and enjoyed it so much we are returning in October for our 15th wedding anniversary

2nd floor view

looking at building

view from ground level (under our room location)

Have fun

Last edited by calngavinsmom; 02-16-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added pics
calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjam View Post
We stayed in building 16 of AB in December and our room was great. It didnt look worn at all.
We were in bldg 16, room 1656. It was in fine condition, clean and the perfect location!
Sugar Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We just returned from our second stay at POR. Our rooms were clean, and in decent condition.
We prefer Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor in the mansion section.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
mullysisters
Mouseketeer

Acadian House 2nd floor

We stayed at POR in June of 2010. Requested and were put in Acadian House because it is close to the main building and pool (but not too close) It was across the river. Our room was wonderful and seemed clean and bright, no sign of wear.
I would definitely stay there again, or in AB section.

May 2014 - AoA solo trip!
mullysisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
Rooms 1849 and 1850 (AB Building 18 2nd floor connecting rooms one being a corner room facing the river) were lovely and not at all worn this past September. Great location too. It was our first stay at POR and enjoyed it so much we are returning in October for our 15th wedding anniversary

2nd floor view

looking at building

view from ground level (under our room location)

Have fun
Ahh, that is the Port Orleans I know and love! Have fun on your anniversary trip, what a perfect place to celebrate.

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
katrincarroll
Earning My Ears

Good luck for getting a good room. In 2009 I req. A room near lobby as my wifeis legally blind and is walking limited. We were put in bldg. 85 and had to drive to front to go to gift shop, boatwrights, or catch a bus. My sister was unable to visit gift shop or Boatwrights without a ride. Try bldg. 14.
katrincarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjam View Post
That's where we were last year and I agree, it was great.

New this year they offer preferred rooms in buildings 14,15,18 & 27. It's a little more per night, but it's worth it to be in a room close to the foot court & bus stop. Of course building 16 is right there, and would not cost the extra money.

We are booked preferred for our trip at the end of May. I'm ready to go!!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Sorry to hi-jack, but has anyone ever had a king room, that was also a corner room?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Sorry to hi-jack, but has anyone ever had a king room, that was also a corner room?
The three times I have had king rooms (they usually book me in a king because I go alone) they were always corner rooms.

This year, I got a first floor room, riverview at Parterre Place about 30 feet from the river. It was heavenly. And I should add, my rooms have always been immaculate there.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

We were there in December and stayed in AB 3814 and it was a great location. The room was fine. The bathroom could use a bit of a update but it was still a nice room and far far nicer than AllStar Music. We liked it so much we are going back in January Have a great trip!!!

The best thing about POR was their excellent customer service
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
We were there in December and stayed in AB 3814 and it was a great location. The room was fine. The bathroom could use a bit of a update but it was still a nice room and far far nicer than AllStar Music. We liked it so much we are going back in January Have a great trip!!!

The best thing about POR was their excellent customer service
If they are indeed doing the same thing they are doing at POFQ and they start right after that resort is completed, you will most likely have an updated room with a brand new bathroom.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
ValinWV
DIS Veteran

We went last summer and stayed in the mansions. I don't remember which building. It was nice and didn't look run down at all. In fact we are going back this summer.
2000 Off Property 2000-December -Off Property2005 All Star Movies 2006 All Star Sports 2007 Pop Century 2008 Pop Century 2008 Pop Century2009 Pop Century2010 Contemporty Resort2010 Port Orleans Riverside
2011 Split stay Port Orleans Riverside & Contemporary Resort.2012 Port Orleans Riverside
ValinWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
por

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: