DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: DVC+ ???
DVC Only – don’t need anything else 177 68.08%
DVC Only - but may want to add others in future 39 15.00%
Also HGVC - Hilton Grand Vacation Club 1 0.38%
Also Marriott Vacation Club 5 1.92%
Also RCI Points 2 0.77%
Also Worldmark 0 0%
DVC + another timeshare, or a variety of the above 33 12.69%
Don’t own DVC, or any timeshare at this time 3 1.15%
Don't own DVC, but do own another timeshare 0 0%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
... and the Jersey Shore just doesn't feel like a vacation to some.
Shock! No! I'm in disbelief ... please say it ain't so!

I'm sooooo hugely thankful for the effort and expense my folks invested renting a beach cottage each summer on Long Beach Island. Looking back, my entire childhood was formed by "vacation memories": the beach cottage, my Great Aunt/Uncle's vacation home on the Gulf, our RV trips, long roadtrips to anywhere/everywhere, ... the first family trip to Europe, etc. No wonder I vacation so often ... it all makes sense now.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

HGVC, Hilton Club or Worldmark points like DVC?

So far we just have DVC but thinking of adding elsewhere too. We've tried renting condos when we travel, but can be bit hit & miss. Been doing some research on options outside of DVC. Looks like it's good to sign up and join TUG, Redweek, and VBRO if own any timeshare to see trading options, get more info, etc.

So far I've found that HGVC & Worldmark works much like DVC with point system, plus everyone raves about Worldmark points that sell for only $1 per point like on eBay to use for exchanges, etc. Worldmark offers mostly basic, not luxurious resorts, mainly situated pacific northwest. HGVC Flamingo Vegas has no ROFR so sounds good with low maintenance fee, luxurious pool for kids, right on strip. Also Hilton Club NYC @ 1335 Av of Americas sounds fantastic - dedicated two top floors all with city views and offers 2BRs. Just got off phone with Hilton, and they said HGVC is separate club from their Hilton Club. Hilton vacation club points also easy to use at any Hilton hotel as well.

Disney offers through Concierge the Loews Regency NYC but biggest room available is just a one bedroom, not what we are looking for (need 2BR).

Looks like both Worldmark and HGVC allows for stays more or less than the 7 day fixed week, just like DVC does. But Marriott and Hyatt doesn't seem to have enough options and are too resort and week specific, but particular resorts such as Aruba for Marriott may have good trading power through exchange services, but MF's high.

Still we are leaning toward adding Hilton Club and Worldmark, at least at some point so kids can see more variety of places than what the Disney affiliations offer (and tend to be mostly beach, golf, or skiing oriented if not Disney). We are looking for more of the options that include metropolitan city stays, for museum visiting, theater, etc. If anyone likes HGVC or Worldmark, could you share experience? I've also read that many HGVC resorts offer childcare centers too, just like Disney but don't know which ones yet.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We just became DVC members this past September (BLT is our home resort) and also own at Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort, which we are currently trying to sell. We want to strictly be DVC members....DVC is more my family's taste.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
deerislemaine
Mouseketeer

We own a vacation, and we've never been interested in a timeshare before DVC. The attraction for us was a Disney vacation without the expenses and responsibilities of upkeep of a vacation home. We still like the vacation home though. For other trips we'll just stay in a hotel or camp.
deerislemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #20
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardwalkSuzy View Post
If anyone likes HGVC or Worldmark, could you share experience?
BoardwalkSuzy,

Although I rated our Worldmark as my 2nd favorite -- that isn't far off from "near perfect" for us. Rather than go through a blow-by-blow of differences between WM vs DVC -- see if someone can send you a copy of the WM Owner's Education Manual (pdf file). I went to post the link for you -- but it now requires login to access (). The copy I have on my computer right now is Feb 2010. A few things to specifically look for:
  • Housekeeping fees and tokens. (Every stay incurs a housekeeping (HK) fee. Each WM account receives at least one HK token per year; additional HK tokens are included with larger account sizes.)
  • Reservation Windows -- including the Red-Season rules.
  • Bonus Time, Inventory Specials and other cash-reservation options.
  • Reservation Cancellation policy.
  • Weekend-only policy.
  • Club properties vs affiliate/associate properties.

As for "basic, not luxurious resorts" description -- I would agree but be advised that many properties now offer "penthouse" and even better "presidential" rooms. If you wish to spend the points -- these are seriously upgraded units! Our last penthouse unit had 3 master bedrooms, deep soaker tubs in each bathroom, and a private 8-seat hot tub on the balcony. Even most "basic units" include a gas BBQ on each unit's balcony/patio and murphy-beds instead of fold-out couches. Overall, I find WM units to be both functional and quite comfortable

-- bwvBound
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
musical2
DIS Veteran

For us in order of purchase:
Aruba Renaissance
Marriott Manor Club
DVC Old Key West
Marriott Ko Olina

musical2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #22
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Wonder why no Hilton fans?

Seems many DVCers like quality of Marriott, some like the Worldmark points system, and many have vacation homes or other timeshares. But why doesn't anyone like Hilton? Funny, because that's the one other vacation club besides DVC I was interested in the most, works much like Disney DVC.

Just learned that Marriott banned smoking from all its resorts in 2006, while Hilton still catering to smokers with up to 10% rooms set aside for smokers. Maybe that is reason enough right there.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #23
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

I own DVC + a ski week in Utah
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

With DVC, at least there is a minimum loss in that DVC props up the pricing as they continue to raise rates. That and my enjoyment of DisneyWorld were the two reasons we bought DVC. The only reason resales are weak is the economy. It will get better and they will come back.

With any other timeshare, you lose a significant amount the day you sign the contract. I've seen contracts for sale with other timeshares in Orlando like Vistana that look like the sale price is less than 50% of the original buy price.

I'm not knocking their quality, whch in many cases may equal or exceed DVC. I'm just saying that if there is a need to sell, you are minimizing your losses at DVC. I do understand many people purchase for the pure enjoyment and in my case that enjoyment factor was very high, but I did consider the possibility of having to sell due to financial difficulties.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV

Last edited by corpcomp; 02-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
BoardwalkSuzy
Mouseketeer

Agree! That's why always best to buy resale & with cash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcomp View Post
With any other timeshare, you lose a significant amount the day you sign the contract. I've seen contracts for sale with other timeshares in Orlando like Vistana that look like the sale price is less than 50% of the original buy price.
That's why think important to buy a TS with all cash, not finance, and always buy resale. That way, when go to sell, you can just forget about what you paid, as you got to enjoy it many years, and with no loan on the purchase, don't have to worry about selling at high enough price to cover the loan.

Of course, DVC is a luxury purchase, not an asset anyway. Another aspect of DVC that I like is that is expires when I'm too old to travel anymore, and then just don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Dude View Post
I own DVC + a ski week in Utah
That's us as well. Love Marriott Mountainside, currently am listed as an owner (though mom pays MF still since she bought it!) on one week every year and another week every even year. Trying to convince my mom to switch to points for the flexibility but the conversion fee is killer.
Marriott quality is great, and we get nights credited for the stays there which quickly launched mom to being a Platinum member. Program is great if you buy where you want to stay, which I think is the key to all timeshares if you lack the flexibility of going whenever.
Though if DVC had a slopeside location we might be convinced to switch to all DVC ...
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
123Disney
DIS Veteran

DVC +Wyndham points and a floating week (2 bedroom) at a lake near our home. Works out great for us.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
disney11fan
DIS Veteran

:)

none.
disney11fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
Patricia721
Mouseketeer

We own DVC & a one week timeshare in Key West.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Marriott fixed weeks and destination points, Bluegreen points, RCI points and a MX resort that works on points. Trade through RCI weeks, RCI points and II normally.

Tags
hgvc, marriott, poll, rci, worldmark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: