DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: DVC+ ???
DVC Only – don’t need anything else 177 68.08%
DVC Only - but may want to add others in future 39 15.00%
Also HGVC - Hilton Grand Vacation Club 1 0.38%
Also Marriott Vacation Club 5 1.92%
Also RCI Points 2 0.77%
Also Worldmark 0 0%
DVC + another timeshare, or a variety of the above 33 12.69%
Don’t own DVC, or any timeshare at this time 3 1.15%
Don't own DVC, but do own another timeshare 0 0%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #31
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

I checked off DVC + Other.
We own 420 DVC Points (that my mother purchased for us and pays the maintanance) (LOVE IT!)
3 bedroom at OLCC in Orlando, fixed week (LOVE IT!)
3 bedroom at Waterside by Spinnaker in HHI, fixed week in summer (LOVE IT!)

I have two teens now and don't know how the heck we managed in a hotel room when the kids were smaller!!
Our first was OLCC, Second HHI and third was DVC.
Love them all!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #32
Mom B
DIS Veteran

We have our DVC, plus our home 'in town' and our "farm" out in the country. Between home and the farm, it seems all we do is work, work, work (lawn mowing, maintenance, etc.) 3 seasons of the year so our winter getaways at our DVC home are our "real" vacations...any more than that would be way too complicated for me!!
PO 11/92, WL 10/97, OKW/VB 1/99, ASMo/OKW/Royal Mansions 10/02, BWV 1/04, SSR/BWV 1/06, OKW/VB 1/07, SSR 1/09, VB/AKV/SSR 1/10, VB/OKW 1/11, VB/AKV 1/12, VB/First Members Cruise on the Disney Dream/AKV 1/13, BLT 9/13, 40th Anniversary OKW 1/14, VB/AKV All Family Reunion Trip 10/14, VWL/CB 1/15 - The best is yet to come!

10/2004 DVC members Vero Beach 5/2008 DVC members Old Key West 1/09 DVC members Animal Kingdom Kidani
Mom B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #33
tidefan
DIS Veteran

We own DVC and a fixed week at Diamond Resorts Royal Palm Beach Club in St Maarten that we got resale about 6 years ago. We really like RPBC, in fact, we have used it every year and have never traded out (it trades through RCI, in fact, it is on the DVC RCI list). They refurbished the units about 4 years ago when it was Sunterra and it is great.

However, they then were bought out by Diamond 3 years ago and our MF have gone from around $800/week 3 years ago to almost $1400/week this year. At that rate, I don't know if we will keep it too much longer.

Upcoming: SSR, DVC Alaskan Member Cruise & Aulani
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
tidefan
DIS Veteran

We own DVC and a fixed week at Diamond Resorts Royal Palm Beach Club in St Maarten that we got resale about 6 years ago. We really like RPBC, in fact, we have used it every year and have never traded out (it trades through RCI, in fact, it is on the DVC RCI list). They refurbished the units about 4 years ago when it was Sunterra and it is great.

View from Room

Another View from Room (before they built Pelican Marina)

Plane Landing at Princess Juliana Airport over Maho Beach

Pinel Island (Ilet Pinel)

Guavaberry Shop

However, they then were bought out by Diamond 3 years ago and our MF have gone from around $800/week 3 years ago to almost $1400/week this year. At that rate, I don't know if we will keep it too much longer.

Upcoming: SSR, DVC Alaskan Member Cruise & Aulani
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #35
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Found links to Worldmark Owner Education materials that do not require login:
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
sajetto
Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
I could eat Pad Thai everyday
I was gonna put Val Kilmer next

I guess we should be in an "other" category.

The only timeshare we own is DVC and we learned that we own WAY too much. We have 601 points and just went under contract to sell 300 of them. Honestly, 301 is probably still too much for us. We own a house in North Myrtle Beach so we spend a lot of time there. No flames, but for us, we feel it is much better investment of our money to put it toward real estate which is an actual asset than into a timeshare that depreciates. We love DVC, but I doubt we'll ever buy any more points or that we will ever buy any other type of timeshare.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Wow, 601 is a lot, unless using the 2BRs or Grand Villas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajetto View Post
I guess we should be in an "other" category.

The only timeshare we own is DVC and we learned that we own WAY too much. We have 601 points and just went under contract to sell 300 of them. Honestly, 301 is probably still too much for us. We own a house in North Myrtle Beach so we spend a lot of time there. No flames, but for us, we feel it is much better investment of our money to put it toward real estate which is an actual asset than into a timeshare that depreciates. We love DVC, but I doubt we'll ever buy any more points or that we will ever buy any other type of timeshare.
Actually I don't think homes or timeshares are assets, they are both luxuries to be enjoyed. Sometimes homes go up in value, sometimes down, many people in country are way underwater with their homes, some they had to abandon homes when they needed to move (bank has to foreclose), as no way to sell and cover the existing mortgage, or short sale. My definition of asset is something that produces net cash flow, usually on monthly or annual basis, or something that is readily liquid asset such as cash, gold, silver, stock, etc.

Great that you could sell off some of your DVC points if not using. We find when staying in the DVC 2BRs, which are our favorites for now, the points go fast for our visits to Disney, so our 350 is good for just a 1 week trip to Disney every year.

But what we need now is a timeshare plan for traveling other places, as my husband is asked to attend conferences and give speeches around the world. He is now invited to Dublin, Ireland and to San Diego, CA, but they don't cover his cost for the entire family to come along, so we usually look for other accomodations. In the past, we've rented 2BR condos, but this usually cost us about $3000 total such as last trip to Montreal. Problem is that there is also an ick factor to renting other people's condos, their tastes, level of cleanliness, etc, and you never know what quality you really are going to get when you arrive. It can be a surprisingly uncomfortable experience we've learned.

Brand names such as Disney, Hilton, Marriott, Westin, all come with certain known levels of quality and management. I've always been pleased with Hilton hotels. So after doing my research, I'm looking into buying a small Worldmark points contract (once you are in this club, can just rent points pretty cheaply to add on), plus a Hilton plan. Hilton offers destinations around the world, can stay 3 days or 10 days with their point system, and not be stuck with a Sunday through Sunday fixed week. In the short and long run, think this will save us a lot of money, and we can get the benefits of Hilton quality. I like to think of the buy in cost for DVC or purchase price of TS as a club joining fee - like a country club or something. Think that is more really what it is, not an investment, just something to enjoy.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #38
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Wow, thank you! Worldmark sounds really good too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Found links to Worldmark Owner Education materials that do not require login:
Great links, thanks. What's even better is that I'm reading on TUG that many Worldmark point owners are thrilled that they can take their relatively cheap Worldmark points that can be deposited either RCI & II and traded for places like Marriotts. It may be good to buy just for the trade value alone perhaps? Of course, from other perscpective such as a WM owner, highest prize is a DVC score on RCI, as goes to show, DVC'ers don't really like to trade out their points that often! Although Worldmark points could snag us a Marriott once in a while which would be fun, reading up on the Marriott vacation ownership system - it's still 1st generation TS, so inflexible, and very expensive, high MFs too limited to week stays. Don't think would consider buying Marriott TS as don't think would work for our needs, but probably good for those for those who love Marriott quality and do the one week fixed type trips every year. Worldmark is such a better business concept, just hope that they can manage all their locations with some consistency of quality. Think it is probably a good trader, since have both II and RCI available to pull from! Trying to read up on their business plan to have better understanding how it works.

How many WM points do you recommend to equal 2BR red week stays for 1 week? I'm thinking 12,000, but since can bank and borrow just like DVC, then maybe 6,000 would be enough to use for every other year to get started to see how we like.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #39
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardwalkSuzy View Post
How many WM points do you recommend to equal 2BR red week stays for 1 week? I'm thinking 12,000, but since can bank and borrow just like DVC, then maybe 6,000 would be enough to use for every other year to get started to see how we like.
My first thought was 12k -- even before reading your next line. While I periodically "rent" credits (points) from other owners, I prefer having sufficient credits in my own account to cover my normal travel expectations. If/when we rent credits it is to cover the less frequent spikes in our pattern.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

We own at OKW, and recently sold our SSR contract to buy Wyndham points at Great Smoky Mountains.

Worldmark and Wyndham are both owned by Wyndham, but are very different resort systems. Worldmark is very strong out west and Wyndham is stronger in the east and in Hawaii, although they are expanding rapidly in the west.

What we like about Wyndham is far more choices than we have with DVC (82 resorts if I counted correctly - something over 120 if you count affiliates), much lower costs, and far greater exchange availability (6,500+ RCI resorts vs 600 with DVC because we get a free full RCI membership with Wyndham). We also enjoy direct online booking for both Wyndham and affiliated resorts, and also direct online booking with RCI.

Costs: We bought a 501,000 point contract on eBay for less than $2,000 total including all costs. The contract came with some current year points which we deposited into RCI, and also with some "banked" points (called "credit pooling" in the Wyndham system). You can buy small Wyndham contracts on eBay for $1, and in some cases the seller will pay the closing costs. Larger contracts are more, but nothing like buying either DVC or Wyndham direct.

There is no conversion between the points systems, so you just have to try to compare accommodations to accommodations (which is approximate on its best day). The two most recent comparisons I've done were between a stay at OKW at our cost per point vs Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Aulani, DVC/RCI, and Wyndham's Waikiki Beach Walk.

OKW, at our $7 per point rough estimate would have cost us about $189 per night (27 points) for a one bedroom Sun-Thurs. Our cost for Wyndham for the same dates ($5.20 per 1000 points X 9) made our cost for Bonnet Creek just under $47 per night. Obviously, OKW would enjoy the onsite perks, but both have good bus systems and are virtually the same driving distances to anywhere we'd want to go.

Looking at Hawaii, for a week in a one-bedroom, I got the following costs:
  • Aulani, Island View = $2,254 or $322 per night at our $7 cost
  • Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk, 1 BR Deluxe (comparable to a DVC one-bedroom), lower floor = $1,385 or $198 per night
  • DVC/RCI would be 160 points = $1,120 or $160 per night at our $7 cost...but of course we don't know what availability would be, if any.
  • I didn't check RCI through Wyndham

That's not an apples to apples comparison. Aulani is obviously beachfront and Wyndham is across the street from the beach. But both are on Oahu, which would not be in my first three choices of islands anyway, and Aulani is in an area of Oahu that I wouldn't choose ordinarily.

Cons of Wyndham:

Their sales practices are probably not the worst in the entire timeshare industry, but it's not from lack of trying. They're pretty sleazy. But, as hard as they try, they can't force anyone to attend an "owner update."

It's a new system to learn...and it's more than just terminology. Knowing DVC makes it easier to understand Wyndham, but the aspects of the systems like exchanging, banking, borrowing, etc work somewhat differently.

Some count the small transaction fees as an annoyance, but I personally like them because allocating costs to each transaction more accurately and fairly spreads the costs IMHO. A person who makes/changes reservations 20 times a year should pay more than a person who only does 3 bookings.

Also, bigger contracts (which we own) pay lower dues per point than smaller contracts. Since there is a base administrative cost to every contract, that would be one change DVC might make in the future that many would absolutely hate, but we would approve. Currently all DVC owners are subsidizing the dues of the small contracts which have proliferated greatly in the last few years.

Wyndham is weak out west, but getting better rapidly.

Last edited by JimMIA; 02-21-2011 at 04:52 PM.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #41
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

DVC only! The resorts are close to us, 2 1/2 hours away, I don't do COncierge or anything else. I bought it just to fill in for school holidays, a few long week-ends during the year, and a week in June right after school lets out. We vacation elsewhere but I don't want to be tied down to another type of timeshare. I don't want to pay maintenance, dues or have to vacation on particular time frame. We vacation with friends in TN & ME and rent vacation homes, I have family in France and England and stay with them when I do jaunts to Europe, I'm good just with DVC!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #42
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardwalkSuzy View Post
Great links, thanks. What's even better is that I'm reading on TUG that many Worldmark point owners are thrilled that they can take their relatively cheap Worldmark points that can be deposited either RCI & II and traded for places like Marriotts. It may be good to buy just for the trade value alone perhaps?
From what I've read, NO timeshare really gets full value with any kind of exchange...although that's one of those oft-repeated cliches to which there will be exceptions. I've seen posts by lots of folks who've been thrilled with the value they got (including DVC, Worldmark, Wyndham, and Bluegreen).

With Worldmark, I think there are two advantages. One, they are very strong in the western US. Anywhere else, not so much. <struggles to remember the last time he actually contemplated a vacation to Galena, IL> .And two, their annual maintenance fees tend to be quite low.

However, with either Wyndham or Worldmark, be very leery of all those pretty dots on the map. The red dots are the resorts you might actually be able to book. The other dots are "affiliate" resorts and those dots are there to make the system look bigger and more accessible than it really is. The reality is, you have very little chance of getting a reservation at one of those different-colored dots.

With Worldmark, that means you are pretty much limited to the western US and a few places in Hawaii.

You mentioned booking timeshares for conferences. Frankly, as one who has done a lot of conferences, I seriously doubt I'd book any timeshare for that use. First of all, unless your attendance is scheduled a year or more ahead of time (not my experience), you would have great difficulty booking. And then, there's the question of destination -- you'd probably have great options in San Diego with Worldmark (as does Wyndham and surely other systems) and none anywhere in Ireland.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
From what I've read, NO timeshare really gets full value with any kind of exchange...although that's one of those oft-repeated cliches to which there will be exceptions. I've seen posts by lots of folks who've been thrilled with the value they got (including DVC, Worldmark, Wyndham, and Bluegreen).

With Worldmark, I think there are two advantages. One, they are very strong in the western US. Anywhere else, not so much. <struggles to remember the last time he actually contemplated a vacation to Galena, IL> .And two, their annual maintenance fees tend to be quite low.

However, with either Wyndham or Worldmark, be very leery of all those pretty dots on the map. The red dots are the resorts you might actually be able to book. The other dots are "affiliate" resorts and those dots are there to make the system look bigger and more accessible than it really is. The reality is, you have very little chance of getting a reservation at one of those different-colored dots.

With Worldmark, that means you are pretty much limited to the western US and a few places in Hawaii.

You mentioned booking timeshares for conferences. Frankly, as one who has done a lot of conferences, I seriously doubt I'd book any timeshare for that use. First of all, unless your attendance is scheduled a year or more ahead of time (not my experience), you would have great difficulty booking. And then, there's the question of destination -- you'd probably have great options in San Diego with Worldmark (as does Wyndham and surely other systems) and none anywhere in Ireland.
I think the value of timeshares is learning the system and using it to your advantage. That's esp true with exchanging. I could never have taken the trips I've taken had it not been for timeshares. I find that DVC is my least value compared to costs and return though we do enjoy it as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #44
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Just added Hilton Club NY and Worldmark

Thanks for all the recommendations. We are excited that we added on some other vacation clubs that will allow some other options. To keep us busy traveling seeing new places, we added on Worldmark points that has good reviews, and has many nice places to stay on west coast, and also Hilton Club NYC, with points that can be used for any Hilton affiliated hotel or resort too (Conrad, Embassy Suites, etc). Got enough points for 2BR for 2 weeks NYC (but half will be used for other Hilton locations internationally that could spread the time to about 4 weeks), and points enough for 2BR for 1 week west coast destinations using Worldmark, perhaps Vancouver visit first. Of course, bought resale - never buy new, never buy direct from developer, never ever finance.

Renting 2BRs or 3BRs at WDW, DL, and major cities can be SO EXPENSIVE, and almost impossible to find availability, and being part of a vacation plan does make so much sense if need space for larger family. We used to rent condos, but would end up with futon hard beds, poorly equiped places, always something weird when renting from private owner, so don't really like doing that anymore.

But IMHO if only need studios when vacationing, DO NOT thnk it ever makes any financial sense to pay for vacation plans or timeshares for only studio use. You can almost always find better prices for rentals of timeshare studios on eBay, VBRO, Redweek, etc, or just book regular hotel room. I've noticed the rentals for timeshare or vacation club studios usually don't even cover the MF's, so think very bad financial decision if your travel plans are for studios only. Also, regular reservations via hotel are so much more flexible, as opposed to Vacation Plans that require that you plan WAY ahead, and must also buy trip cancellation insurance as difficult to cancel. Most hotels just require 24-48 hours of cancellation notice, some even less.

But if need the extra space, need a kitchen perhaps, and have a big family and are able to plan WAY ahead, think vacation clubs do make perfect sense but only if reputable company is managing, and only if it provides flexibility (able to rent for enough to cover MF, easy to resell at least for a penny, and easy to exchange via RCI or II, or SFX), and ONLY IF PAY CASH, not finance. I found little negatives about HGVC, Hilton City Club, DVC or Worldmark. Most everyone has been thrilled with these vacation plans, all of which use the flexible point system. After staying in a 2BR at Villas Grand Californian, don't think can go back to regular studio hotel rooms again, except for 1 night stays when on the road of course. I just keep thinking of those little full beds over at Best Western or HoJo across the street from DL that we crammed ourselves into (our family of 6), several sleeping on floor between the full beds, then about our "house" we got at Grand Californian last Decmber. There's simply no comparison. It just makes all the difference adding some quality to your valuable and limited vacation time.

Last edited by BoardwalkSuzy; 03-02-2011 at 08:25 AM.
BoardwalkSuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #45
bgraham34
Wilderness Lodger

DVC only here. I need more DVC points before doing anything else. I just need 25-35 more to be where i need to be.

bgraham34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hgvc, marriott, poll, rci, worldmark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: